Hideki-Class Scout: C.D.S. Imgadrane

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
ReyDawg
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Hideki-Class Scout: C.D.S. Imgadrane

Post by ReyDawg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Hideki-Class Scout
C.D.S. Imgadrane

Hello all,
Here is the Federation Models Hideki-Class Scout (RMS-76).
IMG_2346.JPG
Here is the base for the Cardassian vessel. The name was created by the game developers of Armada II.
IMG_2379.JPG
Dorsal-starboard view of the Imgadrane.
The model is a light tan resin with a slightly rough surface grain. Two bubbles on the main hull were easily filled with Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty (BD44). The one-piece model contains just a small amount of flash. Left and right features such as the pincer tail are not symmetrical and were reshaped. The hull has raised details and finely-engraved panel lines. Photo-etch detail parts were added to enhance the surfaces of the vessel. The kit contains no decals or stand.

Light sanding and reshaping of the pincers was followed by washing the pieces in Woolite in cold water and lightly scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Using superglue, I attached a variety of photo-etched (PE) details from Eduard, Part, and Tom's Model Works. The bits and pieces are actually 1/72 scale WW I seat belts, sections of machine guns, and WW II 1/700 scale warship pieces. At this stage, the PE bits made the vessel look like it had been assimilated by the Borg. I primed with three light coats of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer L (Light Gray, #87064), from the spray can. The PE details blended nicely with the model's surface. These PE detail parts would be a great way to show partial assimilation of a vessel. Don't forget to add the eerie green glow of the Borg energy conduits.

I've never used Humbrol paint products. I tested the compatibility of Humbrol Spray Sand 63 (AD6063) and Model Master Lacquer Overcoat Clear Lusterless (Flat) (#1260) on a scrap piece of sheet plastic. I allowed the Humbrol acrylic to dry for 24 h and then top coated with the Model Master Lacquer. I let the clear coat dry for nearly 3 days. No lifting or any damage to the undercoat was observed.
IMG_2364.JPG
You don't want to see this view of a Hideki-Class scout exiting a nebula.
I top coated the entire model with three light coats of Humbrol Spray Sand 63 (AD6063), from a spray can. The paint exits the tip with more force than expected, but it dries quickly, levels, and allows the gray primer to show through slightly. The result appeared as if I used my airbrush.

I picked out details, using four different brands of paints. I dry brushed all of the following paints to maintain a subtle difference between each color. I painted the navigational deflector Plaid Liberty Blue (#20563), straight no dry brushing. I painted assorted raised PE details and the bridge dome Polly Scale US Ghost Gray Light (F505376). I used the same paint brand in USSR Light Earth Brown (F505228) to paint PE surface details, the inner ring around the bridge, and the “lighted” energy conduits on the lateral surfaces of the body. I used Tamiya Color Metallic Brown (X-34) on the conduits on the lateral, dorsal, and ventral surfaces of the ship. Model Master Leather (#4674) was diluted 50% with Future and applied over the conduits. This color was dry brushed to highlight the leading edge of the hull, outer ring surrounding the bridge, assorted raised PE details, and the medial blocks (spines) running along the dorsal and ventral surfaces.
IMG_2383.JPG
If you have any left-over 1/72 WW I Photo-etch seat belts or machine gun parts, use them for surface details.
I top coated the model with Model Master Lacquer Overcoat Clear Lusterless (Flat) (#1260), two light coats. I did not apply any sludge washes.

I applied two coats of Future by flat brush—only on the area to place the decals—and allowed it to dry for two hours. I used two decals: one for the Cardassian Union emblem and one for the characters, cutting both decals close to the ink. These came from the PNT Models set Starfleet Alternatives Model Component System: Current Star Trek Series Insignias (#5034). The decals responded well to Micro Sol (MI-2). After drying, I carefully wiped the decals with distilled water on a Q-tip. I applied one more coat of Future and allowed to dry. The decals look painted on the surface.
IMG_2384.JPG
Ventral view of the Cardassian vessel.
I top coated the model with Model Master Lacquer (#1260), two light coats and allowed to dry for 8 h.

I separately ground black, brown, and light blue pastel chalk and moistened with distilled water. I very lightly dry brushed streaks and areas of wear and tear. After drying, I top coated the model with Model Master Lacquer (#1260), two light coats.

I named this vessel C.D.S. Imgadrane. The name sounds Cardassian and certainly plays trippingly on the tongue. The following information on this specific vessel comes from memory-beta.wikia.com.
IMG_2390.JPG
Another ventral view, showing the photo-etch surface details.
“The Imgadrane was a Cardassian Hideki-class patrol ship/fighter starship in the 24th century, in service of the Cardassian Union's Central Command around the year 2377 (ST video game: Armada II).” Memory-beta continues: “No specific history or definitive final fate was established for this vessel as its name was selected for a[n] starship by the Armada II game developers, and is sometimes placed randomly when the ship appears.”
IMG_2382.JPG
The distinctive silhouette reminds me of a horseshoe crab.
This model is a nicely-detailed, one-piece beauty. It's also my first Cardassian vessel. The overall shape of the Hideki-class reminds me of a horseshoe crab. This ship paints up into an attractive DS-9 vessel. I had a fun time detailing the surface with PE metal. I now have a Cardassian antagonist that can irritate my Next Generation vessels.

Please enjoy the images. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

ReyDawg

Frank Fowler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Hideki-Class Scout: C.D.S. Imgadrane

Post by Frank Fowler » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Very nice. Great job on a tiny model.

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by RogueWolf » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Great work, I love the photo etch details!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

ReyDawg
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by ReyDawg » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:07 am

Thank you very much.

ReyDawg

Return to “1/2500”