1/1400 Scale Friggin' Frigate Fleet combo build DONE, PIC HEAVY

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

1/1400 Scale Friggin' Frigate Fleet combo build DONE, PIC HEAVY

Post by novahobbies » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:33 pm

It's been a heck of a year in 2018, and I know I haven't posted much beyond the occasional comments on some awesome builds I see in here. We've had some massive family changes in the Novahobbies home base -- MiL had some life-changing medical issues that necessitated her moving in with us so we can care for her full time, and an extended nephew & his daughter officially moved in with us as well (we've been caring for the daughter for some time) so...that unexpected influx of new humans meant the Wife and I basically came home from a great vacation in early 2018 and immediately started househunting. I'll spare you the details, suffice it to say many stars aligned and we're now settled in a larger house that fits all the craziness......plus it has a garage for me to work in and it's merely 5 minutes from my office. Nice little bonus, that.
All the stress and mental fatigue aside, I think it's a good thing on the whole. And these past few months have seen the model stash finally being unpacked, with kits back on the workbench! I recently finished a 1/1400 scale Steamrunner and Akira to replace old ones I got rid of years ago, and I'm currently on a major TMP era kick with a few different models in various stages of construction. First up (closest to being finished) are a few frigate type vessels -- the Bozeman, Saratoga, Knox, and Surya types:
frigginfamily1.jpg
frigginfamily1.jpg (65.64 KiB) Viewed 630 times
The Bozeman is a Multiverse Models conversion for the Starcrafts Miranda. You have to do a little bodywork to get the parts to fit, but just follow the directions (they're very comprehensive), go slow, and you'll be fine. The base kit for my copy was the old Reliant I built back in the late 90's when the ship was first released. It was rough (REALLY rough) from the years, and it was definitely time to retire her and turn her into something new.
Soyuz1.jpg
Soyuz1.jpg (110.22 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Soyuz2.jpg
Soyuz2.jpg (93.5 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Soyuz3.jpg
Soyuz4.jpg
Soyuz5.jpg
Soyuz5.jpg (98.47 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Soyuz6.jpg
Soyuz6.jpg (113.31 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Soyuz7.jpg
Soyuz7.jpg (67.04 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Soyuz8.jpg
Soyuz8.jpg (68.6 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Test fitting the guns:
Soyuz9.jpg
Soyuz10.jpg
The Surya isn't really a "kit," since it's a one piece Shapeways model. But you will have to do a metric ton of sanding to get it down to display standards. Here is mine w the base coat applied; this is after literal weeks of sanding. Rough but worth it if you want to add something different to your TOS era!
20190106_183149.jpg
20190106_183149.jpg (100.23 KiB) Viewed 630 times
The next two are basically one-off models. I was gifted with some printed parts to make the Saratoga, but I needed to make a mold to get multiples of the sensor bits....also the owner of the original parts is probably going to want them back. So after a very long hiatus, I found myself at the workbench slingin' rubber and resin once more! Molds were made for personal purposes only, naturally.
Saratogamold.jpg
Saratogamold.jpg (53.25 KiB) Viewed 630 times
The spires for the Saratoga at this scale are INCREDIBLY tiny. And easy to break. Getting them out of the mold was a massive chore, and cleaning them is probably going to be a nightmare.
Saratogaspires.jpg
The rest of the "kit" is pretty straightforward.
Saratoga1.jpg
Saratoga1.jpg (106.46 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Saratoga2.jpg
Saratoga2.jpg (97.67 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Saratoga3.jpg
Saratoga3.jpg (91.15 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Saratoga4.jpg
Saratoga4.jpg (96.14 KiB) Viewed 630 times
FrigateConstruction.jpg
The last one is a model that has been YEARS in the making. I mean more than a decade. Sheesh. The Knox class is a kitbash I started back in 2006 (I think!) and has been rattling around the spares box collecting dust. I decided that 2018 was the year to finally finish this bad girl up. She got new engine pylons, some clean up on her shuttlebay greeblie areas, and a nice coat of silicone rubber. I figured it was a good idea to mold this one since I know I'm going to want at least two: one for a Knox class, and one for an Athabasca class when the Belknap hull is done (more on that later).
Knoxmold1.jpg
Knoxmold1.jpg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Knoxmold2.jpg
Knoxcompare.jpg
Knoxcompare.jpg (105.84 KiB) Viewed 630 times
So anyway....these are some of the ones that will get finished in the first half of 2019. Time to start printing wallpaper decals!
frigatebasecoat.jpg
frigatebasecoat.jpg (112.76 KiB) Viewed 630 times
FrigateDetails1.jpg
FrigateDetails1.jpg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Last edited by novahobbies on Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr_Corsa
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: 1/1400 Scale Friggin' Frigate Fleet combo build

Post by Dr_Corsa » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi!

Nice ship collection. For all others: in Germany is an seller with a Saratoga conversion. It's a 3D printed kit but very well and high quality. Decals from JT Graphics are included. For I believe 35 €. I got this some mounts ago...for all my Mirada-family wishes I need aprox 6-7 starcrafts kits...well...

www.starship-models.de

Greeting,
Michael
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Hahahahaha yes I've collected a few of the Starcrafts kits over the years for kitbashing. Which is a good thing, too...I still have an Endurance class frigate conversion to do (got the Endurance parts from Shapeways). And I have a good number of Cruiser conversions that are in the works as well, including a Belknap and an Indomitable class that all needed Starcrafts parts.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Little more work done last night. Got the lower gray panels airbrushed
masked off:
FrigateUnder1.jpg
airbrushing:
FrigateUnder2.jpg
And masking tape off:
FrigateUnder3.jpg
FrigateUnder4.jpg
Damn blue tape took some of the base paint off of the Knox. I'll respray the base when the gray dries completely.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Just a laugh.....I found a photo of the knox "master" from October of 2007.....so, yeah, I'd say it's more than past time to finish that model. :lol: Sitting next to the original Reliant model that just got stripped and disassembled to become the Soyuz.
knox2.jpg
knox2.jpg (100.67 KiB) Viewed 575 times
Compared to the Brattain that was finished in 2017/2018:
20180124_100743.jpg
15.jpg
Yeah. That looks better.

Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:37 am

Love them.

Really nice to see all of these variants, especially in 1:1400 scale. Thanks for sharing.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:47 pm

Some more in-progress pics, this time of the Surya class. She's going to be dressed as the USS Oberon when completed.
sury1.jpg
sury2.jpg
sury3.jpg
I'm going to repaint the aft nacelle endcaps. WAAAAY to dark for my liking, definitely not in scale. I also still have some smoothing and polishing to do on the paint job, and a little touch-up here and there of the base coat (there's a frikkin' fingerprint on the nacelle I didn't notice until I took these pics!), but she is essentially ready for her final details and then decaling. When I built my Starcrafts TOS Tug, I drew up decals of the saucer grid detail and rust ring, and I intend to use those decals for this build as well. I just need to decide if I want to do the extended hull grid as more decals, or simply pencil them in. Decals would match but invite the dreaded silvering, pencil would be much easier but might not match like I want. Guess we'll have to experiment and find out.

Oh, here's the Ptolemy class USS Egeus for reference.

Father Cool
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Father Cool » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:53 pm

novahobbies wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:55 pm
Just a laugh.....I found a photo of the knox "master" from October of 2007.....so, yeah, I'd say it's more than past time to finish that model. :lol: Sitting next to the original Reliant model that just got stripped and disassembled to become the Soyuz.
knox2.jpg

Compared to the Brattain that was finished in 2017/2018:
20180124_100743.jpg
15.jpg
Yeah. That looks better.
This looks great. I love the miranda class.

1:1400 is becoming my standard scale I think. I love 1:350 but the models are so big I have nowhere to put them. I am about to start a 1:1400 enterprise E so I think all of my future builds will be in scale to that.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:09 pm

I'll always be a 1/1400th scale modeler, because the bulk of my collection is in that scale. 1/1000 is great of course, so I collect some kits that I can't get in 1400 in 1K.
I'll be honest, I love the big 350th stuff. I have the TOS-E, the TMP-E, the Reliant, KBOP, and K'tinga in reserves to build in the big scale.....but like you said it really comes down to space requirements and spousal approval. While *I personally* don't have an issue with models in every room, the wife has a couple reservations on that subject. So we find a balance, and part of that balance may mean limiting what kits are on display at any particular time.
That being said, I have a dream of turning the guest room into my personal little media room in a couple years. Here's a scale sketch of what I'm hoping to accomplish -- the image you see here is my 55" 3d tv and the 1/350 scale trek models plus the 1/144 Moebius Discovery:
pipedream.jpg

Father Cool
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Father Cool » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:20 am

I like it. No such luck for me though. There is nowhere really that I can display models that size and keep them out of the danger of animals and kids!

I have my 1:350 Ent on a custom shelf over my computer desk. Theres a couple of shelves to the side that house my defiant and a couple of eaglemoss ships at the mo. I will upgrade those to my 1:1400 E when its done though.

Return to “1/1400”