Now time for the STARCRAFTS Valdore!

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Now time for the STARCRAFTS Valdore!

Post by novahobbies »

Did a review for the Starcrafts version as well. I'll be starting in on this model in the next couple weeks, in fact. Looking forward to it!!!

https://novahobbiesdotcom.wordpress.com ... n-valdore/
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Now time for the STARCRAFTS Valdore!

Post by novahobbies »

I guess I'll use this as my build log as well! I got some forward progress on this big bird last week. After her bath, I bonded the upper wings to the main hull with 5 minute epoxy. I got a little over-happy with the epoxy, so I have some cleanup to do on the seams, but here's where we're at right now. First impressions.........DARN SHE'S BIG.

She dwarfs the Negh'var, which is no mean feat. If you have the Starcrafts Jem'hadar warship, here's how she looks out in front of that purple beast :

Besides the size difference, this pic sorta drives home the fact that I need to repaint the Jem'hadar. :( It was painted more than a decade ago and it's showing its age. But I digress.

I decided to lay down a light coat of the base coat green to see how it's going to look. I have to fix those wing seams before I move forward, but I do love the base coat green. I"m using the Starcrafts recommended color mix, which gives it a very metallic look. Most of the "green" we associate with this ship will actually be oils applied later.

That's it for now. I'll be working on seams - and finishing the aztec for the partner build, the AWACS Nebula, this coming weekend. Once those wing seams are done, I'll get started with the prepwork for lighting the ship. Some of the clear parts are slightly warped from storage, but nothing a heat gun can't handle.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

keep up the great work, it's shaping up nicely
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

A syringe, cut down flat 2mm needle and PPP is a seam filling dream device. Run a wet finger down it done.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Tesral wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:23 pm A syringe, cut down flat 2mm needle and PPP is a seam filling dream device. Run a wet finger down it done.
I am going to try that this weekend! Easy for me to get a hold of, I work in a doctor's office..... :lol:
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

novahobbies wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:54 pm
Tesral wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:23 pm A syringe, cut down flat 2mm needle and PPP is a seam filling dream device. Run a wet finger down it done.
I am going to try that this weekend! Easy for me to get a hold of, I work in a doctor's office..... :lol:
I have a bunch left over from giving subcu fluids to a cat. Keep the thing in water and you can leave it loaded. Take the angled tip off the needle. I found that works better. Also less chance of you injecting PPP into the hobbyist.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Tesral wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:17 pm
novahobbies wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:54 pm
I have a bunch left over from giving subcu fluids to a cat. Keep the thing in water and you can leave it loaded. Take the angled tip off the needle. I found that works better. Also less chance of you injecting PPP into the hobbyist.
Snagged a couple 3cc syringes and some 18g needles....and I have some thicker, probably 14g needles at home that are used for dispensing aptasiaX for the aquarium. Should be good to go!
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Some small work on the Valdore this weekend - got the wing joints puttied, and more paint work done. Clear parts got a coat of white, then black, to reflect and then light-block, and received their final coat of green....and the top of the main hull is looking pretty nice, too!

This week is pretty busy, so it's doubtful there will be much more done on this until the weekend. But it's getting close to time to start planning the lighting!
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Still makin' things green over here. Wish I had more time to work on the model during weekdays, but I'm reduced to witching hour work sessions for the time being. Still, it's nice....no interruptions! :lol:

These are all the clear parts, there was a lot of white-blocking, then light-blocking, that went on before the green could be laid down. I'm at the point where I can start putting some darker oils down on the kit.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

My main project for the weekend was adding the accent green to the Valdore. This REALLY brought out the colors for this ship..but it's a messy job. I used straight viridian green oil paint to get in and accent the panels, then rubbed away until the metallic green showed through.

Laying the green down:

Rubbing it back:

And continuing over the whole ship:

Now I have to let it dry a bit, then rub back a little more....then let it fully dry, which will take basically all week. But in the meantime, I couldn't help putting parts in their rough respective positions. Just to give myself a good idea of what I was in store for:

...damn that's a pretty ship. :D

Return to “1/1400”