Two questions about lighting models

LEDs, fiber optics, etc - everything needed to "Make it Glow"
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Two questions about lighting models

Post by Julien »

NCC1966 wrote:As far as I know arduino depends on a program to work. Or am I wrong? If so, your ship lighting would have to be attached to a computer via USB. Doesn't sound as a good deal. Also it's expensive for such a simple project - you need the board, the program, the controller, the motors and a specific font...

:o
No, no...

You only need your computer to write the code. Then you upload it to the board via USB and you unplug the board once the upload is done...

You don't need to leave it plugged in to the computer.

You only have to pay for the board (the program is free) and the LEDs. And you only connect to the board what you need. if you don't need motors, you don't need to buy it.

For the controllers, you can use basic switches. You simply write your code telling the board "when switch #1 is pushed on, start that sequence". When switch #2 is pushed, start that sequence.

That's the main advantage of that system, you really customize it to your need...

There is a learning curve, but once you've learned how to code it, it gives a lot more control and a lot more reliability than a circuit board with a dozen resistors, capacitors or transistors... ;)
The Belgian Builder
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Julien wrote:
NCC1966 wrote:As far as I know arduino depends on a program to work. Or am I wrong? If so, your ship lighting would have to be attached to a computer via USB. Doesn't sound as a good deal. Also it's expensive for such a simple project - you need the board, the program, the controller, the motors and a specific font...

:o
No, no...

You only need your computer to write the code. Then you upload it to the board via USB and you unplug the board once the upload is done...

You don't need to leave it plugged in to the computer.

You only have to pay for the board (the program is free) and the LEDs. And you only connect to the board what you need. if you don't need motors, you don't need to buy it.

For the controllers, you can use basic switches. You simply write your code telling the board "when switch #1 is pushed on, start that sequence". When switch #2 is pushed, start that sequence.

That's the main advantage of that system, you really customize it to your need...

There is a learning curve, but once you've learned how to code it, it gives a lot more control and a lot more reliability than a circuit board with a dozen resistors, capacitors or transistors... ;)
Hmmmm... I had no idea about this! I just see people using arduino for CNC projects so I didn't know that they could be affordable for really simple stuff!

I will revisit the idea and spend a little time checking this out! Thanks for the clarification!

:)
Last edited by NCC1966 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

OK, I was taking a look on the basics of arduino and regardless it was said that it has a "learning curve" I didn't see any curve there: the coding is extremely primitive and intuitive to whose have had the minimal contact with C programming. So you can go straight to the point! Talking specifically about spaceships lighting all you need to do is to turn LEDs on and off. C'mon...

So you will need only LEDs, resistors, an arduino board and a power source. And a small piece of code that even a dumb monkey can write. LoL!

Better of all it is cheap. A quick check in eBay revealed that you can buy a UNO R3 board for as little as $3 bucks (shipping included). Is this a bargain or is this a bargain?

Now being totally honest, it seems to be too good to be true...

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Heck, it's so cheap that I decided to give it a shot!

Just bought on eBay a small Uno R3 Arduino board, a breadboard and a handful of male-to-male wiring. Total spent: about $5. I already have a bunch of LEDs and resistors in home that I can start to play with.

This is the project I chose for guide me:
https://www.linuxpinguin.de/2013/12/ard ... interface/

Basically I will start with the project above and then just extrapolate to how many LEDs I need for my first ship lighting!

:D
Thanks,

Yan.
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Julien »

Yeah, if you are familiar with coding, then it will gives you no problem at all !

I'm surprised you found a board at 3$ though ! Those are usually at least 30 !

But anyway have fun, and don't forget to share ! ;)
The Belgian Builder
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Julien wrote:Yeah, if you are familiar with coding, then it will gives you no problem at all !

I'm surprised you found a board at 3$ though ! Those are usually at least 30 !

But anyway have fun, and don't forget to share ! ;)
Well, to be honest with you I never would put $30 on a board just to light a spaceship model! :lol:

Anyway, here it is the one I bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/141676813121?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

OK, I may not have made the correct calculation. It was £2.38 that converts to $3.40. Still not bad, uh?

8-)

And that's not the only one. There is PLENTY of them for the same price. I was about to buy another one but then I found this one that comes with the USB cable included. Just search for "Arduino Uno R3" and you will find a bunch of offers. Within the range of $30-60 you will find complete kits including servo motors, power supply, relays, etc.

:mrgreen:

PS: Of course I am dealing with the possibility of it be a Chinese crap that will never work, but for $3 I can take my chances. But considering that the guy has sold almost 1200 of those boards so far I don't believe that they are that bad.

;)

Now it will be a LONG awaiting. Normally such small parcels bought from China takes 2-3 months to arrive to Brasil, so probably it will land on my pobox when I just have forgotten about the purchase! I certainly put some feedback here. Be to share my success or to let you know about a failure.

Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Julien wrote:For the "rotating effect", a lot of people now go for the arduino and write the code for the effect, rather than building a complex circuit with a lot of components that might fail...
Thank you for putting a light (sorry for the pun) over that Julien!

Look what I JUST did: https://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3715

Thanks,

Yan.
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Julien »

Thanks for sharing !

It's indeed a great price for it, I'll probably buy the same one instead of an "official" arduino board ! :mrgreen:
The Belgian Builder
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Julien wrote:Thanks for sharing !

It's indeed a great price for it, I'll probably buy the same one instead of an "official" arduino board ! :mrgreen:
If it is of your interest I can share the scheme to spread the parts onto the board and also the code to make it work.

Yeah, there is no point of pay a LOT of money in "official" stuff if both works equally fine. In eBay you will find plenty of $3 boards with free international shipping. I am still awaiting for mine. Since I didn't want to await for months I bought a second one in the next corner online shop and paid around $10 (that's still a bargain for me!). Anyway, with prices around this neighborhood anyone can do a lighted ship nowadays. And you can even use more than one board if necessary!

8-)

I think that in no time rarely someone will still buy dedicated electronics for ship lighting. At least not at the price sites like CultTVMan charge... Over $50 + shipping for a small card and a small bunch of LEDs (bit more than 10)? Seriously?

:?
Thanks,

Yan.
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin »

Anyone know if the polarity of output of the board can be reversed for Bi-Colour LEDs or if I would have to use 2 ouputs and a couple of diodes?

Return to “Lighting”