WIP Apollo Class

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
Jason902
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

WIP Apollo Class

Post by Jason902 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:23 pm

Hi everyone, just wanted to share a project I have been picking at for almost a year. Since there is no canon source this is my version of the TNG era Apollo Class. Of course I like to torture myself so I am going to make it light able. I have seen a few takes on this Ambassador variant but I think the design that best suits the timeline of its construction is with the round pod, although I also really like the dog eared version but it seems like a later production war variant to me. Still lots of filling and sanding to do on the lower secondary hull. The open area under the secondary hull is shuttle bay since I removed the shuttle bay from the top to place the impulse engine. I also shortened the secondary hull by a few cm. I haven't decided on detailing yet for the pod support nor have I started the pod itself. Any thoughts or criticism is welcome.
apollo1.JPG
Apollo Class1
apollo2.JPG
Apollo Class2
apollo3.JPG
Apollo Class3

Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Re: WIP Apollo Class

Post by Kratok » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:02 am

I like where you are heading.

I am partial to the dog-eared variant myself. Truthfully, though, the dual supports (and unnecessary additional mass) of the dog-eared version really don't make much sense. I think I like it primarily BECAUSE it is different. But I agree with your comments about a round pod for a early Apollo.

The Excelsior class, which of course preceded the Ambassador/variants, had a bay (shuttle? Cargo?) in the same location of your shuttlebay on this build. That seems a logical design continuity - good call.

What are your plans for the primary hull? Are you going to build any additional superstructure at the rear of the saucer?

At this stage, she looks a bit like the MMI Orion AWACS variant . You could look to that kit for some inspiration if you agree. It isnt round, but I love the pod on that one, and maybe it will help you flesh out the details for your interpretation.

ALways happy to see creative work, especially in the 1400 folder. Thanks for sharing, please keep us all posted.

Jason902
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Jason902 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi Kratok

>What are your plans for the primary hull? Are you going to build any additional superstructure at the rear of the saucer?

I haven't planned that far ahead yet for the upper saucer, because I shortened the secondary hull and shoved it further into the saucer I had to remove some escape pods from the lower saucer, along with the double set of nav lights. I do want to do something on the upper saucer but I am not sure yet. If I move the saucer shuttle bay back further it might not be very accessible due to the pod. I will take a photo with the saucer attached in the next couple days.

>At this stage, she looks a bit like the MMI Orion AWACS variant . You could look to that kit for some inspiration if you agree. It isnt round, but I love the pod on that one, and maybe it will help you flesh out the details for your interpretation.

I think it was either the MMI kits or some random Apollo image of someone else's (can't seem to find the image anymore) WIP ship that started me thinking about a the TNG Apollo. The only thing I didn't like about the MMI kits was the secondary hull protruded back further then the nacelles, I didn't care much for that look so I shortened mine. Luckily for me I had a spare Ent C model to bash.

>Always happy to see creative work, especially in the 1400 folder. Thanks for sharing, please keep us all posted.

Thanks, I'm a 1/1400 collector myself, it is the best scale for detail and size in my opinion. I just wish there were more plastic kits available in the scale, but thankfully there is a healthy resin aftermarket ;)

Jason902
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Jason902 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:25 am

I primed the secondary hull with a dark grey earlier today to help show which areas still need putty work and to help block light since I plan to install LEDs at some point. From this shot though you can see what I mean about the saucer shuttle bay if I modify the area behind it, with the yet to be constructed pod on it would be hard to access the bay. I think I am going to carefully remove the two short phaser strips on the saucer and put them on the secondary hull on both sides of the impulse drive. Since the pod support is angled forward the pod will not block them, and it will give the ship a better rear phaser arc.
apollo4.JPG

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:45 pm

That is why I reversed the shuttlebay on my Nebula build.
nebula15.jpg
nebula15.jpg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Jason902
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Jason902 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Thanks Tesral, another option worth considering, but first I think I might start to tackle planning the pod tonight. I primed the secondary haul with a light grey today over the dark grey, down to just one spot that I have to putty and sand again. :)

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:08 pm

looks good!!

Jason902
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Jason902 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:24 am

Not much done, just some sanding, priming, sanding, priming etc. I had to brake the cycle and put some paint on it ;)
apollopaint.JPG

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:08 pm

comin' along nicely though! I like your color choices. Good to see an Apollo variant being built! I've got the Ambassador parts in the stash to make one...some day....when I'm old and gray(er)

Jason902
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Jason902 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:00 pm

novahobbies wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:08 pm
comin' along nicely though! I like your color choices. Good to see an Apollo variant being built! I've got the Ambassador parts in the stash to make one...some day....when I'm old and gray(er)
Thanks Nova, I wish I had LEDs so I could close up the nacelles. I did buy DLM Warp grills and Buzzards to replace the kit ones, they are excellent. I wrote down the colours from someone else's build I saw online years ago for when I decided to repaint my Ambassador (which I am also working on). They are all Humbrol which I have to brush on. I don't own an airbrush :( (Base colour 147, medium hull grey 127, and 128 for the dark hull grey)

I Added some detail to the drive section, the short phasers were removed from the top of the saucer and relocated, the escape pods came with the kit, and I cut styrene for the transporter emitters.
ApolloDetail.JPG
I don't think I am going to modify the saucer top much, as mentioned above I removed the two short phasers and replaced them with transporter emitters. I also sanded the bumps of the rim to make it smooth like the Ambassador filming model, I still have to scribe panel lines on the rim and drill out the windows.
ApolloSaucer.JPG

Return to “1/1400”