Honest Abbe (a starship 20 years in the making)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Honest Abbe (a starship 20 years in the making)

Post by novahobbies » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:16 pm

This model.....is old. I think I first started this kit somewhere between 1996 and 1998. Back when kitbashing was new to me, and I was using balsa wood as a carving medium, and I just HAD to have an Abbe class starship, come hell or high water. I built this originally using parts from the Starcrafts Enterprise A (when that was a NEW model!), a poorly carved block of resin that I never finished for the torpedo hull, a carved balsa 'connecting hull,' and styrene engine pylons. And I thought I was so slick for laminating styrene to give the ship some emergency flush vents on the pylons, never mind that they were crooked as a drunken beetle trail. :D
I even still have a photo of the ship from back then. Scanned from an actual photo. 'member them?

Anyway, I kept it, warts and all, and eventually I decided to upgrade the model and give it a fresh coat of paint and some new aztec pattern. This was when the 1K scale E-A had come out, and I had resized those decals down to 1/1400. In fact, this became the test model to see how those decals were going to look on a 1400 size ship. While I was at it, I drew up some decals to fix some of the more glaring issues with the weapons pod. The result wasn't half bad, but I still had yet to get around to filling in the empty sockets with actual photorp tubes in the torpedo pod. Nevertheless, the USS Crusader was officially born:

Those above photos are actually fairly recent. I'd decided to photograph it with the new base I made this year, but I knew it was still missing something important. I needed a new torpedo pod. I didn't want to mess with the old one and its crappy rough carved 20+ year old bits.

Enter Gidiot. In his kindness, he offered to share the .stl file of an Abbe class torpedo pod with me to print from Shapeways. A few weeks later, and I had an awesome FUD part in my hot little hand.

A few MONTHS later, and here we are. New pod, painted and decalled. Almost ready to glue to the old ship. But before I did I thought it would be fun to take some comparison shots between the Old & Busted and the New Hotness. As such:

(yes, I know there's a tiny bit of touch-up I need to do here. Argh.)

The difference is night and day, man. I'm going out now to re-print one misapplied decal, and then attaching the hull tonight. Many many thanks to Gidiot for helping to finish a two decade long project.....it really does feel good to see this kit in the condition it's in now. I'll post official FINISHED pics tomorrow after the pod is mated to the hull.
Oh, and yes -- the kit still has a balsa wood connecting hull, and a massive amount of putty mating the balsa to the styrene pylons. It looks fine under paint, so why fix what ain't broke? :D

Halgebra_A6N
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: Honest Abbe (a starship 20 years in the making)

Post by Halgebra_A6N » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:24 am

Lately I’ve been thinking about what an early 24th c. equivalent Abbe would look like using 1/2500 Ambassador parts to make a scaled-down 1/1400 scale ship. I haven’t done any sketches yet, but I like this saucer as a starting point:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KQRSJ ... -2500-hull

SKO
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SKO » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:48 am

Dang that looks great

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Barring any little additions I may get the wild hare to add (redo the bridge module, paint the saucer rim bands), I'm calling this done. And now with finished photos:

First, the Enterprise comes to see her off:

And some closeups...

Markus
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by Markus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:59 pm

Very neat! That new pod is quite an upgrade.

Now it matches the awesome paint job on the rest of the ship.

Return to “1/1400”