USS WOLF-A (altered fan design from John Payne) [Pic heavy]

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
WarpNein
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: USS WOLF-A (altered fan design from John Payne) [Pic heavy]

Post by WarpNein » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:57 am

Tesral wrote:It is an admission that the good guy code doesn't work, and that hard men willing to do evil things are required for good to win. I must fall back on the Bible here; "What profit it a man to gain the whole world, and lose his own soul." Picard is the patron saint of those principles of Star Trek. It is Picard that stands up again and again to state "What kind of people are we?" Again and again he confirms that we are a people that hold truth as the highest virtue. We are a people that hold you cannot defend a principle if you break it. James Kirk also has his moment at the pulpit. "Yes, we are killers, but we will not kill today! " -- Garry's Rules for Trek Plots
Sometimes the good guy code doesn't work, and hard men must do evil things. Sisko's poisoning of Solosos III is an evil act. His tricking another power into a terrible war which undoubtedly cost said power hundreds of thousands if not millions of its own citizens, not to mention being an accessory to Garak's murders, is an evil act. These are also some of Star Trek's highest points.

"What profit it a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?" It's not about his profit. Perhaps losing his soul is the price he must pay to save others. Perhaps he has to break the principles so that others can live by them, the keyword being live. That's the price Sisko and Ross both pay.
slawton wrote:Have you seen Starblazers/Space Battleship Yamato? The mighty Wave Motion Gun is able to obliterate entire space fleets and/or gigantic space objects. May not be tactically practical, but is awesomely cool! How about the Death Star - how much can the mega-laser be aimed (it sure takes a lot of work to align that beast!)?
The DS2 had a fair degree of aiming capability. I wonder if the Wolf could maneuver while firing and, in essence, drag the beam across a target.

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:28 am

WarpNein wrote:
Sometimes the good guy code doesn't work, and hard men must do evil things. Sisko's poisoning of Solosos III is an evil act. His tricking another power into a terrible war which undoubtedly cost said power hundreds of thousands if not millions of its own citizens, not to mention being an accessory to Garak's murders, is an evil act. These are also some of Star Trek's highest points.
I much disagree, we cannot uphold principles and discard them when they are inconvenient. It might have been good drama, but it was not the Best of Trek, perhaps the lowest moment they had.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:40 pm

norules.jpg
norules.jpg (7.91 KiB) Viewed 454 times
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Vahmp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:21 am

Tesral wrote:Not to harsh on your build dude. But the concept has some Wolf sized holes.

I read the story. It has appropriate stupidity all over it.

Why are you building a...thing...that is an extinction danger to any planet it gets near?
Why are you using contractors that are not even Federation Members on a Top Secret project? Are background checks no longer a thing in the 24th century?
Considering the ranges in space battle why are you building a weapon that you must aim the ship to aim the gun? Didn't that go out of fashion with the USS Vesuvius? All a Borg cube need do is a drunk walk approach and the Wolf could never target it.

Anyone with half a brain can see "Bad Idea" written all over this thing.

And once again we see a Starfleet that is tiny compared to the Federation itself. I think I made a pretty good argument for a 40,000 ship Starfleet. The fact is many writers think too small.

The knowledge exchange went both ways. Picard demonstrated in First Contact he knows how to destroy a Borg cube. No Wolf needed.
Anyways.....
As the old saying goes.

To each his own.

I think, you've made your point, perfectly clear.
I'll finish this debate here with: Let's just agree to disagree.

Thanks for your input.
Laterz...
Vahmp

Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Vahmp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:27 am

WarpNein wrote:
Vahmp wrote:I, personally, like the stories (canon and non-canon) of Sec-31.
Actually, I like villains. So much so that all my Cosplays (yes, I do Costuming. hahaha) are all of villains.
Villains are the most interesting characters. Aside from being the primary drivers of the plot, well crafted villains often hold up mirrors to protagonists and expose weaknesses in the prevailing moral assumptions on which said protagonists operate, which is why I love Section 31. All the high-minded idealism of Doctor Bashir is only possible because of Sloan's and 31's unflinching ruthlessness. He needs Sloan on that wall.

Right! Exactly how I see it. :D :P ;) :lol:
And oh by the way Vahmp, you could damn near double for Christopher Lee.
Yeah.... I've been told that before. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Laterz...
Vahmp

Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Vahmp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:29 am

slawton wrote:Have you seen Starblazers/Space Battleship Yamato? The mighty Wave Motion Gun is able to obliterate entire space fleets and/or gigantic space objects. May not be tactically practical, but is awesomely cool! How about the Death Star - how much can the mega-laser be aimed (it sure takes a lot of work to align that beast!)?
:goodpost:
Laterz...
Vahmp

Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Vahmp » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:33 am

slawton wrote:norules.jpg
I agree!
Laterz...
Vahmp