Fur Babies

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Fur Babies

Post by Tesral » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:16 am

We lost Flower today, our 12 year old tortoise shell tabby. She was fine all day. Lap time and cuddly time. My Wife worked from home with Flower a near constant companion. She got her gooshy food at six.

Two and a half hour later we were at the Vet saying goodbye. A blood clot paralyzed her back end and the dead zone was spreading. She was in pain. The prognosis was...horrible.

Hearts are shattered over here. She died in our arms. We the living must somehow continue.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: Fur Babies

Post by trekriffic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 am

My heart goes out to you and your family. To lose her like this before her time is so sad. Take solace in knowing you did the right thing to end her suffering. Now it is those she loved and has left behind who suffer. Shed some tears and share some memories and know she is waiting for you in heaven where, someday, she will greet you, rubbing up against you and purring with happiness to see you again.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:45 am

Thank you Trekriffic. We are pretty numb at the moment. There was no clue the day would end like this.

WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:20 am

I'm so sorry to hear that, and that she was only twelve. And to go in that way. My sincere condolences. 2018 hasn't been good year for our feline friends.

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by TrekMD » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:03 pm

I'm really sorry for your loss. I know how difficult this is.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Numb right now. Petting the Fur Babies I still have. Everyone's comments are appreciated.

She was shy. A Shelter rescue we got in 08 shortly after the Death of Tiger. Shy, but sweet and loving. Susan was her girl. While I got occasional attention Sue was her preferred perch.

Sue worked from home Friday. Flower was all over her. Six PM we passed out the gooshy food and it was consumed with glee. At shortly before eight the boys in the gaming group came up to report she was acting strangely. Sue got her upstairs, she could not use her back feet. By the time we got to the Vet about 8:30 the damage as spread to her whole back end., She was in pain and we could tell. Even with aggressive treatment they gave her a 10-20% chance of recovery. It was hard, but not hard at all. We would not see her suffer. She went to sleep in out arms.

She offered herself for this in May. I happened to have a camera handy.
Flower-06-18.png

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:57 am

i don't know about others but 12 seems to be around the age they pass. as you know, mine did at that age. it seems so young and then things like that happen. it's just cruel.

i'm glad you have the rest of your fur babies for comfort. the numbness is to be expected, and if like me, will last for a good while.

i still talk to my little one, and feel her presence at times. like trekriffic said, all your fur babies are waiting for you in heaven, but imo they are also watching over you like little guardian angels.

i had to 'talk' a lot to my little one after she passed. for months. apologising for not being able to fix things, blaming myself, blaming the vet, blaming life. then those talks became more uplifting, assuring her she would never be forgotten and that she was treasured so very much, reminding her of all the good times that will stay in my heart forever.

i know it might seem weird to some, but it helped.

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:13 am

I had a cats go at 11 from a sudden illness too, I always thought it was cruel how things we humans may survive spell the end for them.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:11 pm

ProfArturo wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:13 am
I had a cats go at 11 from a sudden illness too, I always thought it was cruel how things we humans may survive spell the end for them.
You might have survived that, but you would have been paralyzed from the hips down. A thrombosis is a nasty thing.

Under the circumstances I'm thankful that if she had to leave it was not a long drawn out illness. Twelve is the start of cat geriatrics. They can live much longer. Missy lived to age 19. Zak in spite of everything, was 16. It was too young.

Xen, I'm there every day. Zak was one of those one in a million cats. Two years later I still miss him and reach across the bed feeling for his presence.

Return to “Off Topic”