Dingbat's Ambassador

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: Dingbat's Ambassador

Post by mophius » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 pm

I think i got it

When viewing the picture on the top left (in mobile view anyway) is a drop down for the link code - change this to 'bbcode' and then copy and paste the link in the box.

To make a clickable picture put the dropdown to 'linked bbcode' and copy and paste that link.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Dingbat
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by Dingbat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:09 am

...uuhhh
20180222_210530.jpg
Qapla'!

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:29 pm

Have you thought about using colored FO for the marker lights? VERY bright....
Here's what it looks like in plain day. This kind of FO is for bowsights, and it tends to pick up ambient light along its length.
20180224_142501-01.jpeg
And here it is with a light source.
20180224_142526-01.jpeg

Dingbat

Post by Dingbat » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:55 am

Hey Nova-
I actually bought some green and red a while back. I think they look great and would be easy to use: just epoxy them to the white leds in the sauser. Im having trouble with blooming the ends so that the "ball" glows evenly on the sides though. They look awsome head on, but dont glow from any other angle. Maybe they are a diffrent type of plastic than regular clear? Coated with something diffrent? I dunno.
I also found these on ebay:
20180224_165356.jpg
They seem to be regular clear fibers with a dye aplied to the outside. I guess they are supposed to absorb the light from the sides and glow that color at the end?
They dont work for crap though.

Have you tried the florecent green you showed? Any sucess?

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:52 pm

I have not yet tried to bloom mine, no. But I'll be returning to my own 3-year project soon (ish), the USA Ares, and I'm going to see how this looks in that project!

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:05 pm

Dingbat, with the rest of the guys here, I am so in love with your windows! Is it wrong to love and be envious at the same time?! :lol:

I'm finding the FO to be troublesome, too. If I can't get a colored bulb to work, I have thought of painting the ends with clear green or red; respectfully.

Still kinda planning my light schema as I picked up a flasher kit from TenaControls to install in mine.

Glad to see you got the IMG thing worked out!

Keep going! Stay strong! Steady as she goes!

Steve

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:25 pm

Just to kill a few cat girls. The red and green lights should respectively only be visible from the port and starboard.

The idea being that in the dead of pitch dark night you can see a ship's lights and know which way they are facing.

Should there be two more light in starships, a dorsal and ventral lights so you know the way you are oriented to that ship?

A guide for smaller boats as an example.
Navigation-lights-1.jpg
Navigation-lights-1.jpg (76.58 KiB) Viewed 662 times
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:23 pm

IIRC, in order to get the FO to bloom, it can't be placed directly on the heat source. It should be close to the source but not that close. I know I'm being overly specific ( :P ), but I've never tried it. It's something I remember reading from another lighting guru
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Dingbat

Post by Dingbat » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Tesral: I always thought of the nav lights on a starship were closer to aircraft nav lights rather than ships. Boats only have one plane of coureses to signal whereas a starship has infanite courses. Either way though seeing both red and green lights at the same time in relation to the "constant on" white would tell you the relative course of the ship in relation to your ship.....Im puting waaaayyy too much thought into this.

El Gato: I had some sucess with the .5mm clear at making a nice balled lens. I figure i can countersink the ball a little into the sauser and get a pretty good dome shape. Even the fluorescent red and green fibers(.75mm) melt into a good shape, they just dont iluminate the same as the clear. Tonight I want to try and sand the fiber before I bloom it to see if its the coating. Or maybe sand the bloomed end as you would to difuse an led.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Have you tried colouring the light source end to transmit the colour through the strand?
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Return to “1/1400”