Painting “Trompe L’oeil” scheme

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Painting “Trompe L’oeil” scheme

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Good Day, fellow modelers!

I am thinking of making a 1/650 scale production model of the Enterprise. I would try and follow the recent Smithsonian restore for correct appearance. I have many of the aftermarket parts from JTGraphics so that shouldn’t be an issue. One thing, for now, is bugging me.

Apparently, the original model makers, Datin and others, did not make a trench in the starboard nacelle, but only painted it to look like there was one. This saved a lot of money and it was never shown on the show.
Here is a shot of the model showing the lack of a trench on the STBD nacelle.

Here is another shot of the model prior to the last restore by the Smithsonian as shown on Trekcore.com

So, in thinking of making a model of the production model, how would you go about doing this particular detail of the model?

Do any of you have any experience with painting what Gary Kerr calls “Trompe L’oeil” paint scheme? Google defines this as “visual illusion in art, especially as used to trick the eye into perceiving a painted detail as a three-dimensional object.”

These photos were taken by A. Sanchez-Arango at the Grand Reveal of the ship! I asked him if I could use his photos as reference and he kindly agreed. They have been watermarked by him just in case. He posted them on an active thread on Hobbytalk.com.
Asalaw Forward SRBD nacelle

Asalaw Middle SRBD nacelle

I have some ideas of how, which involve a lot of precision masking, but I would really love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

FYI, I am saving my more accurate 1/350 TOS E for a fantasized version of the ship. I also know that this is only one customization/modification that would have to be done in order to make the AMT/Round2 1/650 more accurate.

Let me know what you think!

LLAP!

Steve
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Painting “Trompe L’oeil” scheme

Post by Tesral »

What are you modeling? The ship or the shooting model? If the former, keep the trench. If the latter, have fun.

There is nothing exotic about trompe l’oeil. The techniques are well understood. For a model the size you are making a lot of precision masking is right. After you fill in the trench, or sacrifice a port nacelle for the untrenched side.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Tesral wrote:What are you modeling? The ship or the shooting model? If the former, keep the trench. If the latter, have fun.

There is nothing exotic about trompe l’oeil. The techniques are well understood. For a model the size you are making a lot of precision masking is right. After you fill in the trench, or sacrifice a port nacelle for the untrenched side.
Tesral, I was thinking of modeling the shooting model; complete with "blank" or unshot side and separate control panel (at least in my head). With some pretty clear shots of the STBD nacelle, there are some great examples to follow.

Do you have any recommendations for where to read-up on or watch someone perform the technique?

Thanks for the response!

Steve
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

I have a degree in art which, with 10 bucks, can get you a nice cup of coffee at Starbucks, but, if it were me, I'd start by measuring the overall width of the trench on the port nacelle. Then measure the width of the bottom of the trench. Subtract the two and divide by 2 to give you the width of each of the lighter and darker bands that will mimic the slanted sides of the trench. The length of your faux trench will be the same as the port trench of course. Now you can cut your masks. After that it's a question of following the painting guide above and applying smooth, even coats. Work from light to dark. You may want to lightly sand between paint applications and make sure to eliminate any paint ridges along the mask lines. You want it as smooth and clean as possible to fool the eye of the observer.
Last edited by trekriffic on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:
Do you have any recommendations for where to read-up on or watch someone perform the technique?

Thanks for the response!

Steve
Like I said, not exotic. You just follow the shading on the examples you have. The biggest issue is the masking.

If I were me: I would paint lightest to darkest. Mask the lower shaded area, the light one. Paint that. Paint the main area of the trench including the darker upper area. Mask off the upper area, paint that. As trekriffic added knock down any mask lines. Mask and paint the grill. Add the reactor and intercoolers.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “General Trek”