The Yeager, Elkins, and Intrebula.

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

The Yeager, Elkins, and Intrebula.

Post by Del »

Now that I'm getting back into modelbuilding, I'm gonna see what progress I can make on these two kitbashes. I started them over 5 years ago, and actually finished their sibling, the USS Yeager. I used the Hallmark Voyager ornament as the base ship. I did a lot of my research on the DS9TM Kitbashes with reference photos from Ex Astris Scientia https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ds9tm.htm

The Elkins. The pylons came from the Hallmark Runabout ornament, the nacelles are from the Johnny Lightning Reliant, and the fighter hull is a 1/144 scale F-14 Tomcat.

The Intrebula. I saw someone a few years ago doing this Intrepid/Nebula combo in a larger scale, and thought it would be perfect for my 2500 fleet. The backstory on the boxy Hallmark nacelles is that they are shielded to prevent them from disrupting the operation of the sensor pod. The sensor pod is a piece from a toy of Darth Maul's ship.

The Yeager. Believe it or not, these are the original, boxy looking Hallmark nacelles. I carefully sanded them down to the correct shape. The Maquis Raider hull is from the Voyager 3-piece set.

I have no idea what the ventral side paint scheme looked like, so I just guessed.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: The Yeager, Elkins, and Intrebula.

Post by Shark »

Those look great! Inspired idea using the Voyager ornaments; I've been trying to get together the parts to build a 'studio scale' Elkins with no luck. Though, I might someday build a Yeager using your method.
Gmeister
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Gmeister »

Very nice in deed fine work :)
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

Ooooh, those are nice. I really like the Intrebula. I hope you get to paint that soon. :)
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

Thanks guys! I just ordered all of my model building supplies the other night. The last time I had paint, glue, and putty, was when I was stationed in Germany. I moved back to the 'States 3 years ago with the intention of diving right in. My wife even allowed me to have a whole room just for modelbuilding. :D But the Army kinda kept me busy, so now that I'm retired, it's time to have fun again!!

These 2 will be the first that I'll be prepping for paint. Not sure yet what to use as a registration# and name for the Intrebula. I might name it after my fallen commander and use the date of his death, USS Dicenzo NCC-52506. He may have been an Infantry officer, but his passion was to teach history. The Intrebula would be a science/intelligence vessel, so that might work. I'm not sure yet.
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

LOVE THOSE!
I also used the old Voyager Hallmark ornament for my Elkins and Yeager builds- SO much cheaper than buying kits and really, I'd feel awful chopping up the OS Voyager for a Yeager!

I built the first 2500th Elkins ten million years ago and still love this design for no reason I can articulate....

Anything I can do to assist you, Del, just ask! On my Elkins, I added the pull tab from a can of air to serve as a Voyager-like landing pad, then added the Voyager decal to it. Really brings the rear of the design together in my eyes. I also added some (dark orange painted) greebles to the front of the deflectors to give them a more TNG-era technology look.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

I thought the landing pad was an add-on, and thanks for sharing where you got it. I like it because it makes sense for it to be there, but I think I may want to try to get it as close to the studio model as possible, without going insane. I obsessed over the Yeager for quite awhile, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

I think your Yeager looks perfect for the studio model match- I just go with what would look cool for the "onscreen look"- that's why I swapped the blue on the Elkins for grey.
Looking back though, I wish I'd filled in the grid lines...whatever. I'm sure not doing it now, brother!
Sleepymarine
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Sleepymarine »

I started a bash of an Elkins a few years back. Never got around to fully finishing it (life, work, kid, etc.)
I used the Hallmark Voyager Saucer, a 1/144 F-14 tomcat, and the Nacelles from a Furuta Reliant...
I decided to try to make it fit as a more polished design rather than make it 100% accurate to what was on screen.
-I tried to smooth out the rear more and gave it a set of clamshell shuttle bay doors.
-Another change i made was to the nacelles, I cut the backs smooth and added some wave option vents, and I cut the fronts at an angle and and tried to shape them more like the Prometheus or Equinox style nacelles but upside-down.

I just pulled it out of storage about a month ago and have been looking at it off and on trying to motivate myself to finish it...

The photos in the album linked below show it as it was about 5+ years ago, the only difference is the mods to the nacelles (which i will try to get photos of...)
https://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/6209791
caisson2delta
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by caisson2delta »

Those are some nice looking designs. Really good work on them.

Return to “1/2500”