Alternate Paradigms Shapeways Shop

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Alternate Paradigms
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Alternate Paradigms Shapeways Shop

Post by Alternate Paradigms »

Usually resizing makes them cost prohibitive. I can try it with one and see how it prices out. Is there a nacelle set you're more interested in?
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Well, the Stormbird nacelles top the list for me, followed by Turtleshell Antagonist #2, Romulan-y, TA#4, then TA#1. In that order is my interest. I don’t guess you can hollow these out to drop the price a bit, can you? Or maybe put them in a “sprue”?

I’m just asking because I know hollowing can drop the price for Versatile Plastic and I’ve seen some designers put parts in a sprue, tho think that also was with the Versatile Plastic. I don’t know for sure on this stuff, tho.

Regardless, thanks for the consideration! And tell el gato “hey!” for me, please?
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Alternate Paradigms
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Edited to remove the Saladin parts from the SW store...

... because they will be coming as a resin kit at the MVM store soon. :D
Alternate Paradigms
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Latest addition to the shop are conversion parts to turn your AMT 2500 Original Series RBoP into something similar to the V-9 Night Flyer:

Pointy-Eared Adversary NiteFlyer Conversion Parts

These parts include nacelles, dual plasma guns and hunchback. For the conversion, you will need to

- Remove the kit's tailfin
- Fill in the sides and underside with putty
- Modify the connecting tabs on the pylons so that they can fit into the slots at the bottom of the nacelles
- Sand a little bit of the plasma housing a little so that it can serve as a tab for the new dual torp housing. Fill in as needed
RV9M.jpg
RV9M.jpg (97.35 KiB) Viewed 793 times
Alternate Paradigms
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Now it's the RBoP's turn to get different looks. Now, all of these will need to have the tab on the RBoP's pylons modified to fit the slots on the new nacelles. There is a link on the product description that you can use to check out the detail.

Pointy-Eared Adversary Nacelles 1

Pointy-Eared Adversary Nacelles 2

Pointy-Eared Adversary Nacelles 3

Pointy-Eared Adversary Nacelles 4
Alternate Paradigms
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

romulan_stormbird_ortho_by_xfozzboute-d5k4aly.jpg
romulan_stormbird_ortho_by_xfozzboute-d5k4aly.jpg (86.52 KiB) Viewed 749 times
Also uploaded is the conversion sets to create a ship similar to Rob Willson's version of the Stormbird. Here is the full conversion set:

Pointy-Eared Adversary Stormbird I Full Conversion

I've uploaded just the nacelles.

For those who don't want to remove the impulse housing, here is the link for just the nacelles and the neck & bulb.

Pointy-Eared Adversary Stormbird Cnvrsion Partial
Last edited by Alternate Paradigms on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alternate Paradigms
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

stormbird_angle1.jpg
stormbird_angle1.jpg (113.31 KiB) Viewed 717 times
I've also uploaded Atolm's version of the Stormbird. His version has the impulse housing and nacelles similar to those of the D7. If you want to recreate it, here is just the neck and bulb.

Pointy-Eared Adversary Stormbird II Neck/Bulb only

If you want to mix it up a bit, you can build a Stormbird with Rob Willson's nacelles:

Pointy-Eared Adversary Stormbird Nacelles

Or you can make it look more different by pairing it up with Willson's impulse housing and nacelles:

Pointy-Eared Adversary Stormbird II Full Cnvrsion
Last edited by Alternate Paradigms on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by NoKhando »

I really like the Rob Willson Stormbird , but I don't see how adding an impulse housing to the existing kit nearly doubles the price .

Shapeways labyrinthine pricing structure wins again .

Would joining the parts on a sprue , as already suggested , bring the cost down a bit ?
NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by NoKhando »

Aaaaaand another thing ! :D

If you buy the head and warp drives separately , you save a third of the price of the Stormbird II partial kit . :?
Alternate Paradigms
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Thanks for bringing it up to my attention that the partial kit was more expensive than the separate components. My markup is not much higher than the material cost, so there's little give there for me to adjust the price. As a result, I've removed the partial conversion from the store.

As for joining separate parts to a sprue, knowing how SW prices FUD, I don't see how it works in theory or in practice. The price for FUD is a combination of volume plus footprint times height.* The more material there is, the higher the volume. The more combined the parts are as a single piece, the bigger the footprint. As a result, adding a sprue should raise the price, not lessen it because you're adding material and increasing the footprint.

In practice, I've had a devil of a time making a sprue that SW's algorithms will accept. I've had many meshes rejected because of the sprue, even when I make the sprue the minimum acceptable standalone width. I've only uploaded separate parts ever since SW has allowed it (it used to be that they didn't, the meshes had to be a single object).

* Also answers why "adding an impulse housing to the existing kit nearly doubles the price"

Return to “1/2500”