Klingon B'rel class BoP help

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
Markus
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Re: Klingon B'rel class BoP help

Post by Markus » Sat May 04, 2019 2:29 pm

The base paint on the D5 is Tamiya XF-71 Cockpit Green, and the raised panels are Tamiya XF-21 Sky. This is inverted from the CGI model paint scheme, with the lighter color on the raised panels. Since I'm thinking the D5 doesn't usually go through planetary atmospheres, and mine is the showroom fresh IKV Mirror from "The Final Reflection" novel, the paint is clean and unweathered.

The Birds of Prey also use Tamiya XF-71 as the base color, but they have darker custom mixed greens as highlights, as well as multiple washes of Vallejo greens and olives and moderate weathering.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sat May 04, 2019 3:51 pm

Markus wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:29 pm
The base paint on the D5 is Tamiya XF-71 Cockpit Green, and the raised panels are Tamiya XF-21 Sky. This is inverted from the CGI model paint scheme, with the lighter color on the raised panels. Since I'm thinking the D5 doesn't usually go through planetary atmospheres, and mine is the showroom fresh IKV Mirror from "The Final Reflection" novel, the paint is clean and unweathered.

The Birds of Prey also use Tamiya XF-71 as the base color, but they have darker custom mixed greens as highlights, as well as multiple washes of Vallejo greens and olives and moderate weathering.
Very cool! Thanks for that, I really enjoy the colors you picked. I'm in the process of painting my two little birds now, they're getting their feathers today and then I'll tone back with some base coat tonight. I built both with wings down, and I don't regret that decision since my K'vort is wings up, but.....I may eventually get a THIRD 2500 bird from Federation Models to build with wings up. Quite sure Tracy won't mind one bit. :lol:

Markus

Post by Markus » Sat May 04, 2019 6:02 pm

novahobbies wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 3:51 pm
I may eventually get a THIRD 2500 bird from Federation MOdels to build with wings up. Quite sure Tracy won't mind one bit. :lol:
And a fourth to build in landing mode, and maybe a couple of the 1/1000 birds to build as wings-up and wings-down L-42s...
:)

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sun May 05, 2019 4:06 am

Markus wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:02 pm
novahobbies wrote:
I may eventually get a THIRD 2500 bird from Federation MOdels to build with wings up. Quite sure Tracy won't mind one bit. :lol:
And a fourth to build in landing mode, and maybe a couple of the 1/1000 birds to build as wings-up and wings-down L-42s...
Hahahaha well maybe not that far...after all like I said I do have two BOPS from old adversary sets and one is pretty well corrected, so that's definitely going to become a landed version.
I've been working all day on my two B'rels (instead of my Neghvar like I should have been doing!) and much of the painting and weathering is now done. I'll post the progress pics on this thread if it's okay with the OP

PopeTerry
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by PopeTerry » Sun May 05, 2019 12:46 pm

novahobbies wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:06 am
Markus wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:02 pm
novahobbies wrote:
Hahahaha well maybe not that far...after all like I said I do have two BOPS from old adversary sets and one is pretty well corrected, so that's definitely going to become a landed version.
I've been working all day on my two B'rels (instead of my Neghvar like I should have been doing!) and much of the painting and weathering is now done. I'll post the progress pics on this thread if it's okay with the OP
Yeah that's cool with me, would be interested to see how your B'rels are coming along.

PopeTerry
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by PopeTerry » Sun May 05, 2019 12:55 pm

Many thanks for all the info guys, you've all been a huge help. Looks like I'll be getting my B'rels from federation models sometime.

Very nice looking models too, I can only hope mine turn out half as good as some posted in this thread.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Mon May 06, 2019 5:06 pm

I decided to do a review log, but here's a couple shots of my finished birds! I need to get some good stands for them to display individually.

And, maybe here's how we got so many BoPs in Deep Space Nine?? :lol:

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Mon May 06, 2019 5:08 pm

And here's the full review of the Federation Models "1/2500" scale BOP.

BOP REVIEW

Hope that helps some people. I really enjoyed this kit. NOW...back to the Negh'var I go!

Markus

Post by Markus » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:49 pm

I think I mentioned a while ago that I converted my Federation Models little BoP into a 1/1400 HMS Bounty with landing gear out. Even though I finished it many months ago, here's a mini build log anyway. I don't have enough photos and posts queued up for its own thread, so I'll just add to this one, and hope it's still on topic.

IMG_5066.JPG

Lower main hull hollowed out to make the landing gear bays. Main gear leg, shock struts, and actuator arms are all one continuous length of .022" brass rod bent to shape, for strength. To give the illusion that they're separate linkages, I glued styrene greebles to the bends to represent joints. The landing gear door braces are .010" brass rod.

IMG_5067.JPG

The landing pads and feet are built up with styrene strips. My alignment jig is 1/3 of a fake credit card (from a certain company who wants very badly to be my cable provider but is not getting it) with double sided tape on it, to give a sense of scale.

IMG_5069.jpg

The landing gear doors are made out of heavy duty barbecue foil that I burnished over the original hull bottom to take its shape, before I hollowed out the bays. Then I filled the inside surface of the foil doors with liquid resin for strength and attached them to the wire door braces.

IMG_5072.JPG

Here are all the landing gear components in place and positioned at the proper angle. The landing gear bays didn't need to be deep enough to go all the way through, but I found it easier to file and square the shape of the bay if I cut all the way through. To fill the extra space and provide bracing against the upper hull for strength, I used a previous set of feet that I had made too small.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:45 pm

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Return to “1/1400”