Shark vs. Moebius 1/1000 scale U.S.S. Kelvin

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Shark vs. Moebius 1/1000 scale U.S.S. Kelvin

Post by Shark » Sat May 11, 2019 10:06 pm

So I got this kit a few days ago and blasted through the build and I thought I'd share what she looks like built up. The kid did have it's issues and oddities so I'll go through those.

Cons:

- The fit of the saucer rim pieces is rather poor, they're easy to locate but they leave a substantial gap between them and the saucer top and bottom. If you're a fussy modeler, you'll need your putty.

- Some of the details are either missing or questionable. After reviewing screen-grabs from the film I noticed that the port side windows at the back of the saucer are wrong. Minor issue in my mind, but still an issue. The raised paneling on the starboard aft side of the saucer does not appear on any of the reference that I have of the ship from the film. It's an odd choice by Moebius to add these. The missing panel located on the starboard aft of the saucer is also too big, it should be about one fourth the size of the one on the kit.

-The price is outrageous. There's no reason why this kit should be that expensive.

Those were it for the cons in my book. Some have said the panel lines are too deep, I would agree but having looked at them in real life, I don't mind them. Par for the course with Trek kits.

On to the kit itself: I like it! You get two sets of decals 'new' and 'weathered', which is nice. The fit of the rest of the parts outside of the saucer rim is excellent and the kit was enjoyable enough to build.

Reference for the missing panel: (Taken from reference available when the film was originally released.)

ImagePanel by xenounknown, on Flickr

Pics of my build up of the kit. I weathered the bare plasitc and did a dull coat over that to seal in the decals and whatnot.

In-progress.
Image046 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Image045 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Bussard collector:
Image043 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Image041 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Image036 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Completed:

Image003 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Image001 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Image004 by xenounknown, on Flickr

The deflector still needs a little bit of work, but here it is just the same.

Image006 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Image007 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Image011 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Image012 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Image013 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Image014 by xenounknown, on Flickr

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Shark vs. Moebius 1/1000 scale U.S.S. Kelvin

Post by Griffworks » Sun May 12, 2019 12:24 am

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.
β€œAnd I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.β€œ

My Flickr Albums

Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Shark vs. Moebius 1/1000 scale U.S.S. Kelvin

Post by Shark » Tue May 14, 2019 7:23 pm

Thank you and you're quite welcome.

Return to β€œ1/1000”