AMT "Ships of the Line" 1/2500 Reliant Review

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: AMT "Ships of the Line" 1/2500 Reliant Review

Post by slawton »

Is this identical to the 1/2500 Motion Pictures Reliant (same parts & decals but pre-painted with decals applied with the new display stand and trading card)?

Why am I asking? I have the Motion Pictures Reliant, but haven't finished painting or adding decals. This kit's plastic is white, but I'd like to paint it gray-er to tone down the aztec-ing. My only worry is the decals. I've heard about how thick they are and I'm concerned that there is a white layer that will go on with the decal (so a gray coat of paint would obviously clash with the decal's white layer). The kit you are reviewing looks gray-er, so I'm questioning what had been used in creating this new kit so I could either proceed confidently with the Motion Pictures Reliant or buy the new kit.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

patrickivan wrote:It looks pretty neat. Did you measure to see if the scale was accurate? Those tiny decals though- ugh.
Not yet. I guess I better do something about that...I'll get back to you.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

slawton wrote:Is this identical to the 1/2500 Motion Pictures Reliant (same parts & decals but pre-painted with decals applied with the new display stand and trading card)?

Why am I asking? I have the Motion Pictures Reliant, but haven't finished painting or adding decals. This kit's plastic is white, but I'd like to paint it gray-er to tone down the aztec-ing. My only worry is the decals. I've heard about how thick they are and I'm concerned that there is a white layer that will go on with the decal (so a gray coat of paint would obviously clash with the decal's white layer). The kit you are reviewing looks gray-er, so I'm questioning what had been used in creating this new kit so I could either proceed confidently with the Motion Pictures Reliant or buy the new kit.
As near as I can ascertain- it is the Wrath of Khan Reliant. (Pre-Kirked Damage). There is the small sheet of decals that comes with the kit- but it's for the rim of the ship and covers up the seam that runs along the ships circumference. If you decided to paint it- you'd be covering up the aztecking that comes pre-painted onto the dorsal and ventral surfaces.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: AMT Ships of the Line, Ship #3 Series 1. Kit Review.

Post by Xen »

DefiantClient wrote:Just curious, is this kit out currently or is this a preview along with a review? I prefer to shop at my local store, but they tend to get things in a little late unless I order them myself. :( They're usually good at getting one or two new kits in but they tend to get snatched up quick.
The 1/2500 SOTL range is out in stores now, so this is a post-release review. We usually preview R2 kits, weeks before the retail launch. However, with the "changing of the guard", this latest batch of samples was sent out at the 11th hour.

I'm not sure why we only got one for each scale as it would've been nice to compare with the others. Something for me to bug R2 about. :innocent:
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

patrickivan wrote:It looks pretty neat. Did you measure to see if the scale was accurate? Those tiny decals though- ugh.
Checking with the stats online for the Reliant; 278 meters (27,800 centimeters) with an overall length of the kit (10.16 cm) I come up with a scale of: 1/2736.
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Moongrim wrote:
Checking with the stats online for the Reliant; 278 meters (27,800 centimeters) with an overall length of the kit (10.16 cm) I come up with a scale of: 1/2736.
For what it's worth, I started putting together my Cadet Series Enterprises- in comparison with this, they're of the same size.

So it could very well be that my math is off.
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Ventral view of the primary hull- enjoy the eye candy.
Macro 7 (800x450).jpg
And here- we see how NOT to apply a set of supplied decals. In this instance- I applied on the flanks and smoothed it down to the front. Nice front gap as a result.
Close up view
Close up view
My apologies if this is jumping around, I'm still experimenting and figuring out how to attach these files.
Last edited by Moongrim on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Macro 2 (800x450).jpg
On this one- you can see the VERY FINE detail printed directly onto the ship. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. 8-)
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Macro 3 (800x450).jpg
Aft View- close up. That's some fine detail work on behalf of Polar LIghts.
- J.L.Picard.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Macro 4 (800x450).jpg
Another dorsal frame shot. I say it's hard to believe it's a 1/2500 scale kit.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “1/2500”