TNG ERA KITBASH

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

TNG ERA KITBASH

Post by patrickivan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:39 am

I've finally gotten around to having some space to work on my models since moving.

Started small by breaking out the 1:2500 stuff, and my TNG era long range science platform. The intent for this design is to provide a platform to accommodate a wide range of large shuttle and scientific equipment, that are too unstable or too large for safe matter energy conversion transporting.

The compact flat design allows for multiple, large staging areas that other vessels can't accommodate. The large Galaxy Class design aesthetic, continues to provide large comfortable crew quarters and facilities, and state of the art science labs, to facilitate long range/ long term science specific missions.

The ship becomes an orbital base station while long term planet side missions can take place. There's great flexibility to allowing for a concert of efforts to be undertaken from both the planet and in orbit.

It's really almost a micro colony to study things of great interest to the Federation, that ordinary science vessels are too small to undertake due to either the distance from the supply chain, and or size of the studies in question.

Despite the mission mandate for Exploration, I'd put this ship into the smaller production side of things. Maybe a couple of dozen (space is a BIG place). I'd think that other member systems are mandated to have their own similar ships as part of the agreement to be part of the Federation, or core founders, like the Vulcans.

The model itself of course is based off the Galaxy Class. The general inspiration was from the Miranda class, with a more integrated shape to fit more with the Galaxy Class design aesthetic.

The bulk of the new material is balsa, styrene, and modeling putty.

I just started experimenting (new for me) with thinning out the putty and brushing it on. I very much like that. It really helps finish off the built up surfaces far more efficiently than I've been doing.

Here's my progress as of last night.

Last edited by patrickivan on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: TNG ERA KITBASH

Post by Tesral » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Interesting. I'll have to give that a try.

Nice design too.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Halgebra_A6N
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Halgebra_A6N » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:18 pm

What did you use to thin the green stuff?

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by patrickivan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:36 pm

Halgebra_A6N wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:18 pm
What did you use to thin the green stuff?
I just tried some liquid cement.

I needed a solvent that also evaporated quickly.

I haven't unpacked all my stuff yet, and want to try 99% isopropyl alcohol, and paint thinner. My preference would be that the isopropyl alcohol works. Paint thinner just stinks too much.
Tesral wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:22 pm
Interesting. I'll have to give that a try.

Nice design too.
Thanks. It is really convenient.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 am

patrickivan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:36 pm
I haven't unpacked all my stuff yet, and want to try 99% isopropyl alcohol, and paint thinner. My preference would be that the isopropyl alcohol works. Paint thinner just stinks too much.
Alcohol works. I would suggest switching to the Squadron white. It is finer grained and easier to work. Better yet Perfect Plastic Putty that is water soluble.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by patrickivan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:56 am

Tesral wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 am
patrickivan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:36 pm
Alcohol works. I would suggest switching to the Squadron white. It is finer grained and easier to work. Better yet Perfect Plastic Putty that is water soluble.
Thanks for the heads up.

The Perfect Plastic putty is horribly expensive. $24 on amazon and anything else is about the same after exchange rate and shipping. It's getting harder and harder to get modeling supplies where I live. 1 hobby shop closed, and another is practically just RC stuff now. Amazon is very little use for modeling supplies because it's all imported.

I was trying to get a 1/144 mig-25 for a project, and the most inexpensive I can find is over $20... $5 for the model, the rest for shipping. It's ridiculous. This stuff used to be absolutely everywhere up to about 15 year ago.

I've heard a lot of people using bondo glazing putty. I'll give that a go. But I really do like the perfect plastic putty water solubility. I'm not too keen on working with too many solvents without a fume hood.

ThunderboltA10
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by ThunderboltA10 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Regarding the useability of alcohol to thin putty, is it reserved to 90-99% technical alcohol, or can other liquids be used as well?
Because I've been using cheap no-brand vodka to clean my brushes for the last couple years, and it's been working perfectly fine :lol:

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm

ThunderboltA10 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:31 pm
Regarding the useability of alcohol to thin putty, is it reserved to 90-99% technical alcohol, or can other liquids be used as well?
Because I've been using cheap no-brand vodka to clean my brushes for the last couple years, and it's been working perfectly fine :lol:
Best use for the crap. I've used the 71% drug store stuff to thin putty. You don't need the 10 bucks a bottle technical grade.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by patrickivan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Tesral wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm
ThunderboltA10 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:31 pm
Best use for the crap. I've used the 71% drug store stuff to thin putty. You don't need the 10 bucks a bottle technical grade.
I get 99% for $6CDN per 500ml but also use it for cleaning my electronics. Never use less than the 99% on ANY electronics. Ever.

It evaporates super fast, so that could be an issue with the putty now that I think about it. We need time to work with it, so the 71 makes sense.

ThunderboltA10
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by ThunderboltA10 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Tesral wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm
Eh, I wouldn't be so categoric, it works fine to clean the fat off a frying pan, and to light a fire as well! Dollar store vodka truly is a gift, as long as you use it for everything but its intended purpose. :P

And yes, of course I use 99% alcohol for electronics, I wouldn't use el cheapo spirits on anything relatively sensitive... And using a less concentrated alcohol solution could well fix your drying speed issue, I've used 70%, 90% and 99% alcohol for different purposes, and the difference in evaporation speed is noticeable even when you don't observe it that closely.

Return to “1/2500”