What would make you participate (more?) at AST?

The place for forum help, reporting bugs and other issues relating to AST.

What would make you participate (more?) at AST?

Nothing. I just like to read threads and check out pics when I find something interesting. I'm not much for talking, but it's a great site!
20%
AST is okay. It feels quite intimidating, so I prefer just to look around. I'm honestly not sure what you can do.
1%
It's just too specialized. I think this is as good as you're going to get!
No votes
I consider myself a newbie and don't want to embarrass myself or feel pressured. A private newbie section might help.
6%
If you had a voice chat option (like Teamspeak), that would help!
1%
I'm a regular and post when I see something I like. It's just the nature of the beast. AST is cool!
27%
Talking to folks in real time (like some kind of group messenger) would help!
4%
I post a lot and think this is a great place. There are lurkers everywhere. There's nothing you can do about it.
6%
AST needs a makeover and then you'll get more participation.
1%
Remove member restrictions! If you get spam, deal with it then. That should help!
1%
More contests and prizes. That will get folks talking!
5%
You need to have a proper website and not just a forum, with a magazine style format (blog, gallery etc).
3%
I'm not sure, but I think the answer is 42! :P
17%
Other (please specify if possible).
7%

Total votes: 142

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What would make you participate (more?) at AST?

Post by Tesral »

2-4% active participants is about average for any forum. I don't think anyone has figured out how to change that short of tossing the lurkers off to up the percentage. A BAD IDEA from my POV, just saying.

So, I don't think it's a percentage you should worry about.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

I love the site, I'm finishing up my 4th wip thread in the next few days. I think this site has alot going for it. The inline pictures and the fact that threads aren't auto-purged are huge difference makers. I think what could take it to the next level would be a more website type front page.

But I can't imagine the work it would take to set up a news page, model gallery articles, ect. I think it's clear that culttvman, and starship modeler have those features because it's a homepage for a store front. It is their day job to maintain it.

As for how to get lurkers to post I have no idea. I know it's hard those who are lurking and building models are building the same ones we are and maybe people don't feel welcome posting the 8th 9th or 10th thread about a single model.

I've tried making some threads discussing trek it's self and the episode discussion threads haven't taken off.

Maybe a facebook presence would help expose the site to more people.
SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SingleMind »

An army of clones!

If I had clones that would go to work for me then I would have the time I need.

But in all seriousness AST is great as it is. I'm brand new to modeling. I've done plenty of spaceship building but mostly my own stuff. The information and people here have been helpful in getting me started. Just hanging back and "listening". Every time I look on here I get inspired to head into my dungeon of a basement and bash something up. I have been mostly doing that. Don't think it should be expanded to none Trek stuff. The focused nature is cool.

So as a newbie I would say there is nothing AST can do to make me contribute more unless you can change the laws of physics to give me time to get things worked on so I can have eye candy to show or experience to share.

Just keep doing what your doing.

P.S. This is about the only website I look at.
Confidence - that feeling you get right before you fully understand the situation.
Burke
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Burke »

I post as much as I can, I'm actually scared to lol. I have social anxiety and am afraid people will think what I say is stupid or attack me. But I try to get over that crap and post when I can. I have some builds planned and plan on doing a build log here, which is something I haven't really done yet.
Atlanthia
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by Atlanthia »

Nothing really needs improving. A great forum!
Women with pointy ears turn me on......I know......I'm sick.....
ulvdemon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by ulvdemon »

IN my opinion the forum is great as it is. I haven't had the chance to post lately because I have not worked on a Trek model for a bit. Yet the builds that I have shown on here have been well-received and the feedback has helped in the progression of my builds. Plus, getting a chance to see how people are tackling the 537 (or 529) Refits with the molded on aztecing is giving me the confidence to tackle the one I have on hold, especially when I do not have the luxury of having multiples of the same subject! :mrgreen:
Current Build: Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D

On Hold: 1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM
Completed: 1/420 USS Defiant
Completed: AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise
Completed: 1/72 Bandai VF-1J
Completed: Linbergh's USS Gato
Bellerophon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Bellerophon »

I agree, this is a great forum. Where else would you go when all you are interested in is Trek models built to a common scale with lots of inline photos? Which is pretty often in my case. I don't agree it should be broadened to non-Trek: there's always the Off Topic sub-forum.

As good as this forum is, the fact that Xen is looking for ways to improve it really bodes well!
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

My modeling blog: http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/ (mostly build logs)
My other modeling blog: http://bellerophon.blog.com/ (photo galleries and links)
bunnyast
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by bunnyast »

I really like this Forum, it's somewhat overshadowed by SSM in my opinion but that place can get a little, bit snippy at times. I have noticed that some here build a lot in all different scales and eras with seemingly unlimited funds whilst others like myself have to limit ourselves to one scale and/or time period. There is no snobbery here, even those who are at beginner level are given encouragement and advice.
Tugg
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Tugg »

I feel that AST is a great forum. It is nice to check every few days and see what new stuff everyone is working on, checking out pics, and hear what you all are talking about. I have been a huge fan of all the different Treks, and I like the fact that the focus here is only on Trek. I have been a lurker at broad topic forums out there, it is nice to keep up on the hobby a whole, but I was really missing a place to hang out with other trek modelers like me :vulcan:.. so I am very happy that AST is here !

Hey Burke - I hear what your are saying... I have re-read this message like 7 times.. damn.. now 8 ... trying to make it sound just right.. and I am sure there is something still messed up ;)
...................................... I suffer from Post Anxiety :shock:
This does keep me from participating as often as I would like.. you are all friendly folks, and kindred spirits...
I will try to get over it and just post ! :mrgreen:
Temba, his arms wide ------ ;)
FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Location: Bargersville, Indiana, USA, NA, Sol III, Terran System

Post by FatherRob »

For me, my participation is limited by the time I am spending online these days, which is low. I love the site, but three kids keeps me busy - especially a fussy infant!

That said, I try to visit daily while at work... just can't do a lot from there!

Rob+

Return to “Help & Contact”