STAR TREK Size Chart

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: STAR TREK Size Chart

Post by FLEETYARD »

marcnoonan wrote:Hi Fleetyard,
... I've scaled the windows to the same size as the NASA Space Shuttle which gave me a length of 55.16m, but wondered if you wanted to have a go too....please...
I would say yes! Do you also create it in 1/1400?
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD »

Owen E Oulton wrote:If I may be picky, the Centaur should be much smaller that you depict. the model used a Reliant bridge module, and was supposed to be scaled to it rather than a full-sized Excelsior saucer. Thus the proper length for the Centaur (not a Centaur class) is only 210 metres.
But the Centaur Class is a modified Excelsior Class!
It would be completely illogical and even unbuildable to take an Excelsior saucer and make it smaller. This would mixed up the heights of the decks! Then the windows would be at the level of the soil, etc.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Let's face it, the Centaur's a mess. It uses an Excelsior saucer, Reliant bridge and Reliant photon torpedo housing. If you scale it to the saucer, does it make sense to have such a large photon torpedo bay? And if you scale it to the bridge, does it make sense to make the saucer so tiny it is practically unusable? It's just a dumb design. Part of the reason I have no desire to build any ship from the frankenfleet. They're all reverse Centaurs to me

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD »

el gato wrote:... It uses an Excelsior saucer, Reliant bridge and Reliant photon torpedo housing. If you scale it to the saucer, does it make sense to have such a large photon torpedo bay? And if you scale it to the bridge, does it make sense to make the saucer so tiny it is practically unusable?...
That's right. At these problems, I always ask for: What is more plausible?
1. To scale down the saucer? No, because this would mixed up the heights of the decks!.
2. Scale up the Torpedo section? Yes, because it is that what we have seen on TV in the DS9 episode "A Time to Stand".
3. The bridge section: the CGI model of the Centaur class has a Excelsior bridge. If you want you can replace it with a Miranda Bridge and it would look in size. You only have to use the right one. Starcraft has managed this well. He used a 1400 Miranda bridge part for a 1400 Excelsior saucer.
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD »

Here is a update of my size chart with a accurate Jem'Hadar Warship (scan from Star Trek Starship collection) and a colored Romulan Warbird.

Last edited by FLEETYARD on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I never really thought about how the Warbird compared with the Dominion mega-humongo-large-o-matically-big warship. This is why I like your charts :)
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

That looks really nice! I think the screen evidence makes the Romulan Warbird appear much smaller than it actually is supposed to be.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD »

TrekMD wrote:...I think the screen evidence makes the Romulan Warbird appear much smaller than it actually is supposed to be.
Yes, that's true.
https://fleetyard.blogspot.de/2016/05/th ... rbird.html
I think this impression from TNG "The Neutral Zone" is the only screencap in which you can realize the size:

Last edited by FLEETYARD on Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD »

Here is my actuall Size Chart with the new romulan Shuttle build by Douglas E Graves.

Last edited by FLEETYARD on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

TrekMD wrote:That looks really nice! I think the screen evidence makes the Romulan Warbird appear much smaller than it actually is supposed to be.
Because they lied to you!

:)

"The Neutral Zone" showed the true size of the Warbird relative to the Galaxy. Some (including me) attributed the size difference to perspective, since we were never shown how far the ships were bow to bow. Later special effects fudged the size of the Warbird, resizing it so that it went from being much larger than the Galaxy class to slightly bigger than the Galaxy class

From "Timespace"

From "The Defector" (the episode also furthered the fudging of the size of the KBOP)

Return to “General Trek”