AWAC Nebula

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
scaddude
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

AWAC Nebula

Post by scaddude » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:14 pm

So technically it's not called that, but the dish does look like it's right out of a USAF AWAC.

Anyhow... so, after my re-entry into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus, I found that I had two Nebula kits in my stash. One being the Warp Models one (with its insanely brittle resin), and the AWAC version. Thing is, I have no idea who made the AWAC version. I'm 90% sure I bought it off eBay. But anyone have any recollection on who made this? I know its not Warp because this is normal resin.
awac_nebula.jpg
awac_nebula2.jpg
awac_nebula3.jpg
awac_nebula3.jpg (105.48 KiB) Viewed 927 times
awac_nebula4.jpg
awac_nebula5.jpg
Also, any recommendations on bending it to fill these gaps? I've already hit it with a blow dryer. I dunked it in hot water. All are fun attempts when trying not to burn yourself, or melt the resin....
awac_nebula6.jpg
"If nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do..."

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: AWAC Nebula

Post by andyh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:07 pm

I would think the resin is too thick for a blow dryer. Try putting it in a sink of hot water for 5 of 10 minutes and once shaped run it under cold water. There is also the oven trick, but you have it have it on a really low setting and know when to pull it out (neither answer I have).

Andy

Dr_Corsa
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: AWAC Nebula

Post by Dr_Corsa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi!

This kit is maybe from Makro Trek or it is a (cheap) copy from Warp models. But Your nacelle holder is better than Warp parts so I think it's a Makro Trek kit.

The're always gaps between AMT parts and resin kits from all manufactors like Warp. Theyr parts are just too small, not wide enough. Don't know why. My solution for this problem on my Nebula was the using from AMT part. Because You don't need this "snake head" part from AMT anymore. I cuted it just directly behind two phaser banks on the semi round line. With a super glue and a screw I connected all parts together. You can see in in my Nebula Class presentaation topic.

Greeting,
Micha
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller

Return to “1/1400”