STAR TREK Size Chart

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
Captain Robert April
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by Captain Robert April » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 pm

It all has to do with the licensing agreement with Bad Robot for the JJ films and a ten year noncompete clause preventing CBS from making its own Star Trek until JJ's version has run its course. Since that clause is still in effect, DSC is being made under the Bad Robot license, via Alex Kurtzman's production company, thus the legal requirement that everything and everyone be at least 25% different than mainline established Trek.

In other words, despite the happy talk from Kurtzman and Co., DSC is not canon and never will be. It's legally prohibited from being canon. And this also goes for the upcoming Picard show.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Captain Robert April wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 pm
It all has to do with the licensing agreement with Bad Robot for the JJ films and a ten year noncompete clause preventing CBS from making its own Star Trek until JJ's version has run its course. Since that clause is still in effect, DSC is being made under the Bad Robot license, via Alex Kurtzman's production company, thus the legal requirement that everything and everyone be at least 25% different than mainline established Trek.

In other words, despite the happy talk from Kurtzman and Co., DSC is not canon and never will be. It's legally prohibited from being canon. And this also goes for the upcoming Picard show.
Neither JJ Trek nor STD were a part of Canon as far as I was concerned, anyhow. This is just frosting on my Trek Cake. Thanks for making my day, Bob! :D
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Captain Robert April
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Captain Robert April » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:40 pm

I aims ta please.

:mrgreen:

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:45 am

"First thing we do is shoot all the lawyers." -- Hamlet
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 am

Captain Robert April wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 pm

I'm absolutely not a fan of JJ-Trek and even less of STD — I am the very last person to jump to Discovery's defence — but this supposed legal thing was clarified by CBS shortly after Eaves's FB post about having to change the Enterprise 25% as not being the case, and that it was simply a creative decision.

Which means that every and all canon inconsistencies — from the general production design/art direction, to the look of the Klingons, to Spock having a human step-sister, to the look of the Enterprise herself — is simply because the production team f*cking felt like changing everything.

And that, my friends, makes it even worse. Ugh.
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )

Captain Robert April
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Captain Robert April » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:38 pm

That's CBS covering its corporate posterior. There's no reason for Eaves to have made it up, or the producers, for that matter, so I put more credence in the initial slip than in the front office scrambling to put out a brush fire as more fans had the light bulbs go on. It was already known that reboots were not very popular among the diehards (of any franchise, not just Star Trek), hence all the happy talk about it being "prime." The only conclusion I can come to is that "prime" and "canon" are two different animals, and that Kurtzman and Co. are, on different occasions, either being disingenuous or outright lying.
Last edited by Captain Robert April on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:28 pm

It comes down to it is easier to throw everything under the bus than deal with those messy continuity issues. They figure they will get new fans that will not care, and we old fans can suck eggs with onions on our belts. Not to mention placing STD on a pay only service above and beyond what we already pay.

!!!!!!!! them and the bantha they rode in on.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:00 pm

FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:02 pm

The size of the USS Europa from Star Trek Discovery:
https://fleetyard.blogspot.com/2018/10/ ... imitz.html

FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:28 am

Here is a actualized Delta Quadrant size chart with the new ortho of the Vidian Cruiser:
https://fleetyard.blogspot.com/2018/10/ ... delta.html

Return to “General Trek”