STAR TREK Size Chart

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
Post Reply
shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:26 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by shiftdel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:26 pm

TrekMD wrote:...I think this impression from TNG "The Neutral Zone" is the only screencap in which you can realize the size
Sorry for resurrect this old post, but I found it just now, and actually there is another episode which allows for a better size estimation, it is season 3 episode 20 "Tin Man", where a Romulan Warbird pass exactly over the Enterprise, shotting at it on the process, and disabling it. The scene is fast, but as it pass over the enterprise, there are less perspective distortion.
tin_man_hd_191.jpg
warbird_vs_galaxy.jpg
warbird_vs_galaxy.jpg (86.48 KiB) Viewed 933 times
I will try to get a better shot, as if I am not wrong, on the sequence of this scene, there is a side view which shows the Warbird passing over the Enterprise.

User avatar
TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:57 pm
Location: Coral Gables, FL
Contact:

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by TrekMD » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:27 am

Yes, that's one of the instances where you can see the scale is off. The Warbird doesn't look quite as large as it is supposed to be, if I remember correctly.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
Image

User avatar
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 am

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by FLEETYARD » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:51 am

kobayashimaru wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:20 am
@fleetyard
does that revise the Oberth's overall length and beam as an increase or decrease to the overall dimensions? ...
Between each deck of Starfleet ships are Jeffries tubes. If the Oberth class were only 120,4m long, then it would have a deck height of 2,9m (-1m Jeffries tube = 1,9m for a room). That's just too small to be credible. That's why the Oberth class is bigger than on the ILM Size Chart.

User avatar
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 am

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by FLEETYARD » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:06 am


User avatar
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 am

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by FLEETYARD » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:08 am


User avatar
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:16 am

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by FLEETYARD » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 am

The new "old" TOS Enterprise seen in Discovery:
https://fleetyard.blogspot.com/2018/09/ ... -from.html

Image

User avatar
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by nova1972x » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:52 pm

FLEETYARD wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 am
The new "old" TOS Enterprise seen in Discovery:
https://fleetyard.blogspot.com/2018/09/ ... -from.html

Image
I do NOT like or watch STD, but I really like the STD Enterprise. It is what the JJprise should have been!

User avatar
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3553
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: Dearborn, Mi -- at my desk.
Contact:

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by Tesral » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:18 pm

nova1972x wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:52 pm
FLEETYARD wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 am
The new "old" TOS Enterprise seen in Discovery:
https://fleetyard.blogspot.com/2018/09/ ... -from.html

Image
I do NOT like or watch STD, but I really like the STD Enterprise. It is what the JJprise should have been!
I'm going to grump about the unnecessary changes, but yes. The JJprise is horrible. Even if you know nothing about Star Trek it is an unaesthetic beast, Based on the Golden Mean alone it sucks. (The Jefferies Enterprise is in accord with the golden mean in case you wondered.) The STD Enterprise is closer to the original proportions.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

User avatar
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by nova1972x » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:22 pm

Tesral wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:18 pm
nova1972x wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:52 pm
FLEETYARD wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 am
The new "old" TOS Enterprise seen in Discovery:
https://fleetyard.blogspot.com/2018/09/ ... -from.html

Image
I do NOT like or watch STD, but I really like the STD Enterprise. It is what the JJprise should have been!
I'm going to grump about the unnecessary changes, but yes. The JJprise is horrible. Even if you know nothing about Star Trek it is an unaesthetic beast, Based on the Golden Mean alone it sucks. (The Jefferies Enterprise is in accord with the golden mean in case you wondered.) The STD Enterprise is closer to the original proportions.


I watched a youtube video (not sure which one to be honest...probably trekyards) where it was explained that CBS had some weird legal reason they had to change the Enterprise by something like 25% from TOS. From a canon perspective, it makes no sense to have the Enterprise appear as it does in Discovery, but that does explain the real world reason.

In my own head canon, that design would work for a Phase II era Enterprise, though. It does look like a cross between the TMP refit and TOS Jefferies version.

User avatar
ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:06 pm

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by ProfArturo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:49 am

I'm not buying it, surely one either has the rights to use something or they do not, rather than an arbitrary percentage of it.

Post Reply

Return to “General Trek”