La Galería del Gato

Anything Trek. Any Scale (specify).
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

La Galería del Gato

Post by el gato » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:45 pm

I'll start off by breaking one of the rules. Before Xen throws a hammer at me, please let me explain. I've gone through 3 main phases in my modeling "career." The first spurt was in the middle of the 80s, roughly corresponding when I was 12 in 1983 and I built my first model, KITT from Knight Rider. During this time I bulit a lot of planes and ships plus a couple of helicopters (Airwolf and Blue Thunder). This lasted until 1986ish when my obsession with girls took over. Sadly, no models from this era survived.

The second spurt occurred in the mid-1990s (1995-1998), shortly after I settled into my first serious post-college job and my obsession with Star Trek models took over. These are the models that survived from that era. Here are the first two:
2018-02-12 21.58.09.jpg
Look at those things, straight out of the box, large seams, wrong color (though I thought my TOS scheme was pretty good), brush strokes, rudementary detail paint job... 《shudder》

While I stopped building because I left that crappy furst job, then we bought our first home, then we had to landscape it, then I went to grad school, then we were trying for a family, then I had to get the first serious post-grad school job, etc. my interest in the hobby had not waned. I frequented my first board, HobbyTalk and became frozen in fear as I saw what the masters were building and my best was the Enterprise D (coming up).

I often wonder where I would be had I not stopped, engaged in paralysis by analysis and just kept building, improving each time. Let that be a lesson kids. Just push through and don't let 10 years go by because you're afraid to try something new.
Last edited by el gato on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: La Galería del Gato

Post by el gato » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:10 pm

This is my pride and joy from that era. It's an oob build. The aztec-ing and the windows were by hand, even if the colors are off. I complained every moment when I painted it, but was happy when it was finished.
2018-02-12 21.59.00.jpg
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:12 pm

This is the D'Kora from the Adversary Set. Again, an oob build, hand painted and the colors are off. Still, I'm happy how it came out:
2018-02-16 09.14.28.jpg

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:20 pm

The last from the 90s builds that I will share (there's also the V'ger 3-piece set that survived two moves) is the Warbird. There's a theme here: oob build, hand painted, colors are off, no attempt to hide seams...
2018-02-12 21.59.40.jpg
One thing I noticed when I took the photo was that there's now a black spot on the silver grills. I have no idea how it got there

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:20 am

Continuing...

Around 2007, after the landscape was in, grad school was done and we were done with the interior decorating, I finally got off my keester and started modeling. By then I settled on building 4 scales exclusively: 1/35, 1/72, 1/2500 and 1/10,000ish.

I was dumb, i started with some 1/72nd scale shuttlecraft, fighters and mecha. Those were way beyong my skill level at the time. I grew frustrated and set them aside (all are still not finished).

In 2009ish, I moved into 2500 ships...because. My first was the TOS E, but I was ambitious and tried to make the little guy more accurate. Overall I'm satified with it, even if I didn't know what I was doing at the time.
2018-02-12 22.00.32.jpg
Last edited by el gato on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:26 am

And why not the E-A too (with the new tooling)
2018-02-12 22.02.03.jpg

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:28 am

And the E-B. I sanded off those bloody raised panel lines
2018-02-12 22.03.25.jpg

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:39 am

The 2500 Ambassador kit is weird. It is not accurate for the E-C. It's also not accurate for the Yamaguchi variant. It's a mishmash of the two. So I did the best I cohld to make it closer to the C: narroed the top half of the aft engineering hull, widened the fan tail and sanded off the lifeboats the C didn't have. I also used the clear nacelles available at FedMods
2018-02-17 18.38.27.jpg

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:09 am

Now, you'd think the next model that I would list would be the 2500 E-D and you'd be both wrong and right. You're right in that's what I should do. but because I will not be beholden to the alphabet (not to mention I'm still not done with the D), here is the E-E. The only attempt at making this somewhat accurate was to fix the pylons so that they're close to the right angle.
2018-02-18 23.08.46.jpg

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:13 am

I should confess that the TOS E was not my first build. It's my second. That's because my first attempt was demolished by one of my fat cats. I decided to take the sad remains of my Enterprise and turn it into a TOS version of the Intrepid Class
2018-02-12 22.26.21.jpg

Return to “General Member Galleries”