Gizmo Excelsior

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: Gizmo Excelsior

Post by mophius »

Started on the decals tonight as I had put a glosscoat on her today.
I am not impressed with the decal sheet. While it is a good sheet with lots of ship coverage it does seem to be a scan and reprint of the originals. I cannot seem to find the edges of each one and they seem very dark too. My choice of a white basecoat is not the best either. I should have gone for a pale grey.
But... The decals have gone on very nicely and have sat flat mainly. Some seem a little short but that could be the way I built her up or cut them out.
I suppose you will want to see pictures now.
DSC_0122.JPG
DSC_0123.JPG
DSC_0121.JPG
DSC_0124.JPG
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Sorry, it does not look like the decals toned the white down as much as I thought it would
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

Problem is that I have 2 kits of this and this set seems to be a scanned copy, darker than normal. The other kit the decals are just slightly out of alignment but they seem brighter.
I will get a photo of them both together later tonight.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

The saucer decal appears to be smaller. Those windows on the outer edge beyond the deflector grid rings are supposed to fold over the lip where the curved part meets the flat part of the saucer. Here's mine:

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Here's a picture of the studio model. It's kind of hard to see, but you can definitely see that those windows are on the lip and not on top of the saucer:

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

Yes and the blue one that surrounds the top dome and extends back was very tight on the dome.
This all confirms my suspicion that it is a reprint.
here it is, the comparison.
The sheet on the right is the one I am using. And you can see the edge of the scan on the paper to the far right. The sheet on the left is the one that looks like the print is mis-aligned even though it is lighter it still looks like a re-print.
DSC_0125.jpg
They both appear to be the same size though.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Both of mine were original Gizmo kits with the Gizmo decals offered under the Gizmo brand name. The markings were blue. This tells me both of your sheets are scanned and not prints off of the original artwork.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

I do have another one coming from an Ebay buy so will be interested to see what is with that one
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

You scored a Gizmo Excelsior off eBay?? Man, I need to recalibrate my auto searches
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

el gato wrote:You scored a Gizmo Excelsior off eBay?? Man, I need to recalibrate my auto searches
Oh yeah, I search many different Ebay sites looking for the choicest cuts. In my latest find I have:
Saber Class
Excelsior Class (NX-Version, complete aztec decals)
Daedalus Class
Pre-TOS Klingon
Pre-TOS Romulan
Starfleet Museum Wasp Class
Unknown Starfleet Museum ship

The Daedalus and the 2 pre-TOS ships are the Cozmo 3 early ship set.

Return to “1/2500”