1/1000 Rebel Blockade Runner from Bandai

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

1/1000 Rebel Blockade Runner from Bandai

Post by jkb-1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:29 am

Star Wars Rebel Blockade Runner in 1:1000, packaged with a 1/350 Millennium Falcon, probably to bring the price point up to where the stores would find it worthwhile to stock the box. Some 18 pieces, showing me that my mind will never be up to engineering a kit:

You can see the parts of the engines along the bottom, and above them the top and bottom of the front of the ship. Above them are the left and right sides of a piece that runs from the docking ports to the neck, and mostly sits inside the pieces of the front. It was only in putting them together that I discovered that this piece holds the greebly details in the "trench" and on the side of the neck that would be lost in a simple top/bottom division.

You can see the alighnment pins are not snug enough to be Snap-Tite. If I had bought a bottle of glue while I was out I would be back into model building.
I was just intending to put enough of it together to determine the size. This includes a detail plate for the front of the hammerhead, including the window into the bridge, and couldn't be molded to the top/bottom halves.

It only measures 130 mm. Surprising. I'd been told it was 150 meters since I was first told it, but starwars.com now has it as 126.68m which is the first time I've heard a resizing calling for a smaller ship. (And is precise to centimeters, while correcting a 24 meter mistake.) Does anybody know where this comes from? Maybe a careful measurement of the bridge? Hmm... It looks like could be converted into a 350th pirate ship, the Falcon's airlocks substituting the docking ports and the cockpit attached to the inner neck.

Speaking of the Falcon, why not one in 1/1000? Here's a picture of the 1/350 top with the outline reduced to 1/1000.

I assume the lines are already as fine as possible, and would appear to be about 3 times larger on the smaller model. Is it worth doing the details, or should it be smooth and done with wallpaper decals? Speaking of decals, the Blockade Runner's "pressure sensitive" decals are only for the red trim, which has me wondering what the parts breakdown would have been if it had been molded in color.

A final thought: Do we owe recent 1:1000 kits to Polar Lights deciding on that for their new Star Trek scale? Some have hit it before, like AMT with the Excelsior, but since then the Space Battleship Yamato has jumped in with both fleet. I would hope for the freighters that evacuated Hoth, and especially the Medical Frigate, that's one they could throw a small Falcon into.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1/1000 Rebel Blockade Runner from Bandai

Post by Tesral » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Is there a 1/1000 falcon on shapeways?
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Tesral wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:37 pm
https://www.shapeways.com/product/4NY7F ... arketplace
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:39 pm

mophius wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:00 pm
Tesral wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:37 pm
https://www.shapeways.com/product/4NY7F ... arketplace
There you go.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “Off Topic”