USS Thomas, NCC-12863 - Indomitable-class, early 24th Century

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

USS Thomas, NCC-12863 - Indomitable-class, early 24th Century

Post by Griffworks » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:46 am

About two months back, I started on the second Indomitable-class build. This one is Thomas, NCC-12863, named for Thomas Sasser. Custom decals just arrived today for this and for Sasser. The registry numbers are his birthday - December 8, 1963.

Nothing super special. The nacelles are meant to represent an experimental nacelle for this ship, which was commissioned in 2306. The nacelles are meant to be the grandpa of those seen on the Ambassador and Galaxy-classes of ships, which have similar wrap-around flux chillers.

The actual nacelles are the Talon-type nacelles from UGH! Models.

Gratuitous beauty shot!

This is my first time to successfully attach the ParaGrafix Modeling System PE for the planetary sensors. First time was about a year ago and I botched it pretty badly. I like it, thus far.

It's Tuesday and look what was installed in a timely fashion! Yes, she has photorp tubes.

No photon torpedoes, tho... Those'll be here next Tuesday, I heard.

Obligatory Album Link.

More later.

“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: USS Thomas, NCC-12863 - Indomitable-class, early 24th Century

Post by Griffworks » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:47 am

Originally, I gave Thomas a slightly different looking impulse vent set. I didn't like the final result - it made me feel sorta queasy to my stomach - , so I changed it up. I gave her a single impulse vent, implying a single impulse engine instead of two like on the Enterprise, Miranda, and Excelsior designs. To my thinking, this shows further continuity going forward into the Lost Years Era for the Ambassador and Galaxy class ships which have a single main impulse drive.

From my greeblies supply, I pulled some WAVE Option System U-Vernier parts. These are designed originally for Gundam models, but work great for a variety of non-Gundam bits-n-bobs.

These are my greeblies! There are many like them, but these sets are mine!

Test fitting. I did some sanding to the top, specifically the corners in an attempt to get a better overall fit.

Sanding some Evergreen V-Groove to-fit inside the vernier.

And glued in place. I'll blend it all together a bit later.

More to come!
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:52 am

this has been a treat to watch form,
It's amazing how you're "greeble-izing" the 3D print
into an even more awesome ship.

I like that 'vectored' impulse vent grille you made, very neat!

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:45 am

Thank ya for the kind words! I appreciate it a great deal. I have a lot of fun doing any build, pretty much. Tho they can occasionally be trying at some point doing the build, they're totally worth it, IMNSHO! Well, unless you're dealing with a true dog of a kit.

I didn't like how the starboard photorp tube was angled, so removed it - and broke both the thin resin of the tube and the printed plastic of the housings outboard "wall". So, I replaced the photorp tube then found some Evergreen sheet stock roughly the same thickness as the surrounding shrowd area, very carefully cut the upper and lower "walls" to allow the addition of a new section, then glued it in place.

After one previous attempt, this is the final result. I think it looks pretty good. And, of course, please keep in mind that the camera shows detail that the human eye wouldn't normally catch unless you used a magnifying lense. That rough exterior doesn't really show up until you have the model like two inches from your Mk I Eyeball.

More to come.

My Flickr Albums

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm

I like how this is turning out Jeff. Nice work and a fitting homage to Mister Sasser.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “1/1000”