P/Review 2018 Release 1:72 Runabout (with scratch built interior and lights).

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: P/Review 2018 Release 1:72 Runabout (with scratch built interior and lights).

Post by Steam235 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Another item that just wasn't given much attention back in the 90's - Phaser strips.
The phasers on top of the nacelle have vertical ridges, the ones on the bottom do not. The ones on the pylons do not, The worst phaser strips on the ship are the ones in the rear, under the windows, They are very much just blobs because that's where the sprue attached.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: P/Review 2018 Release 1:72 Runabout (with scratch built interior and lights).

Post by Steam235 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:37 pm

Wired up the switch on the dome base so here's a few pictures of the painted ship with the lights on.
IMG_0725.jpg
IMG_0726.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg
IMG_0728.jpg

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:19 pm

Sweet indeed.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by MEATLOAFr » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:49 am

beautiful work
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
NOW PRINTING WHITE DECALS
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:56 am

Final Thoughts...

It's an interesting position to be in, reviewing a kit from a few dacades ago. It bears all the trade marks of a kit made in the 90's. There are several issues that are par for the course for an older kit like this. Many modern kits, including the ones that Round2 has been putting out recently fit together almost perfectly, seems are naturally hidden, and gaps aren't an issue. I'm sure there are many modelers out there who have only built modern snap kits, who will have trouble with an older kit like this. I also think a lot of modelers will have fun using all of their skills to get this put together.

Pros.

It's a good sized kit. At 12 inches there it's a great canvas for a modeler to display their skills,
It's in a standard scale, which can make for a nice display with other franchise's models.
It's hollow, the pylons, even the sensor pod pylons come in two parts so you can fit wires inside.
You have room inside for an interior, lights, and anything else you would want.
There is a lot of molded detail.
It has a nice stand with a hollow rod.
Assembly is mostly easy and easy to build in sub assemblies.

Cons.
It's an older style of model, you will need putty. You'll have to spend some time fitting things together and sanding parts to get them to fit well.
You will need to be careful as you glue things.
Specifically the nacelle grills, there are no pins, slots or tabs to hold them in place as you glue them. You'll need a good strong quick glue to use as you hold them delicately in place.
The front of the warp pylons aren't clear when they'll need to be for lighting.
But none of these issues reach the point of frustration, or aggravation, it's just a bit more effort that has to be put in.

Overall this is a kit that will take some work to be made to look good. It's a great kit for a modeler to really go to town. I enjoyed working on an interior for it, I enjoyed adding lighting to it. I think there are many people who will enjoy this kit for the fun of making it their own, and customizing it.

Should you buy this kit?

If you like Star Trek DS9 Absolutely.
If you like kits where you do more than just snap and paint, if you like to get involved with a kit, and really put some time into it this a good kit to get.

This is also a good kit to start on if you want to practice before working on something like the 1701 D kit or the Voyager kit, both of those have harder fits, and bigger obstacles in being lit.

Here are my final pictures of my build. I do wish I had been able to spend some more time working on the seems, but we wanted to get this review done before the kit released.

Thank you for everyone who had kind words and thanks for reading!
IMG_0739.jpg
IMG_0743.jpg
IMG_0744.jpg
IMG_0747.jpg
IMG_0750.jpg
IMG_0751.jpg
IMG_0752.jpg

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:15 am

And just because it's in a standard 1:72 scale, we can do some fun pictures like these.
IMG_0759.jpg
IMG_0762.jpg

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:34 am

Great photos and a wonderful job, I particularly like the interior!

MEATLOAFr

Post by MEATLOAFr » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:52 am

Let’s hope the upgrade kit products become available again
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
NOW PRINTING WHITE DECALS
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

Return to “Misc”