Rescaling the Kelvin Timeline - Again

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
generalrose
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Rescaling the Kelvin Timeline - Again

Post by generalrose »

My thoughts on rescaling the Kelvin timeline came about from the idea of printing a copy of the Beyond Refit that would look nice next to the official TOS and TMP 1/1000 scale enterprise kits. Considering how much of the 2009 Enterprise was based off of the TMP model, I decided to base my scaling off of that ship.

With a mesh of the TMP Refit scaled to a length of 305mm (1/1000) the saucer's diameter measured 141mm.

With a mesh of the 2009 Enterprise scaled so the saucer had a diameter of 141mm, it's length was 305.4mm. Practically identical in size to the traditional movie era ship.This exact matchup (along with cues from the film itself) leads me to believe that this was the original scale the ship was intended to be.

With that scale in mind we can easily rescale the rest of the Kelvin Fleet into something that fits much nicer with the Prime Timeline.

TL:DR: the 2009 Enterprise is 0.4m longer than the TMP Refit.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Rescaling the Kelvin Timeline - Again

Post by patrickivan »

I can't see the image from my work PC right now.

But are you including the Kelvin fleet pre-Romulan time incursion, or just post? Eg, the Kelvin? I mean, technically that's a Prime timeline ship. And I assume the similar styled ships are as well.

Not looking to dump or argue over Prime vs Kelvin, I'm just curious what your going for.
ProfArturo
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by ProfArturo »

I agree with this, there's no way a ship with the proportions and shape of the Constitution class would ever be built to the size of the Enterprise D.
generalrose

Post by generalrose »

patrickivan wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:17 pm I can't see the image from my work PC right now.

But are you including the Kelvin fleet pre-Romulan time incursion, or just post? Eg, the Kelvin? I mean, technically that's a Prime timeline ship. And I assume the similar styled ships are as well.

Not looking to dump or argue over Prime vs Kelvin, I'm just curious what your going for.
I did actually resize the Kelvin and her sister ships, but hear me out.

I actually theorize that the effects of Nero's incursion predate their cause. Captain Archer's experience with the Temporal Cold War is probably extremely different due to the now radically different timeline. This allows the 22nd and early 23rd century in the Kelvin-verse to be totally different from the Prime Timeline.

I also plan on rescaling the Discovery era in the same way. Although I might scale the DiscoPrise to the TOS Saucer
Father Cool
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Father Cool »

The discoprise has been resized in the second season I believe in any case.

It now fits the TOS ship it seems.

https://youtu.be/MBG2PI8XzhA
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

Father Cool wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:52 pm The discoprise has been resized in the second season I believe in any case.

It now fits the TOS ship it seems.

https://youtu.be/MBG2PI8XzhA
Father Cool, forgive me, for I have sinned. I have sworn several times while watching Star Trek Discovery.

My faith has been shaken during season 1.

Oh how I want to believe! I'll try to continue to attend my weekly Star Trek viewings, but it is trying. It is so trying at times.

Seriously though. I'm not sure how much stock to take in that display information of the new Enterprise. There were clearly graphics that were created before the final design of the E was put into production by the CGI team. So there could be a disagreement. The information could have been a placeholder, because nothing was decided on, and graphics needed to make SOMETHING for that display... Regardless, I think I expect too much from a modern production company. I expect more thought put into things like this, because they KNOW it's going to be analysed to death.

Could be worse. Could be Star Wars. Those poor bastards get everything ripped apart down to the screw...
Father Cool
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Father Cool »

Yes I totally agree.

Having seen the first episode of season 2, it actually looks more promising moving forward. Its not star trek of old but hey.

The display was in the episode which tends to point to a set gaff rather than intent. The enterprise is still the one from the end on season 1. It is going back to earth for a major repair but the display would have shown it as it is now rather than later so I think the display is just set decoration.

Oh well. My head canon still says its 285m as per the TOS ship because it 'has' to be. Nothing on screen can negate that at the moment.
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD »

Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin »

The only thing I would say is the Kelvin and possibly others built prior to the JJPrise were bigger (at least the primary hull is) the reason I say this is in this scene of the destruction of the Auxiliary fleet at Vulcan the wreckage that nearly hits them looks to my eyes to be of greater diameter then the Enterprise
big ship.jpg
big ship.jpg (62.48 KiB) Viewed 647 times

I see it as comparing an Iowa class battleship with an Arleigh Burke class destroyer

Return to “General Trek”