Dingbat wrote:Thats a great idea on the sauser locator pins/sockets! I just dremmeled all but the rear sockets out and shaved down the pins. Hopfully this doesnt come back to bite me when ot comes time to glue them together!
Hey, Ding, Thanks! Yeah me too. I took out some puns on my Protector and it made for a precarious fitting. Hope for the best!
While I was at IPMS San Antonio, I had the priviledge of meeting Ralph from TenaControls. He is very friendly and professional in his manner.
Because he was a the show, he was offering discounts for his items and I didn't have to pay S&H, either.So I picked up a "typical" Federation flasher unit
for the C. I thought I was gonna use it on the 1/350 TOS E, but I already bought the light kit for it, so I decided to use it on the C.
BTW, I also picked up the TenaControls kit for the JJPrise. I'm so excited!!
I still have to make my own internal lighting for the engines and the hull, but the flasher unit is no longer a hold up; or at least so I thought until
I opened it up! It's the parts and pieces and I have to solder it together. OKay, breathe!
I figured it out on the breadboard and took a still of it. I am not sure how to post videos here but I have a video, too to show you the lights in action.
I happened to catch the strobes mid-flash so it looks like the are steady-on, but none of them are. It's gonna be a mind bender to figure out how to wire
this together when the lights may be so far apart on the model.
I have the nacelle inserts from DLM and, while they are awesome, they kind limit my options for lighting and routing the wires. I reduced the front of the insert
to allow room for the red LEDs for the Bussard Collectors. The lower one is reduced and the upper is as shipped. The anterior of the insert does provide some lighting
to create the illusion of depth of the interior of the nacelle.
So I'm thinking of putting up a partition with reflective tape toward the insert and light with light-blocking
toward the bussard collector (BC).
I was thinking about making a light diffusser for the BC, but the DLM part already does a great job of that. So, the part I was going to use as a diffuser is probably now going
to be an LED holder instead; I'll just have to move the partitian back a little and modify the LED lenses to spread the light a bit.
I also modified the Nacelles to accept the wires for the lights. Interesting side note: the nacelles are keyed to make sure they are assembled correctly and so they seat level. I'm impressed!
So I had to be careful where I was drilling in order to preserve the keys.
I then modified the nacelle supports to accept the 30AWG magnet wire from the secondary hull to the nacelles. I did a dry fit to see if the wires would come through; they did.
This shot is looking into the secondary hull from the deflector dish. As you can see, I modded the supports to accept wires to the nacelles. The issue is, I would like to put a strobe, via FO in the rear
near the Shuttlebay. This could be easy (in my dreams) or difficult (more likely) to put together. It could be like my Protector; I have to put it in oned side and then glue the other to it.
Once I get the strobes and the steady-on lighting figured, I can reapply light blocking, close the clamshell, and start painting.
Thanks for comments and suggestions!
Steady as she goes!