Review of the Starcrafts USS Titan

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Review of the Starcrafts USS Titan

Post by novahobbies » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:56 pm

For anyone who was interested in Riker's hot ride, and was thinking of getting a larger scale model of it.....let me tell ya, the 1/1400 scale resin kit does not disappoint. Come take a look at it here:
Novahobbies Retro Review USS Titan

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: Review of the Starcrafts USS Titan

Post by trekriffic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Nice model. Did you use brass rod to pin the pylons and primary hull to the secondary hull? Any worries about nacelle sag down the road?
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Great review and good looking model. Sadly I need to finish my other 6 kits first.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:23 pm

trekriffic wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:31 pm
Nice model. Did you use brass rod to pin the pylons and primary hull to the secondary hull? Any worries about nacelle sag down the road?
Good questions! So -- the model in the picture is just lightly tacked together w superglue to pin it for the pictures. But when the ship gets permanently assembled, I'm going to secure the joints between the engines, pylons, and secondary hull with brass rod for added strength, and I will *probably* reinforce the warp pylon itself with a strip of pre-curved thin brass strip laminated to the bottom of the pylon, then blended to match. That's been my go-to solution for most ships that have heavy engines for a little while and it seems to work well. The brass doesn't even need to be thick. It works mostly on the same principle as plywood; the lamination process with the glue really secures the part.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:19 am

Love the lamination tip! Reminds me of all the brass I used in my USS ABADDON dreadnought. That was styrene so it was technically over-engineered but so was everything about that ship.

😉
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “1/1400”