1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

Post by novahobbies » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:45 pm

burwellian wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:34 pm
novahobbies wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:45 pm
Might build it as the USS Valdemar. :P
Slight OT; I so hope that's a Colony Wars: Red Sun reference...
Wiki says it's named for the inventor of the tape recorder. Sounds like a stretch. I always assumed it was a Mercedes Lackey literary reference. YMMV of course

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:26 am

novahobbies wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:45 pm
burwellian wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:34 pm
novahobbies wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:45 pm
Might build it as the USS Valdemar. :P
Slight OT; I so hope that's a Colony Wars: Red Sun reference...
Wiki says it's named for the inventor of the tape recorder. Sounds like a stretch. I always assumed it was a Mercedes Lackey literary reference. YMMV of course

1900: Magnetic recording on a wire demonstrated at the Paris Exhibition. The device was invented by Valdemar Poulsen in 1898
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:42 pm

Hey all!

I know its been a while since I posted, but I'm back.

Apologies for the long delay. Long about the time I stopped posting, I broke my hand and had to have restorative surgery - not fun. So after some recovery and recharging of modeling batteries, I went back to the bench.

A couple of things happened:
1. I found out the using cheap, acyrlic, Wal-mart craft paints to paint one's model is NOT, I repeat that, NOT the way to reduce the stress of a build.

2. I found out that thinning acrylic paint with water, especially to get it to an airbrushable form, is NOT a good way to thin. I had added so much water that it broke down the binding agents in the paint and cause the paint to be chalky - if that is a word.

3. I had to strip off all the airbrushed paint from the model in order to get it back to primer. (I had alcohol smelling hands for days!)

4. I purchased some Vallejo AV model paint, thinner, and surface primer and a new Iwata Medea IWN4500 NEO Gravity Feed Airbrush. Works like a champ. (In a word kiddies?! Don't skimp on the tools of the trade!)

5. I bought a full complement of Tamiya masking tape to use instead of blue painter's tape. When I used the blue tape, I tended to pull the top coat of paint off the primer - not that the craft paint mixture did me any favors in not bonding to the primer.

Here is the Stripped ship

After I stripped the paint off, I was able to get alot of headway done on painting. The paint was wonderful, after a few hiccups, and went down smoothly and dried to the expected semi-gloss sheen.

For the engines, I decided to use the Vallejo Mecha-color and painted the blue parts first. This will allow me to mask them off and paint the base color on the engines. Angryscifimodeler used the same approach, maybe I should say, I used the same approach as he did, and it seems to have worked well for him. I tried the other way and had a terrible time trying to mask the ribs off. Oh well.

I masked off the secondary hull and painted the blue accents and the grey secondary color. Once again, if you don't check what you are doing, you will get it wrong.

So, we're here again, at the masking and painting stage.

This time I tested the clean release of the Tamiya tape (I feel like I should take out some stock in this company!) from the Vallejo acrylic paint; and it released very easily with no paint lift.

The paint went on the saucer beautifully!

Always in a hurry, I removed the masking and found this underneath.

I thought I was happy with the masking and how color is where is it supposed to be; I even did some touching up thinking I would keep the paint scheme. But, I wasn't too sure about the stark contrast between the hull base color and the secondary color. After a test, I decided to remask and repaint with a lighter grey; but not before I roughened up the surface, to break the glaze on the darker paint, with 600 grit sandpaper.

This is a Dark Gull Grey Vallejo paint and it seems to have a bit of a greenish hue to it. The green/grey in combination with the Mecha Blue seems, IMHO, to work better than the darker grey. Fortunately, I haven't taken the masking off the saucer so I can cover the dark with the gull grey with minimal effort. Good thing I didn't go on or otherwise it would have been another step backward for this project.

But, pressing onward.

And that, Gentlemen and Ladies, should bring you up to date on where I am on the build. I still have the nacelle supports to mask and paint, so more time at the bench working on bending my upper back in half! :D

Thank for reading and commenting!

Steady as she goes!

Steve

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:49 pm

Woah, glad to see you back! So sorry you were having the model hiccups, but I have to say the current paint job looks BEAUTIFUL!

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:06 am

Great to see progress on this again, hope your hand is ok now!

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:26 pm

Good to see you back at the bench. And yes, quality tools are needed for quality results.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Greetings Fellow Modelers!

I was able to devote nearly the entire viewing of the second season of Star Trek Discovery to working on the model! (I'm so excited!)

So, as with any masking job, when you take the time to cut your own masks, it is a tedious labor of love; and each time you go through it, like I did for my NSEA Protector you repeatedly ask yourself "Why am I doing this?!" and promising yourself "I will NEVER do this again" only to find you still don't know and still do the masking! :D

Ventral Masks - this is for the bullseye that Dan840 mentioned.

Dorsal Blue masks - This masking makes possible the distinctive blue marking in the Enterprise C. Interestingly, I am using Gundam (Gunpla) Vallejo Mech Blue on it instead of the traditional Duck Eggshell blue. The Eggshell blue was too Cartoonish for me so I went with the Anime feel. I know, Irony!

Ventral Blue paint - It was kinda tough to mask the smaller inner rings. I'll probably have a load of touchups after I take the tape off. Ah well, such is the modeling life.

Dosal Blue paint - This stuff just goes on smoothly, like hot butter or warm toast. I did multiple coats to try and build up the color. So far so good.

Ventral Escape masks - ...and even more fun! Again, the spare saucer came in handy in making the paint masks.

Dosal Escape masks - This, THIS, is what took the majority of my time on the weekend - tediously masking out the escape pods. Fortunately, I had an extra saucer on which to cut the masks. Otherwise, it would have been much more labor intensive!

Thanks for all the support and wonderful comments. I hope to get this one done as I am itching to start something else - something that I haven't seen on here before.

As always, thanks for looking and for commenting.

More to come!

Hailing Frequencies Open!

Steve

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:24 pm

Greetings my Fellow Modelers!

Despite and extremely packed weekend, I was able to put in some time on the bench. Granted, it was demasking the saucer and secondary hull, but, still, its inching closer to final assembly.

So here are some update pics. It took me a couple of hours to carefully remove the masking. I still had some bleed-throughs that I have to touch up, but, nonetheless, I am finally further down the road to completion than I was in July, 2018. (Yes, it has been that long!)

Starboard Secondary Hull Escape Pods

I know I have some lines to straighten and additions to do, so be kind! :)

Port Secondary Hull Escape Pods. I left the masking tape around the pods nearer the Aft as I noticed the masking covered a portion of the escape pod.

Dorsal Primary Hull Escape Pods

Of course I had to do a light test - AWESOME! They still work! Plus, with all the painting that no doubt is on them now, you won't need a welder's mask to see the ship! XD

Ventral Primary Hull Escape Pods

Again, I will be in perpetual touchup mode, but I think it will be worth it! I also noticed some light leaks I'll have to deal with - so some thinking on that, too, is in order.

TaDAaaa!

That's all for now.

I have to figure out how to paint the escape pods on the B/C deck, the other details on the B/C deck, and the phaser strips and then I might get back to the engine pylons and its escape pods.

Whew! Time for the second wind to kick in! ;)

As always, thanks for reading, waiting, and commenting!

Stay strong and keep modeling on!

Steve

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:25 pm

Hey Y'all!

As you can see, I was able to paint the ventral phaser strips and a few more details.

At first I was thinking I had to go darker, kinda to match the Ambassadore class pics that are out there (Ya know, the ones with Doug Drexler in em!), until my Son pointed out the Enterprise strips and mine are pretty close in shading. So, YEAY! Less work!

I really, REALLY hope I can make time to do the dorsal and other strips this weekend!

Just a quickie to let you know I'm still alive!

Thanks for reading and posting. Honest opinions and constructive criticisms are welcome!

Hailing frequencies open!

Steve

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Hey Y'all, another one-shot on my progress.

I am busily doing touchups and am waiting to post more of a finished product. But, in the meantime, here is a peek at what I've been doing...

I went old school and painted the lifepods by hand. While tedious, it was less so than trying to mask and airbrush. I think it looks good, IMHO. I am working on the ventral of the saucer now as it need more attention than the dorsal.

Thanks, as always, for reading!

Steve

Return to “1/1400”