AMT/ERTL USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D 1:1400 - Restoration - COMPLETE

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: AMT/ERTL USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D 1:1400 - Restoration

Post by DefiantClient »

Tesral wrote: Be careful it kills filler. I whole heatedly recommend this for stripping paint. HOWEVER, it does attack filler. Plastic, resin, metal are all fine. But bondo or, Squadron putty are not.
Pretty much any adhesive that doesn't bond the parts together (Super glue) will be wrecked too by Simple Green. Expect to reassemble your resin models.
IndianaCook
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by IndianaCook »

Good evening all!
How have your weekends been so far? Good I hope :)

Just stopping by to give you an update on my progress. It's been a very productive weekend considering I was at a christening all day yesterday :D

Ok first up I went back and painted in a little bit of detail...

Painted in some detail I'd lost when I used filler Image

Then I picked up some supplies...

... ready for Azteking :)

Here I go!

So far so good...

My Microsol turned up yesterday! :) I applied a coat to the decals on the underside of the ship.

I still have to apply decals to the top of the dish but I will do that once the Microsol has dried.

It hasn't been completely error free; a few bits ripped on me, and it was really awkward applying decals to the engines for some reason. But it has gone smoother than I expected :)

I do have a quick question if any of you can help, do the azteking decals need to be sealed before applying the detailing decals (registry number etc) ? Because I will be using Microset and Microsol and I don't want it messing with the Azteking!

Anywhoo thats it for now. Hopefully the detailing decals will turn up this week and i can start on them.

Thanks for looking guys :)
Last edited by IndianaCook on Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Live Long, and Prosper :vulcan:
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

You did a great job with those decals!
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

To seal before or after applying detail decals? That is the question...

So long as you can keep the ship in humid conditions, the decals SHOULD stay adhered to the surface....

However, the last time I was applying aztecking decals I was having some of them start to un-adhere before I got a chance to apply the details.... But this was also during the approach to Summer in the Willamette Valley- Dry conditions.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

DefiantClient wrote:
Tesral wrote: Be careful it kills filler. I whole heatedly recommend this for stripping paint. HOWEVER, it does attack filler. Plastic, resin, metal are all fine. But bondo or, Squadron putty are not.
Pretty much any adhesive that doesn't bond the parts together (Super glue) will be wrecked too by Simple Green. Expect to reassemble your resin models.
Curious, the Constellation sat for weeks in full strength Simple Green and stayed in one piece. I might depend on your CA.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
IndianaCook
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by IndianaCook »

Morning guys,
Another quick update!
Last night I began the final section of Azteking decals, on top of the saucer. Here's the bridge...

We're halfway there...

Living on a prayer :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist that :D

I applied another coat of Microsol to the entire Azteking again, and I will probably do one more tonight when she's dry.
After that I will apply what I have left of the gloss coat to seal in the Azteking and in preparation for the detailing decals. Once they're on I will give her a clear matt coat finish. I really don't like the glossy look.

There are definitely imperfections, where the decal had rolled over on itself for example and I creased it trying to put it back, and some areas which are torn and don't quite go back together, but overall I'm happy with how she's looking now :)

Thanks for looking guys
Last edited by IndianaCook on Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

Lookin' good! :)
SKO
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by SKO »

My E-D was the first 1/1400 I ever built and now that I've gotten a bit more skilled I look at her and think she just looks so bland and boring and I'm tempted to do a complete makeover. You might have pushed me over the edge with this beauty
IndianaCook
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by IndianaCook »

Thanks guys :) I feel I'm in the home stretch now. Just waiting for a couple more things to turn up to really finish her off! I've really enjoyed the time I've spent on her so far.

I know what you mean, I've had my Ent D so long, in fact I believe she was the first one I put together. She definitely deserves a bit of TLC and scrubs up quite well!

I look forward to seeing the new paint job you give yours

Thanks for looking. We're almost there :)
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

Moongrim wrote:To seal before or after applying detail decals? That is the question...

So long as you can keep the ship in humid conditions, the decals SHOULD stay adhered to the surface....

However, the last time I was applying aztecking decals I was having some of them start to un-adhere before I got a chance to apply the details.... But this was also during the approach to Summer in the Willamette Valley- Dry conditions.
I live in a fairly humid place, and my decals rarely stick well. Maybe it's my technique. But what I have noticed is that they stick better on a recent coat of Future (aka, Pledge floor care). Then, after applying, I carefully apply another coat of Future to seal them in. After that, weathering doesn't hurt the decals. Sure, that many coats of Future makes the model really shiny, but a light finish with a clear matte coat fixes that.

I'm nowhere near as good a builder as most of you folks, but I swear by Future before and after the decals.

Return to “General Trek”