Dingbat's Ambassador

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
Dingbat
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Re: Dingbat's Ambassador

Post by Dingbat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:10 pm

Mophius: I havent tried that that yet, but I will. Maybe dip the end that would be epoxied to the led into Tamyia cler red or green a couple of times to get a good coat? Might be just the ticket!

Dingbat

Post by Dingbat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi all!
I haven't been idle on this project, I promise! Getting lots of overtime at the salt mine, but I've been able to get a little time in here and there. Still playing with the nav lights made from fiberoptic strands and actually had some sucess(for a change).
20180307_185148.jpg
I removed the coating on the red and green bow/gun sight flourecent fibers by scraping it off with a #11 blade. This stuff seemed to melt with the fiber's core when I bloomed the end and made a ring around the base of the dome. It didnt look bad, hardley even noticeable, but didnt allow the light to be seen from the side. In order to bloom the tip I held the tip nearly parrellel with a lighter and made a surprisingly neat lens. Then used 400 grit sand paper to difuse the dome (the way you would diffuse an led).

Ooo and before everyone asks "Whats up with this dudes hands? Wash often?" I also put the first coat of light blocking black primer. :? Im a fairly clean person, I swear.

Dingbat

Post by Dingbat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:35 pm

I did something else kinda fun too.
I have some basic electric components(resistors, leds, a breadboard), but not much else. So just for fun I ordered a 2lb. grab bag of "stuff" from Jameco Electronics. I had a good time sorting through to see what was in there and play "what is this and how can I use it?"! Took me right back to highschool electronics class.
Good times!

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Dingbat wrote:Ooo and before everyone asks "Whats up with this dudes hands? Wash often?" I also put the first coat of light blocking black primer. :? Im a fairly clean person, I swear.
And here I thought you had just changed the oil in your car :lol:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:42 am

Why did you need to light block your fingers? :mrgreen:

Dingbat

Post by Dingbat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:57 am

Yeah....hind sight being 20-20 and all, it wouldnt have hurt anything to wear some nitrile gloves. I only have 2 or 3 boxes! Spray paint isnt toxic though, right?
At least I got some on the model...

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:43 pm

Dingbat wrote:...I swear.
Often, or just on special occasions?! :lol:

JK!

Looking good, Ding!

Keep going!

Steve

Dingbat

Post by Dingbat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:42 am

Hey everyone!
Its been a while since the last update, but real life has been pretty hectic the last couple of days and several weeks leading up to them: my wife gave birth to our third son. I dont think my bench time will be suffer too much once we get back to the swing of things. If anything it may improve: the basement man-room will become a nice quiet retreat for my two older boys and myself.

In between helping where I can (changing diapers) I applied the last coats of light blocking black and reflective white to the inside of the primary and secondary hull halfs and to the nacell tops and bottoms. After they cured for a couple of days I glued the nacell bottoms to the pylons
20180408_201953.jpg
I also glued the two secondary hull halfs together and began sanding and filling seams
20180408_202138.jpg
20180408_202035.jpg
The deflecter dish got some loven' too
20180408_183749.jpg
Since Im not making the E-C, I chose to use the flatter dish. I started by trimming the larger of the two clocking tabs off and wenrt to town with the sand paper trying to even everything out. The quality of the casting on both of the deflecters sucks. The areas that dont look sanded by the edges are large sink marks. I think Ill try filling them with slow drying epoxy. It cant be much worse than what they are now, right? Those DLM parts are looking better and better......

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Ding, congrats on the new addition!!

Your build is looking good!

For the engines, are you going to use SMDs?

Keep going!!

Dingbat

Post by Dingbat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Hey Msgt- Thanks!
MSgtUSAFRet wrote: For the engines, are you going to use SMDs?
For the impulse engines Im planning on a single red 3mm led in a light box. I have it all made up on the little incert that pops into the secondary hull. After seeing how you did yours in a more conical shape, I may test light the neck to be sure it doesnt block any windows before I glue it in though.

Return to “1/1400”