1/10000 ships

Discuss 1/3900, 1/7000 and other miniatures here.
virtualscratchbuilder
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

1/10000 ships

Post by virtualscratchbuilder »

werwulf
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Re: 1/10000 ships

Post by werwulf »

Those are pretty impressive. Are they scratch built or is there a manufacturer that does these. I may have to rethink doing ACTASF and go this route.
virtualscratchbuilder
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

They are scratchbuilt.
sandtable
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by sandtable »

Wow.

What are they made of. What was your method. They are amazing.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

I'll second the request for details and any pics of construction you have. I'd guess one one like the reliant you sand a 1/8the thick piece of wood into a circle. Then sand another one into the half circle for the top of the saucer and then glue them together.
virtualscratchbuilder
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Steam235 wrote:I'll second the request for details and any pics of construction you have. I'd guess one one like the reliant you sand a 1/8the thick piece of wood into a circle. Then sand another one into the half circle for the top of the saucer and then glue them together.
On the 1/10000 ships (I call them Nanotrek) I cheat. I make the basic shape in wood, then glue a downloaded graphic to the basic shape, and then touch up the rest (nacelles, etc) with paint. At that scale it looks a lot better than anything I can do with pure paint. For these I just find an appropriate top view, size it in Word, print multiple copies, cut out what I need and use Elmer's glue to affix it to the balsa.. then touch up edges. To get some verticality, like a saucer bridge, I cut another graphic (just the bridge) and a balsa part of the right size and layer that. Then touch up edges.
sandtable
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by sandtable »

virtualscratchbuilder wrote:
Steam235 wrote:I'll second the request for details and any pics of construction you have. I'd guess one one like the reliant you sand a 1/8the thick piece of wood into a circle. Then sand another one into the half circle for the top of the saucer and then glue them together.
On the 1/10000 ships (I call them Nanotrek) I cheat. I make the basic shape in wood, then glue a downloaded graphic to the basic shape, and then touch up the rest (nacelles, etc) with paint. At that scale it looks a lot better than anything I can do with pure paint. For these I just find an appropriate top view, size it in Word, print multiple copies, cut out what I need and use Elmer's glue to affix it to the balsa.. then touch up edges. To get some verticality, like a saucer bridge, I cut another graphic (just the bridge) and a balsa part of the right size and layer that. Then touch up edges.
That's not cheating, thats thinking outside the box. Don't model harder, model smarter.
martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by martok2112 »

Those are amazing, and I'll second the notion that your detailing technique is NOT cheating. :)
You adapted, you improvised, you overcame! (To quote Gunny Highway from Heartbreak Ridge) :)
Remember, you can't have gagh without "gag"! :D
OdysseySlipways
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by OdysseySlipways »

i'm just wondering how his wife doesn't notice buttons missing off of her cloths and him having new scartch built play toys...........
Bellerophon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Bellerophon »

Those really are fantastic! The first thing that jumped out at me was that tiny Saber, less than an inch long. Please show more pics, virtualscratchbuilder!

If that's cheating, we should all cheat more!
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

My modeling blog: http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/ (mostly build logs)
My other modeling blog: http://bellerophon.blog.com/ (photo galleries and links)

Return to “Gaming”