1/1400 K'vort class big BOP DONE, PIC HEAVY

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

1/1400 K'vort class big BOP DONE, PIC HEAVY

Post by novahobbies » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:34 pm

I needed a cleanser after all those Federation ships, so I decided to pull out some Klingons and decide what to do next. Klingon ships are awesome, they're a painter's drean and there's honestly not really any WRONG way to paint them (unless you paint them in pastel pink and blue tribble colors, maybe?)

So first.....decisions: I pulled all my TNG Klingons out to decide what to do. Apparently I have a bad habit of priming my Klingon ships in a green color, decide I don't like the base coat, then box them up to go do something else. :oops:

From left to right here you can see the WARP models 9 inch long BOP in resin, an old AMT Vor'cha, the Nova Hobbies Negh'var in 1/1400 scale, and the old smaller Macro Trek model of the same ship that's been modified slightly.
I decided to go with the WARP models BOP. I was happy with the base coat, and the great thing about this kit is you can model it in 1/1400 scale as the K'vort class bigger bird of prey from TNG and it scales out almost perfectly to 320 meters.

Since I didn't need to do anything with the base coat, I just went in and started gettin' busy with the paneling. The wings are airbrushed in MM Insignia Red, and I used Olive Drab, Interior Green, Green Zinc Chromate, and a slightly darkened Pale Green to build up panel details.

Once the basic paneling was done, I went back with super light misting coats of the base coat to blend the panels in, then I grabbed some Tamiya smoke and started darkening a few places around the engine area. I also added some streaks to the wings to make it look like this big bird has spent a few too many times flying into atmo.

Once that was done, I kept up some more layering with the smoke and started in some dark green washes in areas by the engines.

And then I broke out the browns and oranges and started getting some rust tones in. Not a lot, but I felt like the wing baffles needed a rust drybrush, as well as a few panels and gun areas. The rust tones really help tie it together IMO

That's where I left it off on Tuesday evening. I'll go back with some more rust, and next I need to add the red cloaking generator and the lower winglets on the bottom aft of the hull. This ship will get a TNG style base with a klingon version of a MSD view or something, I think. More to come!
You can see the whole album with a couple extra photos here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskQwd41H
Last edited by novahobbies on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: 1/1400 K'vort class big BOP

Post by trekriffic » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:19 am

Yeah man that’s the stuff right there. Loves me some Weathering!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wavingyellow:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:47 am

Nice build! :klingon:

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:17 pm

Very detailed and lovely looking.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Thank you! She's finished. I couldn't keep away from the weathering, kept going back and adding *just a little bit more* here and there. I do really enjoy the weathering process for Klingon ships. Even up till the wee hours of this morning, I was sitting there with my Tamiya weathering pastels accenting some of the streaking and rust areas. The stand is done and looks good, so....probably try to get final photos tonight or tomorrow.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm

Here's some shots BEFORE the last weathering. Next set of photos will be the final....

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:58 am

And we're DONE! This was a pretty fast build -- basically just a week -- very much in part because most of the kit was already assembled and the base coat was laid down a long time ago. This was a totally relaxing way to decompress after all the myriad decals from the last few models. Anyway, I digress.

Final assembly of the kit included gluing on the two lower winglets on the aft of the lower hull as well as the cloaking generator ring on the bridge area. I added a little detail on the cloaking ring, since the model part was essentially a featureless bent rod of metal, by scribing in a few lines here and there around the part. I painted the cloaking ring insignia red, and then I went in with layers of Tamiya smoke....which I just wasn't happy with....and then again with light mist coats of a darkened bae coat to blend the ring in to the ship.....which made all the difference to me. Final weathering over the whole ships was accomplished with more rust washes and airbrushes of smoke, followed by a joyful evening of playing with my Tamiya makeup pastels weathering kit (which is an AWESOME set, if you don't have it you're missing out!!)

I'm still Digressing. Sorry. ON TO FINAL PICS:

Top of the ship:

Bottom of the ship:

You can figure the rest of these out:

And a few more pics can be found on the album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskQwd41H

I loved this model so much, I decided I needed to have a couple 1/1400 scale B'rel class Birds of Prey to go along with it. I've placed an order to Federation Models to get a couple resin "1/2500 scale" Birds, which as it happens are nearly identical in size, though far superior in detail, to the old Ertl BOP from the Adversary set to use for my B'rels. Can't wait to see how those look. For now, though, I'll move on to my next project - the 1/1400 Nova Hobbies Negh'var. :D

Markus
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Re: 1/1400 K'vort class big BOP DONE, PIC HEAVY

Post by Markus » Sat May 04, 2019 5:53 pm

This build looks amazing! I didn't know this kit existed until you mentioned it, but yes, it IS perfect as a 1/1400 K'vort. The level of detail, your paint colors, the weathering, everything about it is perfect!

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Markus wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:53 pm
This build looks amazing! I didn't know this kit existed until you mentioned it, but yes, it IS perfect as a 1/1400 K'vort. The level of detail, your paint colors, the weathering, everything about it is perfect!
Thank you! Gotta say, this is one I REALLY enjoyed building. It was a ton of fun.

Markus

Post by Markus » Tue May 28, 2019 3:40 pm

Is it safe to assume the Warp Models 9" BoP is out of production and never to be seen again? I'm wondering if the upcoming Eaglemoss XL Bird of Prey might be similar in size, and could also be used as a starting point for a 1/1400 K'vort.

Return to “1/1400”