1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
Dingbat
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

Post by Dingbat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:20 pm

2270516_1.jpg
2270516_1.jpg (49.76 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Are not many of us.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Day All!

Apologies for waiting so long to post. RL threw a curve ball the last few weeks and I haven't had time to get back to the bench.

@Ding, thanks for the meme!

@Tesral, yes, many of us are! :lol:

Here are some shots I took before I had to stop.
I did a dry fit test of the lights in the nacelles. I'm glad I did as I ended up with a few dark spots in the engine. I used my original plan or three LEDs but now I think I will
use four of the blue LEDs to help with the distribution of light.

Darkspots
Image20180228_164906

Darkspots 2
Image20180301_111934

I also put in a firewall to keep the blue light from influencing the red of the Bussard collectors. There is precious little room in the nacelle for the resistors, the firewall
and the LEDs. I plan to use reflective tape on the nacelle (blue) portion of the wall to help reflect the blue back into the DLM part. I think this will light block the two
types of lights from each other. I think I can trim a little more on the bussard wall to move it a hair forward. Cement and tulip paint will be used to create a physical
barrier between the two walls.

Firewall
Image20180301_113752

For grins and giggles, I dry fitted the Bussard Collector to the Nacelle. It really diffusses the light which will negate a detail I saw on screen and I had planned to add.
I hate to waste the DLM part for the detail...hummm...may have to think that one through a bit.

With Bussard
Image20180301_111723

As spring arrives, Mrs. MSgtUSAFRet is looking at her "honey-do" list and wondering why I am working on the model rather than her castle. So the updates may be more sporadic
for a while. I will lurk and comment and post more when I can!

Till then, Thanks for looking and commenting!

Steady as she goes, Mr. Castillo!

Steve

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Very nice indeed. I happen to like that model a lot. I don't have one only because I got out of 1/1400.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Your nacelle lighting is coming along well but, I agree, you need to add another LED (or two) near the aft end to get rid of that dead spot.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 pm

kobayashimaru wrote:that is one diffuse bussard :D

quick question;
from the breadboard shot - it looks as though these are mMEDs or MED, and not 'static LED'/single-display-state LED
does that mean then that this is a color-change bussard? :D
Kobayashi,

Didn't mean to leave you out!

I tried to look up what a mMED or MED was but couldn't find anything about it. Maybe you can explain?

The breadboard shot is all of the blinkies I was intending to put on the ship. The left side are strobes and the right side are running lights. The LEDs
attached to the strobe circuit are typical LEDs and the programmed board does the strobe effect. The flashers are also typical LEDs; just blinking at a different
rate.

ALTHOUGH...

The different colored Bussard Collectors, similar to the TOS effect, would be a VERY interesting variation on this ship!

Maybe you could...?

Whaddayathink? :lol:

Steve

KevinHoggard
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by KevinHoggard » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Hi Steve,

Good to see you again. I just restarted a build after a 2 year break. I too got the TennaControl board for the Refit Nav/Strobe board. I must say I really do like it, easy to get everything like it's supposed to go.

Right now working on the 1/537 Refit (hard kit, almost gave up a couple of times), and the 18" TOS. On the shelves got the 1/500 into darkness Enterprise and the 1/1400 Enterprise D (Non Clear).

Your "C" is looking great, doing a fantastic job!!!!

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:02 am

KevinHoggard wrote:Hi Steve,

Good to see you again.

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the kind words, Kevin!
KevinHoggard wrote: Right now working on the 1/537 Refit (hard kit, almost gave up a couple of times), and the 18" TOS. On the shelves got the 1/500 into darkness Enterprise and the 1/1400 Enterprise D (Non Clear).
I would love to see the builds! Do you have them here on AST? Lemme know!

Steve

KevinHoggard
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by KevinHoggard » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Well here is a low light test on the Refit, but just had to add the C in there too hahaha

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Well...Frak!

I did what, I hope, every modeler does only once - I took a shortcut. The nacelle supports were warped and not straight. I needed to heat them up and get them into true before I began assembly. Thought I could control a heat gun rather than put it in the oven. Farglecarb!

So, I asked the Admiral if I could fund some replacement parts and received funding approval. The parts order should arrive today! Yeay!

I still have a lot of work to do on the rest of the ship. With the blinky lights now taken care of (I still have to build it!), I need to catch up with the
steady on lights. I also am working on building the light boxes for the secondary hull. I made a cone for the deflector dish and filed down the end of an LED
to help diffuse the LED cone and spread it out over the Dish.

Deflector Dish light box

Deflector Dish gluing Light box

The light test looks great, IHMO. So, I will replace the wires I have with some connectors so I can glue the peice in and quickly connect the part to power.

Deflector Dish Light Test

I also worked on the Impulse Engine light box. I had to drill out the windows and then build the box to fit against the curve of the part. If it all works out, I should have a nice glow there, too!

Building Impulse Engine Light box

Impluse Engine Light Box

I also built and tested the saucer lights. While I think the lights are pretty even in the saucer, the bridge and B/C deck look a little dark. What do you think?

Saucer lights

Saucer Light Test

One more mod - I hope - is that all the wiring I will have coming from the saucer, I think it will be easier to cut an opening in the Primary hull, which is larger than the hole
in either the saucer or the neck, and channel my wires through there. At least I can't mess up something that will be covered later :D

Huge Hole Secondary hull

Saucer cut out

Thanks, as always, for reading and commenting! Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

"Gentlemen, may the wind ever be at our backs! Stations, please."

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “1/1400”