Small windows - non FO options?

LEDs, fiber optics, etc - everything needed to "Make it Glow"
asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Small windows - non FO options?

Post by asmcelhinney »

Does anyone have any tips for filling little windows?

Specifically, I'm looking at my 1/2500 Enterprise E. The windows are long and irregular sizes. I don't think the simple drill and fill with fiber optic that looks so good on the smaller ships will work on this one.

So... has anyone tried using dental acrylic at this scale? I can't imagine it's as effective or easy to use on tiny windows.

What about Micro Krystal Klear, any experiences with that?

I've even heard (though not seen) that hot melt glue can be used for filling windows.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

My fledgling YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PapanurgleForums
indianatheshepherd
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Small windows - non FO options?

Post by indianatheshepherd »

For oblong windows I've used Micro Crystal Clear and Testor's Window Maker. They are both pretty much the same. Light does penetrate, but if the window is really narrow, it is only visible straight on, not at an angle because of the thickness of the plastic.

I haven't tried it yet, but it might help light up the windows if you ran fiber optics to the back of the window but used the Crystal Clear on the front... the fiber could possibly help illuminate the crystal clear so light is visible from wider angles.

Oh, and the more light you have inside, the better if you're only going to be using Crystal Clear... rather than individual LEDs, try using high density LED strip lighting.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

indianatheshepherd wrote:For oblong windows I've used Micro Crystal Clear and Testor's Window Maker. They are both pretty much the same. Light does penetrate, but if the window is really narrow, it is only visible straight on, not at an angle because of the thickness of the plastic.

I haven't tried it yet, but it might help light up the windows if you ran fiber optics to the back of the window but used the Crystal Clear on the front... the fiber could possibly help illuminate the crystal clear so light is visible from wider angles.

Oh, and the more light you have inside, the better if you're only going to be using Crystal Clear... rather than individual LEDs, try using high density LED strip lighting.
What he said
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by asmcelhinney »

indianatheshepherd wrote: I haven't tried it yet, but it might help light up the windows if you ran fiber optics to the back of the window but used the Crystal Clear on the front... the fiber could possibly help illuminate the crystal clear so light is visible from wider angles.
That sounds like an interesting, if fiddly alternative. So I take it Micro Krystal Klear makes decent windows? I've only really heard of it being used as adhesive for clear plastic.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

My fledgling YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PapanurgleForums
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Have you considered melting the end of the fiber optic?
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
indianatheshepherd
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by indianatheshepherd »

asmcelhinney wrote:That sounds like an interesting, if fiddly alternative. So I take it Micro Krystal Klear makes decent windows? I've only really heard of it being used as adhesive for clear plastic.
Yes, it makes decent windows if the area being filled is small enough. Use a fine tip brush and apply to the inside of the hole. It's natural water tension will hold it in place. You can also apply scotch tape to the outside of the model and apply the Krystal Klear from the inside so when it drys it has a nice flat surface on the outside. I've seen people use this technique using clear epoxy as well, but for larger openings.

Keep in mind, both Krystal Kleer and the Testor's brand window maker may take awhile to dry because for windows they are being used as a filler... but when they do, they are in fact, clear.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

A year ago or so my daughter had this silver gel pen. When the light caught the ink just right it almost looked like it was 'lighted' from behind. I tried it out on a model and it did look like the window was lit from behind. I'll see if I can find the pen or even go out and buy a new one and try this again and post pics of the results, it may be a workable option.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

RogueWolf wrote:A year ago or so my daughter had this silver gel pen. When the light caught the ink just right it almost looked like it was 'lighted' from behind. I tried it out on a model and it did look like the window was lit from behind. I'll see if I can find the pen or even go out and buy a new one and try this again and post pics of the results, it may be a workable option.
Be sure to Identify the make and model of that pen please.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

I will if I can find it!
Valar Morghulis
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

OK, I couldn't find the original silver gel pen, I believe it dried up on me long ago. So I went to Wally World today and found these:

I looked for a smaller pen pack with just the silver and gold in them but couldn't find one. This set cost me $5.97 Cdn, I figure my friends to the south can get it for about $3 and change.

First the silver with no flash, I used an old 1/1400 Voyager;
And with Flash;
So the silver wasn't as good as I remembered with the flash on and off, but the light does catch it well and almost looks like there is internal lighting.

On to the Gold. Boy was I impressed!
Gold with flash on;
And with flash off;

I think that the gold might be worth your money if you want to have another option to window coloration. YMMV but I think I might give this a shot on some of my models.
Valar Morghulis

Return to “Lighting”