Clear resin casting recommendation

Scratchbuilding, kitbashing, reposing and other modifications.
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Clear resin casting recommendation

Post by MadManMUC »

So, I'm thinking of ordering an Oomoo 30 kit because there are some clear parts I'd like to cast myself.

Having never done this before, I'm not at all sure which clear resin I should use with the silicone rubber moulds.

The Smooth-On Smooth Cast 61D is listed as being 'transluscent white', but I really don't know how transluscent they mean, in terms of allowing light through.

On the other hand, their Crystal Clear series is listed as being for industrial applications only, and I really don't know if I could use it with the Oomoo mould.

Any recos for something caveman-simple to use? :mrgreen:
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Clear resin casting recommendation

Post by Tesral »

I believe the issue with the clear resin is one of off gassing, Further research is required.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

for clear casts:

Warm the mold
Warm the resin - it will pour better, and bubbles will move out better
Use mold release
Vacuum chamber - to remove air bubbles
Pressure-pot - to make any bubbles that form tiny

expect first few cast to be junk, use them to learn what not to do on the next one
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Tesral wrote:I believe the issue with the clear resin is one of off gassing, Further research is required.
yes, they can smell worse than standard resins, they also take longer to cure - best to leave them for a solid 24 hours before removing from molds
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

Thanks, lads.

I was after more of a clear resin brand recommendation to use with the Oomoo 30 moulds, though ... ;)

MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

MadManMUC wrote:Thanks, lads.

I was after more of a clear resin brand recommendation to use with the Oomoo 30 moulds, though ... ;)
I haven't used that brand before, but if you have a small item done up - do a test with a small batch of the clear
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok »

I've been tempted to try this myself, and held off for exactly the same reasons you have. The warnings about the SmoothOn clear resins gave me second thoughts.

I've never got around to doing it, but was moving in the direction of trying some of the clear acrylic resins that they sell for encapsulating items in desktop paperweights. They are water thin, pour easily, and dry crystal clear and HARD (a lot of "clear" parts in kits that I have received remained a little gummy). They do not carry the industrial warnings like the SmoothOn clears. They are readily available (or at least used to be) at craft stores, and are comparatively cheap. I would bet they are compatible with Oomoo silicones. I dont know how they might react with tints, but you could easily post tint them with a quick airbrushing with one of the Tamiya transparent colors.

Again, I have never gotten around to actually doing this, and it is not exactly what you asked for, but it might provide an option that you could play with. If you do so, let us know how it works out?
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

I got the idea of using Oomoo from a couple of YouTube vids by Kenny Conklin at SciFiantasy, where he was using it to cast a solid (not clear) part for the Vor'Cha-class cruiser. He made it look actually pretty simple, so I thought it would be a good starting point for clear parts. But, like I said, SmoothOn's chemical badness for their clear resin is a bit of a turn-off for me.

Think I'll hit one of the big local craft shops here in Munich over the weekend to see what solutions they offer, and I'll report back.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Kratok wrote:I've never got around to doing it, but was moving in the direction of trying some of the clear acrylic resins that they sell for encapsulating items in desktop paperweights.
It is an acrylic resin not an urethane resin. That would be my only concern. Post casting handling.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Kratok

Post by Kratok »

Agreed.

Like I said, I’ve never actually gotten around to trying this, so can’t guarantee it would work. But it would be a low cost, low toxicity option. Might be worth playing around with it and finding out.

Good luck!

Return to “Customizing”