Re: P/Review AMT 1/2500 1701D FInal Pictures and thoughts on page 2

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: P/Review AMT 1/2500 Enterprise D

Post by Steam235 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:45 am

The decals are very strong, they also react very well to micro sol and are fitting very nicely on the model.
IMG_1305.jpg
IMG_1306.jpg
IMG_1309.jpg
IMG_1310.jpg

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:59 pm

Steam235 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:44 am
I know it's silly but I am thrilled this kit is finally coming with a base.
So if I gather correctly, this kit has the largely unchanged (for the last 30+ years) E-D with a new base & box and has darker blue Aztec decals (nicer??) in comparison to fairly recent releases including the multiple Enterprises (with NX which has a base) & single E (which has no base) and older triple releases (which had various bases including "arrowhead" & "flight mode" for 3 ships but significantly less extensive decals). I think it retails for ~$30 where previous versions cost ~$17-$19 (no base), ~$70 (Enterprises) & varies (older triples). I'm trying to understand their thinking behind this release. I think it would be better to release it as part of a group, like a legendary encounter (with Lantry or Bozeman -- just a modification to their existing Reliant, or a new Oberth science vessel -- just a reduction to their recent Grissom release, or the Ktinga which could more resemble the Quonos 1 or some newly released kit).

How do others feel about this?

Your build is coming out great BTW!
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:53 pm

CultTvman has it for $23.95. I think $20 is a fair price and I'm hoping that it ends up in stores for about that. I think $30 would be far too high.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Interesting decision not to paint a base color. I would knock it down with a bit of flat however, kill the gloss and seal the decals.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:20 pm

I'm sorry I didn't mean to leave that out. I definitely did paint the model with an over all grey acrylic before I started masking for the other colors. Then the entire model was given a gloss coat. It will get another gloss coat in between the Aztec and marking decals and then a flat coat.

MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by MEATLOAFr » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:22 am

Steam235 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:53 pm
CultTvman has it for $23.95. I think $20 is a fair price and I'm hoping that it ends up in stores for about that. I think $30 would be far to high.
I still think the $23.95 is still to high, the 3-piece set was only $19.95 30 years ago. Not enough has been done to it to warrant a 25% increase in price while cutting out 2 full kits and their base.

This and the recent reissues, (re-re-reissues with the Galaxy and Romulan Warbird) should have made back more than enough that they shouldn’t cost THAT much more than the originals. I do understand that petrochemical prices are tons more expensive than 30 years ago but still, most of the R&D has already been paid back.

Sorry about the rant - just needed to get that off my chest
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
NOW PRINTING WHITE DECALS
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:02 am

Final Thoughts.
IMG_1334.jpg
Overall this is a model that everyone who likes Star Trek Models should build and have on a shelf. (Unless you have the 1:1400 1701D) You can't escape the fact that this is the Hero ship from Star Trek's most popular show. Just as every Star Wars builder should have an X Wing and a Falcon, Every Trek builder should have Kirk's ship and Picard's ship.

If you want to see some great build ups of this kit Just scroll through this forum and there are at least a half dozen builds here that will eclipse the one I did over the past week. As this is a review thread I wanted to build it mostly out of box.

This is the snap kit most of us have come to know very well over the years. The fit is good. Parts fit nicely. The parts are clean and well shaped with apropriate levels of detail. It snaps together in minutes, and while there are some seams to clean up it's pretty easy to fix.

Here's a few things I've noticed about this release.

First, I love the dome base. However they moved the hole for the base towards the back of the model. The model is now just ever so slightly front heavy. If I were to build it again I'd put some ballast towards the back of the ship.
IMG_1360.jpg
Decals.

Decal color. I've really been raking my brain trying to think about the color on these decals. I've been wondering if I should have picked a different shade of grey for my base coat. Maybe I should have gone with robins egg blue instead of grey. There's a good chance that these decals were made to go over a light blue and because I used gray they have a stronger contrast than they should. But I really didn't use a very light grey. I think I used a fair shade of gray for the review and I think the decals are darker than they should be. The box does call out to use either robins egg blue or light gray.

I love that the decals provide a modeller with so much detail and this should be a very accessible kit for some one who wouldn't be able to paint all of the detail, but I think that many modelers might be disappointed with these decals and end up with a model that doesn't quite look right.

The quality of the decal material is fantastic. Not a single one tore, they were re-positionable and reacted very well with micro-sol.

I hope these next two pictures will show how well micro-sol worked on these decals. On the lower saucer they just soften and sunk right into the recesses for those windows. On the upper saucer you can see how well they curved around the bridge decks and how they sunk into the indents.
IMG_1361.jpg
IMG_1362.jpg
Interestingly this gave me a problem I had never seen before, where some air had been trapped under a wall paper decal, the micro-sol softened the decal and the air actually puffed it up like a balloon. I had to pop it with a sharp blade press it down with a q-tip and put on some more micro-sol. There are still several tiny bubbles trapped under some of the larger decals.

Here's the ship built as a straight OOB model.

IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1326.jpg
IMG_1328.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg
IMG_1331.jpg
IMG_1332.jpg

Richard Baker
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Richard Baker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:18 pm

Thank you so much for the review!
The biggest disappointment with the original release was the lack of details- they put a bunch of grid lines on the hull which are barely seen and left off the distinctive windows which give the ship it's scale. This reissued kit with the wallpaper decals makes up for that except they made the aztecing far too dark- I think it would look even worse on a ducks egg blue background- the deals turn the ship into a checkerboard IMO.

Pricewise I think it is about what I expected for a kit these days but I will give this one a pass

MEATLOAFr

Post by MEATLOAFr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:06 am

great job on the review - it looks great

I feel those decals are way to blue - maybe they mean for the ship to be over-sprayed to help tone it down?

I'll be picking a few up, or trading for them :lol: can never have to many Galay's 8-)
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
NOW PRINTING WHITE DECALS
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by patrickivan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:02 pm

I'd like to see some pictures of it under controlled dramatic lighting... Just to see how those contrasting colours look in that environment.

I love this review though.

Return to “1/2500”