Contest final stages delayed

Theme: Anything goes! The build deadline for participants is October 1st. This contest is closed.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Contest final stages delayed

Post by zookman »

it was always stated in the rules that must be a new build and pics of parts with some sort of time stamp .. ( usualy newspaper showing date ) ..
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

Okay Saiyagohan, I'll bite. Since you've once again questioned the integrity of the contest, the participants and even managed to twist the knife with me, let's break it down and do this. 100% transparency.
saiyagohan wrote:Well since the contest and rules has had exceptions made and extensions made to it, and people allowed to enter past the deadline
The sign up deadline was extended to allow for folks attending Wonderfest to get back, recharge and take part. The extended deadline was July 1st. I see only three participants that joined at the last minute:

cannon fodder Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:44 am
Blappy Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:50 am
JBOT Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Allowing for global time differences to catch up, Cannon Fodder was legal. Blappy was also legal.
JBOT technically wasn't. However, as both Blappy and JBOT were friends, brand new to the community, the contest rules and format, I didn't want to slam the door in their face.

As it stands Blappy and JBOT didn't make it. Only Cannon Fodder looks like he made it with a 99% completed build by the 8th and a 100% build by the 10th. Judging by the huge amount of folks that dropped out, with only a handful of completed builds, I'm likely to let this one pass.
saiyagohan wrote:and from what I saw on FB that some models were started 3 to 4 moths before the contest even started

I don't have the time to investigate every entry and tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt.
saiyagohan wrote:well I say lets give the extention until November 1st or even December 1st. Then every contestant can finish their models.
The deadline was always going to be a little flexible, given the aforementioned global time difference. However, when I have the time I will only review builds leading up to the 8th October. IF a build went over the line by a small margin, I'll make a judgement call based on the circumstances involved.
saiyagohan wrote:Hopefully by then RL hopely will be over and we can finally pick a winner. Not trying to be sarcastic or anything
Oh, but you are being sarcastic, and then some. Furthermore, that is a blatant personal attack. How dare you belittle MY LIFE! Who the !!!!!!!! do you think you are? NO ONE has given me grief other than YOU!

When you first started complaining about the contest in May/June, you brought the integrity of AST into question. In doing so, questioning my integrity. I let it slide at the time because I didn't know you. I do now and to be honest, for many reasons, I don't want you here.
saiyagohan wrote:just figure that it really isn't a contest anymore since allowances were made and rules were broken, so since we've come this far lets just go all the way.
Of course it's still a contest. Folks have worked hard on their builds, gone through ups and downs. Had breaks due to RL and started work again with renewed mojo. Some have made it, others haven't.

You have to bend in life. The internet is no exception. Whether it's allowing a sign up extension to allow for WF trekkers to get back and join or last minute newbies taking part. You bend to accommodate. Quite frankly your general tone and remarks about the contest, fellow participants and my life are disgusting.

NO ONE else has done this during our two years.
saiyagohan wrote:Sorry but this is how I feel and I do not want to upset anyone by what I'm saying here and if it does I'm very sorry.
Oh, give me a break! You know exactly what you're doing. You knew exactly how I'd react to this. Guess what? Enough is enough my mouthy little friend. I will not have anyone repeatedly attack the integrity of this site, the community and belittle my life. You show zero respect, zero understanding and quite frankly, have brought out the worst in me, at a time when I absolutely did NOT need the grief.

I don't want poisonous individuals stirring the pot in an otherwise exceptionally friendly community.

You're dust! GONE!!
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

Contest update: I've gone through all the entries. We had a record number of participants for the "Make It So!" contest. Unfortunately, that was eclipsed by a record number of folks pulling out or running out of time.

A total of only seven entries were completed. I'm currently waiting on news from one participant as to whether they still wish to enter their build in the voting process.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

How many did we officially start with, Xen? I'm wondering what the completion percentage was.

You never need to apologize for real life issues. We all have them, and we know what they're like. Heck, I'm lucky I managed to pull together enough hours to get my entry done at all. Between working full-time, having a family, being involved in church, and working on weekends for my in-laws' auction business, I was lucky to find an hour or two per week of build time, maximum.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

As one of the sponsors for this contest, I have to support Xen. While we would like to give everyone the opportunity to do whatever they wish, for as long of a time as they wish, that's just not how things work in real life. There must be rules and guidelines for everyone to compete on more or less the same level, but at the same time allowances must be made in a case like WonderFest where folks were literally still travelling on the afternoon of 1 June.

I was at WonderFest, and Blappy and JBOT were both still there on the morning of 1 June, and likely didn't fly out of the Louisville, Kentucky airport until the afternoon or evening bound for Canada. Since they are both producers of garage kit products, their minds were focused completely on the event until after they returned home and had a chance to finally commit to the contest. Both guys are a blast to have conversations with, and I wish they had time to complete their builds. Hopefully they'll compete again in the future, or at least stay in touch here at AST.

Continuing the contest for another couple of months just isn't an option either. It must end at some point, and since it was already extended once, that's it. Xen made a good call. My post is not for those of you who already have come to enjoy what AST has to offer, but for those who are still lurking out there and trying to decide whether or not to participate. There's always going to be someone who isn't happy no matter what you do. These contests are a good thing and help us to get to know each other, and help each other with suggestions for bettering ourselves at the hobby. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm ready to cast my vote and ship out the prizes to the winners. ;)
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
cannon fodder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by cannon fodder »

I have to support xen on his rl issues as well. Ive had my share of those lately.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

I think Xen showed good judgment. Showing a few late entries, or give a day or two to finish was all in good faith.
curt
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by curt »

Sorry I am with Xen on this matter as well. Thats all Inhave to say at this moment.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

I totally agree with Xen on this. The contest is being run fairly and in a way that accommodates the realities of life's time commitments versus model building. I also agree that this site doesn't need people launching groundless, spiteful attacks. Better to give 'em the boot. Let's just have fun building and exchanging ideas and pictures.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Completely in support of Xen. As a former contestant, I agree that the running of the contest has been fair. I did not fret when cannon fodder, JBOT and Blappy were allowed to enter past the entry date. As far as I was concerned, the more the merrier.

Real life gets in the way, we have to respect that. That's what happened to me and that's why I withdrew. I knew that I was going to run out of time. In Xen's case, I hope that it passes soon.
Del wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm ready to cast my vote and ship out the prizes to the winners. ;)
Me too!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “2014 AST "Make It So" Model and Miniature Contest (Closed)”