Star Trek Discovery Trailer(New Trek Series in 2017)

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Star Trek Discovery Trailer(New Trek Series in 2017)

Post by Moongrim » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:18 pm

I cannot explain that 'diehard' commentary.

I think I meant something else, but I'll danged if I can remember what.

The Conservative Trekkies I remember who claimed that Star Trek wasn't REAL Star Trek without Kirk/Spock/McCoy (TNG).
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:25 pm

Moongrim wrote:I cannot explain that 'diehard' commentary.

I think I meant something else, but I'll danged if I can remember what.

The Conservative Trekkies I remember who claimed that Star Trek wasn't REAL Star Trek without Kirk/Spock/McCoy (TNG).
Well, for ME a "diehard fan" is someone that demands that series and movies respect the original concepts. Said that I think that nowadays anyone that only likes TOS cannot be called a ST fan anymore since this universe has been expanded to something too much bigger. IMO those people aren't ST fans but TOS fans.

That's why I don't consider the JJA junk as ST. It simply doesn't respect anything.
Thanks,

Yan.

OrokaSempai
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by OrokaSempai » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:51 am

With the early cancellation of ENT, to me Star Trek was dead, at least in the form it was. With the bad showing of Nemesis (probably my fav TNG movie with First Contact in a close second, I like the battles), Star Trek was done. And it would still be done if they didnt change anything. did JJ go a bit overboard, darn tootin he did, but he turned star trek from a dead horse into a financial success for Paramount/CBS and they ordered more, then more, then more, then a new show. We are actually getting new Star Trek... and that is a good thing. It drives me nuts when people say 'id rather no star trek than jjtrek'... just wow, how closed minded, all I hear is a 11yo having a !!!!!!!! fit screaming 'STOP LIKING THINGS I DONT LIKE'.

Beyond was a step in the right direction (even the haters are giving it some props), and fingers crossed that the next star trek will step a bit farther in that direction (remember, we wouldnt have gotten TWoK without TMP...).

The Destiny creators are fans, even created the TMP era look (TWoK onwards), they have seen the rage jj created in the fans... they are not going to do something that will !!!!!!!! the fans off. Its going to be updated, it is going to be fresh... but it wont be a hard left turn.

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:09 am

Now, after taking the time to watch and rewatch the trailer, along with commentary from others, including a gentleman from the U.K. concerning the Discovery- I HAD to examine it with the eye of a Technician.

First Impression- (what everyone else thinks) That the Discovery is an amalgam of Federation and Klingon Empire Ship Technology. What I don't think it was- a willing contribution on behalf of the Klingon Empire. Why?

Several Reasons:

Further on- Looking at the Primary Hull- It seems to be a standard Federation Primary Hull- but there are key differences.
First off- the Phaser Turrets. They are located on both the Dorsal and Ventral sides. But their locations- are off. they are located at the 90 and 45 degree mark- I simply couldn't see any at the 0/forward point. The forward facing phasers seemed to be the ones most often used during a fire fight. These are located in a (to me) defensive position. She can defend herself, but combat is not her primary role.

Additionally- the top of the hull mirrors the bottom in respect that there is a trench or moat surrounding the castle at the center of the hull. And for some unknown reason- there are some ridges radiating out from the center. Design? I've no idea at this time. Shield generators? They remind me of the collar that the Engineering staff have on their white uniforms.
The moat mirrors the bottom of an Excelsior primary hull, only doubled. Why that design? I've no idea.

The Bridge- may not be located in the usual spot- the dome over what we would consider it to be- appears bigger, almost like it's another sensor dome- or extra physical shielding. Also- there is a barbican/bridge between the center dome turning into a spine down all the way to secondary hull. Not your usual Federation design- unless you're including the Jar Jar Abrams universe.
Looking at the secondary hull- triangular- yes. A glowing navigational deflector- not your usual TOS variety. Looks smaller too.
The Impulse Engines- location- on the Secondary Hull?! WTF? That is NOT a Federation Design! And their location- astride the wide shuttle bay. The Engineering hull? Or something else?
Warp Engines- Rectangular in look. And the Bussard Collectors. 3 in a row. Not in a triangular form like we did the Enterprise E: but in a row- side by side. Most interesting.
The Engines remind me of the Ahwahnee class ship...but that's probably quibbling.
Going further- there is the matter of the hull. Not your standard Federation- off white/light aircraft grey. But darker, more of a stained/burnished copper. Weathered.
A pair of other details- The Federation Emblem at the End- Broken. Into two pieces. What symbolism be that?
And as the UK gentleman pointed out- just before fade out and just after the ship has passed from view- there is the sound that is very reminiscent of a cloaking device being engaged.

Food for thought.
Preliminary Conclusion- Federation Cloaking Technology- ala Section 31.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by TrekMD » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:21 am

Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

trekmodelermichelle26
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by trekmodelermichelle26 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:46 pm

i dislike that youtuber he is a troll a hater and what is known as a toxic fan i have reported his channel for abuse and fake news multiple times and i even got most of my facebook trek friends to report him also and i posted a warning about him on all discovery fan groups and all new and modern trek groups as his is a horrid person

WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:54 pm

trekmodelermichelle26 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:46 pm
i dislike that youtuber he is a troll a hater and what is known as a toxic fan i have reported his channel for abuse and fake news multiple times and i even got most of my facebook trek friends to report him also and i posted a warning about him on all discovery fan groups and all new and modern trek groups as his is a horrid person
Welp, he's earned my sub.

trekmodelermichelle26
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by trekmodelermichelle26 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:10 pm

[quote=WarpNein post_id=68525 time=1534017282 user_id=1192
Welp, he's earned my sub.
[/quote]
so you will belive that fugly ass troll with his toxic fake news spewing mouth that guy needs to crawl back into whatever troll hole he came from

WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:19 pm

trekmodelermichelle26 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:10 pm
so you will belive that fugly ass troll with his toxic fake news spewing mouth that guy needs to crawl back into whatever troll hole he came from
Yep. I have a simple heuristic I developed from the last few years of pop-culture media hysteria: use of the word "toxic" automatically vitiates credibility.

Return to “General Trek”