1/1400 scale Negh'var build journal (DONE!)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

1/1400 scale Negh'var build journal (DONE!)

Post by novahobbies » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:17 pm

Getting the K'vort done and wrapped up only gave me the urge to keep going with another Klingon ship, so I decided to pull out an old beast that deserves to see the light of day -- my old giant 1/1400 scale hollow cast IKS Negh'var. This is another one that I've had mostly assembled and sitting in a primer state, but honestly that was mostly because....I could never find a green that really felt like a good match. Even now while I am building it, I had some major missteps. So here's the ship a few weeks ago:

While this was nice, I felt like it was too close to the lighter panel look, and not deep enough for the lower bae coat. Then I decided to try a spray of Green Zinc Chromate, but the new spray bomb I tried out (to make things 'easier,' hah!) turned out to be NOTHING like what it was supposed to be!

That was puke yellow. No other word for it. It had to go. I sanded lightly and picked one more time.....

Better! But, not quite still. This was actually a darn near perfect match for the DARKER panels....I was zeroing in! But while I had it in this color, I decided to repair some of the missing detail and windows that failed in this casting. Pulled out some strip styrene, and here we go...

And once the detail was added back, I decided to try ONE MORE TIME for a base coat. This time I picked a mix. About 60% MM Pale Green Acryl, and 40% MM Green Zinc Chromate (the GOOD kind), and airbrushed it.

That.......THAT'S IT! I am a happy modeler, now. That's as I left her last night, I'm going to let that coat cure really well for a couple days before I go back with some panel detail. Tonight and tomorrow I will work on building a better mounting system for the kit.

As always, you can see a few more pics on the album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskQFpXK4
Last edited by novahobbies on Tue May 28, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: !/1400 scale Negh'var build journal

Post by ProfArturo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:32 pm

You must have a lot of patience to do several coats from scratch, with all that sanding.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: !/1400 scale Negh'var build journal

Post by novahobbies » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:54 pm

well, to be honest I didn't take the paint off all the way. Just light sanding so I didn't destroy detail, but give the next layer some bite. :D

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/1400 scale Negh'var build journal

Post by novahobbies » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:29 pm

OK, we're not quite on track, but we're still moving forward. I got my mounting point sorted by using two lenghts of brass tube - one as a sleeve, and the next size down to slide in it. I drilled a hole in the hollow model (taking a chunk out in the process, because thin resin walls don't like drill bits) and measured and marked the depth for the sleeve. Cut that to size, with just a tiny bit sticking out, and then epoxied the "bottom" of the sleeve heavily where it will make contact with the inner top side of the model. The part of the sleeve that will be visible was epoxied and then puttied in place, and the whole area will next be covered with a thin sheet of styrene to look clean and unblemished later.

But more importantly......I did my test for the lighter panels, and I'm fairly happy with the color combination!

This is a spray can, unfortunately. I decanted some spray and then hand brushed these panels, but the bulk will be masked and sprayed. I expect I have a LOT of masking in my future.....that's going to be this week's project. If I'm very lucky, I'll have the lighter panels sprayed by the end of this weekend. Fingers crossed!!

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Been moving along. Masking panels and having fun. There's a few pinholes in the model that are obvious, I'll be going back to fill these when the major painting is done before the weathering.

I use Yellow frogtape for close in to the detail, and blue tape as blocking material since it's cheaper. The yellow is better at lifting off without ripping paint IMO.

Closing in on the top of the hull... the head panels are blocked in, and the dark green is going down in patches:

And the bottom gets a few coats:

That's where I left off last night. It's slow work but satisfying.

Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Max Nex » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:50 am

it's looking good !
I bet it will be a stunner when finished. :thumbsup:

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:40 pm

Thanks, I hope so!!

Some weekend progress. The detail on the bottom middle of the hull is a little involved, so I took the lazy man's way out and printed the outline of original vinyl pattern out onto transparency sheet and cut the pattern out with a sharp x-acto. The result may not be as sharp as tape, but looks pretty good nonetheless:

Also got the second layer on the lower wing panels.....

....as well as a few red panels painted in. Also, for fun, here are the two Federation Models B'rel class BOPs in the same scale under the wings. Would be fun as a "carrier" variant if those giant guns weren't going to be in the way:

And finally, some more on the top.

So basically, the order of the day is, "Panels, Panels, Everywhere." All I'm doing is masking and painting, haven't even gotten to the smaller details yet, but I know it'll be worth it in the end. At least, I hope so!

Halgebra_A6N
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Halgebra_A6N » Wed May 01, 2019 2:31 pm

Do you need a special printer to print onto transparency sheets?

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Wed May 01, 2019 3:36 pm

Halgebra_A6N wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:31 pm
Do you mean acetate? It does not like heat so lasers are a bad idea. And you need the right ink so it does not run.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Wed May 01, 2019 6:50 pm

Tesral wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:36 pm
Halgebra_A6N wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:31 pm
Do you mean acetate? It does not like heat so lasers are a bad idea. And you need the right ink so it does not run.
For acetate, you are correct. But this is just plain transparency sheet, which you can buy for either laser or inkjet printers.

Return to “1/1400”