Saratoga, NCC-31911 Conversion in 1/1000 Scale

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Saratoga, NCC-31911 Conversion in 1/1000 Scale

Post by Griffworks »

This is a test shot of a potential after market conversion kit in 1/1000 scale to make the USS Saratoga, NCC-31911, a Miranda-class variant. I originally received the conversion parts just after Christmas of 2017 and built it up over the course of about four weeks, into the last week of January, 2018. It uses the Round 2 Reliant kit as the base and is a pretty simple, straight forward kit.

ImageImage
It comes with 8 resin parts and three sheets of decals that allow you to make the original Saratoga we see in the pilot episode (titled "Emissary") of "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" - Sisko's ship that gets Blowed Up Real Good! - or a later replacement version, per some of the novels, that has a designator of "-A" (i.e. "NCC-31911-A').

One thing not included that will likely be provided with the conversion kit, should it go to full production, is sheet stock for the top of the extended hull that's parallel with the sensor mounts. It should likely only be no thicker than .040" to work to cover the area where the rollbar assembly normally mounts to the upper hull. Or the builder could provide them, tho I think that the manufacturer will add those, IIRC.

ImageImage
Anyhow, it's a pretty simple and straight forward build. There were no particular hurdles to overcome, other than my own rush to try and finish it. If this goes into production and I get a chance to purchase a second, I'll definitely do it differently. The main issue I should have foreseen, and didn't, was to NOT fully assemble the sensor pods. I broke both of the "antenna" off at different times, with the last time I broke the starboard (right) antenna being the last - it flew away and I never did find it.

As you can see from the pics, I added some of the ParaGrafix Modeling System (PGMS) photoetch bits for their 1/1000 Reliant set. Namely, the aft bridge docking port piece, the VIP/Officers lounge windows, vents for the impulse engines, and the port docking hatch. Should I do this over - I might just strip this and make a basic mold for the antenna that I need for the starboard sensor pod - I think I'll add a lower saucer mounted navigational deflector, as I've been doing for most all of my StarFleet ships from this timeframe.

Again, initial construction was pretty straight forward. I had to remove the upper portion of the photorp pod/rollbar assembly. I did this by fully assembling the main hull and the pylon/rollbar assembly parts, then carefully excising the rollbar assembly along the top of the extended hull via sharp Xacto blade, initially score the plastic, then slowly cutting a bit deeper with each pass.

Next was lining up the point of contact for the outboard portion of the sensor pod mounts. It's pretty simple itself, as the inboard portion of each mount is shaped almost perfectly to fit with the warp nacelle pylons. This is where I should have stopped initial construction, BTW.

After that, I added the aforementioned PGMS PE bits, very lazily attempted to putty and blend the parts, then primered the sub assemblies.

Subassemblies complete and primered.

More to follow....
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Saratoga, NCC-31911 Conversion in 1/1000 Scale

Post by Griffworks »

After a full 24 hours for the primer to cure, I started shooting coats of my preferred color for Movie Era ships - Tamiya rattlecan TS-27 Matte White.

ImageImageIt took roughly four shots of cover to get it laid down nicely.

Image ImageAfter the base coat had about 36hrs cure time, I started doing some detail painting.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Nice looking buildup. So those are sensor pods not megaphasers?
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Shark »

Nice build-up! Too bad about the antennae, I hate it when that happens.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Shark wrote:Nice build-up! Too bad about the antennae, I hate it when that happens.
Yeah... My own fault, tho! Stupid mistake and I know better than that! I just got all excited about trying to finish the build.
trekriffic wrote:Nice looking buildup. So those are sensor pods not megaphasers?
To my knowledge, yes. It was fans that designated them as MEGA!phasers - or in a couple of cases, some sort of photorp pods. I believe it was Mike Okuda who has identified them as sensor pods, tho. I like that idea better, regadless. My own dislike on the design is lack of photorps.

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

OK, so I finally got around to loading up all the pics today. Instead of showing a bunch of in-progress pics that lead up to where I'm currently at in the build, I'll just cut to the chase and show where she is now.

ImageNext to the Sentinel-class light cruiser kit from UGH! Models.

ImageThis was taken not long after I broke the tip of the antenna off the port sensor pod. :(

ImageOn top of the entertainment center with other ships. This was while I was moving my office from upstairs to downstairs.

Obligatory link to the Saratoga photo album on Flickr.

The thing holding me up at present is the need for that port antenna for that sensor pod. I think I'll pop the starboard antenna off and attempt making a mold so I can finally finish this one. I'll definitely NOT add the antennae back until AFTER I'm done with everything else - painting and decaling, especially!

My Flickr Albums
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Have you thought about making a new antenna using brass rod and tubing? Shouldn't be that difficult. I replaced the wing mounted gun barrels on my Klingon Bird-of-Prey using brass tubing- made them virtually unbreakable plus the hollow tubing allowed me to run fiber-optics thru to the tips of the barrrels.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

I have, tho I like the idea of trying to keep these as close to "canon" as I can. I'd also have to build a pair of them so that they'd match up and not look like an odd match. I'm still thinking I might try for a simple two-part mold, tho.

Thanks for the suggestion, tho! I appreciate it. :)

My Flickr Albums
SKO
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by SKO »

This looks awesome
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Thank ya kindly, sir!

Coming back to this one, I went ahead and popped off the antennae off of both of the sensor mounts, and went ahead and popped the sensor mount off of the starboard side. I'm going to see ifa friend of mine - Bob/Aptivaboy - would be willing to design a 3D part for printing, as well as consider making a mold, tho I only need ONE antenna to finish this thing. I'll also look at fabricating another antenna - or maybe two if it turns out looking good and seems easy enough to scratchbuild. I'm also going to see if I can find my BSG parts that I picked up off Shapeways, as I know I've got some antenna in there from a WarHammer 40K ship detailing set.

In the meantime, I'll add Saratoga to the assembly line and finish her detail painting.
Saratoga0035.JPG
Saratoga0036.JPG
She looks kinda naked w/o the pod and antennas in place. :(
Saratoga0037.JPG
It's not the size the matters... Or is it?

Eventually, more to come!

My Flickr Albums

Return to “1/1000”