1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
ProfArturo
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: 1/1400 AMT Enterprise-C (So it begins)

Post by ProfArturo » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Nice work, that deflector dish expecially looks great!

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:27 am

I like the direction this is going, well with small exceptions which we will not discuss further (It gets all of us) I too like the deflector. Handsome indeed.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Dingbat
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by Dingbat » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:36 pm

The first part of your post....well...that sucks! :? Were you able to get a replacement from round 2 without buying a new kit? If so, thats awsome customer service!
The deflector dish cone and lighting look great! I may just "borrow" the idea for my own build.
She's turning out great!

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Greetings!
ProfArturo wrote:Nice work, that deflector dish expecially looks great!
Thanks, Prof!
Tesral wrote:I like the direction this is going, well with small exceptions which we will not discuss further (It gets all of us) I too like the deflector. Handsome indeed.
Thanks, Tesral! Yes, the mistake that shall not be named is taboo. :roll: Thanks for the nice words. I hope I can make it look as good as I hope!
Dingbat wrote:The first part of your post....well...that sucks! :? Were you able to get a replacement from round 2 without buying a new kit? If so, thats awsome customer service!
The deflector dish cone and lighting look great! I may just "borrow" the idea for my own build.
She's turning out great!
Ding, I did get the other kit in the mail. I didn't research whether it not Round 2 sells just parts. But, it looks like I will have an Apollo-class variant in my future! (Distant future!) :D

SO I was thinking that I will need at least 3 connectors (1 - connector for steady-on, 1 - connector for Navs, and 1 - connector for the saucer strobes) coming out of the saucer
going down through the Interconnecting Dorsal (ICD) and I figured the thin opening into the Saucer wouldn't allow enough room. So, I cut a hole in the ventral saucer; after drawing an
outline (see last post) through the deflector dish opening. I left enough space so the neck will seat properly but allow maximum space through which to pass the connectors and wires.

Saucer hole
Image20180327_165454

This is a view, looking through the deflector dish opening, into the saucer. The wires will come up through the hole in the bottom of the secondary hull and go straight into
the saucer.

Planned wiring pathway
Image20180327_165953

Now I just gotta figure out how to attach the support post. I plan to use the same length of end table lamp conduit, like I did on the Protector, to channel the wires into the
ship from the base. Right now, I am planning to mount the TenaControls flasher unit in the base for easy access, plus 2 switches.

I also made some progress on the Impulse Engine (IE) light box. I know the light is to be blue, but I want red. :) I tried the light in the box and decided it wasn't diffused
enough so I cut a channel in the back of the part and glued a 0.01mm peice of styrene in the part.

Diffusion for the Impulse Engine
Image20180327_203442

Here is a pic of the light test and proof of concept test for the light box. I am debating about whether or not to put an extra LED into it as it "might" be too dim. Dunno.
What do you think?

Lightbox and Test for Impulse Engine.
Image20180327_205314

I am getting the feeling, like I did with my TOS Romulan BoP that eventually, I will have to stop modifying the kit and start gluing things together! :D

Soon, my precious! Soon!

I think, once I get the IE done and peiced together, I will focus on getting the Primary hull done (sealed and painted) then focus on putting the rest of the ship together!

As always, thanks for reading and commenting. Hopefully I won't make anymore bone-headed mistakes - although I am not confident I won't! :D :D

Steve

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:35 pm

We do the best we can.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Dingbat

Post by Dingbat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:21 am

Funny you mention building an Apollo calss with the leftovers; I bought a second kit a while back for just that purpose! I think it may be my best option to have a Nebula style ship (my favorite) without dropping the coin on DLM's kit for the Galaxy. Someone on here has a cool conversion of one.
...man, I need to get to work on some of these kits!

The impulse engines look great with the diffuser! Cant wait for a dark room/lights on look at her.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:13 pm

Dingbat wrote: The impulse engines look great with the diffuser! Cant wait for a dark room/lights on look at her.
Me neither, Ding!

But I decided to take the diffuser out as I had lost some brightness. I tested it again with a sanded clear part and am much happier with the result.

Image20180330_080235

Not only did I take the diffuser out of the Impluse Engines, I had to rebuild the light box. The square, or, more accurately, rectangular box ended up blocking the window lights on the interconnecting dorsal. So I tried a shape that would allow more light to reach the windows.

Image20180331_183520

I will have to reapply the primer on the part as my constant handling, especially since I didn't let it cure long enough, has rubbed some of it off. *sigh* "Two steps forward..." and all that!

I did managed to get the Ventral Saucer steady on wiring harness built. I have tac it down yet and place some FO in the ends and channel the FO into the nav lights positions. But "DANG!" don't it look cool?!

Image20180401_171309

The Nav lights are definitely going to make it a Federation Starship! Woohoo!

Well, small steps build a project and I was gonna wait to post after I had made a major milestone (like a sealed and painted saucer) but couldn't wait to get your feedback.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

"Garrett, commanding Enterprise, Out!"

Steve

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Greetings, Fellow Modelers!

I spent a good chunk of time at the bench this weekend for what seems like a minor progress report. But, such is the nature of building lighted models! ;D

I decided, especially since I got the TenaControls board, that I would place a ventral and aft strobe in the secondary hull. So I marked and drilled out the holes.

The Aft FO didn't want to cooperate until I formed some bends into the fiber; but I took a picture anyway! ;)

Aft Flasher
Image20180407_123158

Ventral Flasher
Image20180407_123424

I also primered my nacelle supports from my spare kit. These were straighter than my original parts but still not as level as they could be. This time I used hot water and "suggested"
to the part to be a little more straight and then froze them with cool water. I have used this technique in Dental Lab for warped retainers, so I know how to do this without
ending up with a shrinky-dink on my hands. Maybe sometime I will try the oven thing, but for now, the water trick seems to have worked.

Primered Nacelle Supports
Image20180408_174850

This is what took a majority of my time this weekend. I used Scott Minium's technique of using white gorilla glue, straws, and electrical tape to place the fiber optics into the
LEDs. Although, due to the 3mm LEDs I used, I had to resort to stir sticks rather than straws. The prinicple remains the same; at least the way I understood it. Also, I had a little
trouble with the gorilla glue sticking to the straw. Since the FO was surrounded by gorilla glue, I use CA btwn the stir stick and the glue. It seems to be working.

This is a light test to see how they look. I think I can round the ends of the Navs with a soldering iron after painting.

Ventral Saucer Light test
Image20180408_185048

Dorsal Light test
Image20180408_222546

I still have to use hot glue to place the saucer lights in the dorsal and I still have to set the flasher LED on the Aft of the B/C deck, but I am much closer to gluing the saucer
together and begin the painting process.

Thanks for reading and commenting! All suggestions for improvement are welcome!

Till next time,

Hailing Frequencies Open!

ProfArturo
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by ProfArturo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Fantastic work. How do you decide how many windows to drill out - just preference or are you matching the studio model?

I bought one of these kits myself on eBay last week but was gutted to find it was missing part no. 16 - the secondary hull ventral phaser strip, so I doubt I'll be making it any time soon.

Dingbat

Post by Dingbat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:33 pm

She's looking mighty fine Msgt! That strobe in the aft is going to look great. With my own Im thinking of wiring the light on the underside below the 3rd shuttlebay to strobe (Im using the alternate bottom ala Excalibur/Zhukov) and adding port/stbd. fibers on the extreme aft edge.
@ ProfArturo: Dont let having a missing detail part hold you up! This is a fun kit! BUILD-IT BUILD-IT! Worst case, just fill the crack or scratch one!

Return to “1/1400”