Sealing and Finishing (dullcote, glosscote, etc)

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
michelalano
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Sealing and Finishing (dullcote, glosscote, etc)

Post by michelalano »

I'm looking for a list of operations for finishing models. I'd like my models to have as much longevity as possible in preserving decals, paint, anti yellowing, etc. I understand that common practice is a coat of gloss (for ease of decal application) and then a finish of dullcote. But are there any steps in between? I've noticed that on some of my past models, decals can flake off even after the dullcote. This leads me to believe that dullcote is not a "sealer" but merely a texture. I'd also worry that too many coats of clear could have the models come out gummy or lose crispness of scale, especially in 2500.

So in short, after applying decals, what method is best to "seal" and truly finish a model for maximum preservation?

I did a light search in the forum and didn't really find anything so forgive me if this has been covered. Feel free to point me to an existing thread if there is one.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Sealing and Finishing (dullcote, glosscote, etc)

Post by trekriffic »

What has worked for me:

After applying your finished colors wait a few days for the paint to fully cure then seal with a gloss coat. Then apply your decals. Then seal with another coat of the same gloss coat. This will seal your decals. Then spray with a clear matte/dull coat. One coat will give you a semi-gloss finish, more coats will give you a flatter finish.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

trekriffic wrote:What has worked for me:

After applying your finished colors wait a few days for the paint to fully cure then seal with a gloss coat. Then apply your decals. Then seal with another coat of the same gloss coat. This will seal your decals. Then spray with a clear matte/dull coat. One coat will give you a semi-gloss finish, more coats will give you a flatter finish.
Pretty much the same to me- but I also occasionally add in a coat of brush applied clear coat paint on top of the decal once it's where I want it - and if I'm going to be doing something other than decaling for awhile. The clear coat paint helps insure that it prevents it from peeling up.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Moongrim wrote:
trekriffic wrote:What has worked for me:

Pretty much the same to me- but I also occasionally add in a coat of brush applied clear coat paint on top of the decal once it's where I want it - and if I'm going to be doing something other than decaling for awhile. The clear coat paint helps insure that it prevents it from peeling up.
Good idea. And sometimes if the decal has been torn a little while positioning it I will brush it with some liquid decal film before sealing with a clearcoat.

michelalano

Post by michelalano »

Thanks, great info from both of you. Is there a difference between "clear coat paint" and "glosscote"? Also I am getting some microscale decal film that I read in another thread to be painted directly onto the decal sheet to prevent cracking when applying.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

michelalano wrote:Thanks, great info from both of you. Is there a difference between "clear coat paint" and "glosscote"? Also I am getting some microscale decal film that I read in another thread to be painted directly onto the decal sheet to prevent cracking when applying.
Glosscote is Testors brand name for their clear lacquer gloss coat. Dullcote is the brand name for their clear lacquer flat coat. So clear coat is a generic term for either glossy or flat clear coats in either acrylic, enamel, lacquer, or acrylic/lacquer or whatever formulation they dream up next.

trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

trekriffic wrote:
michelalano wrote:Thanks, great info from both of you. Is there a difference between "clear coat paint" and "glosscote"? Also I am getting some microscale decal film that I read in another thread to be painted directly onto the decal sheet to prevent cracking when applying.
Glosscote is Testors brand name for their clear lacquer gloss coat. Dullcote is the brand name for their clear lacquer flat coat. So "clear coat" is a non-branded, generic term for either glossy or flat clear coats in either acrylic, enamel, lacquer, or acrylic/lacquer (or whatever formulation they dream up next).

michelalano

Post by michelalano »

It's funny, I googled model kit "yellowing" and this post came up. Rather than start something new, I figured I'd reply here.

I've taken a break from modeling due to life stuff but I brought out a box of half-finished stuff last night and noticed at least one of my ships (2500 scale Enterprise E) was starting to yellow. I was halfway through decaling and had coated the whole model with the Pledge equivalent to future, as I've read in many places. The model was kept in a clear plastic container in the closet away from light and extreme temperatures. It looks as if the glossy coat itself is yellowing after only a year maybe 2.

Just wondering if anyone has any input on what went wrong and what I can do to correct/prevent this in the future. I'm guessing it has to do with the model never being finished and properly sealed, but I didn't know the pledge product might do that.

Thanks in advance.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

My USS Kongo is yellowing, but it is even, so I'm blaming Testor's dullcoat which is known to do that. I used Future, but not on the whole model, just over decals. I would say Future is safe as the beast has been on a shelf for years.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “Finishing”