Enterprise 1701-E post nemesis

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Enterprise 1701-E post nemesis

Post by asmcelhinney » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:17 pm

A new thread? Another project? Hell yes! It's 2017 and for the first time in forever my work/life balance is in a good place and I can and am happily dedicating a few hours most days of the week to model building, rather than the once in a blue moon situation that plagued my hobbies for the past 24 months.

Like the rest of us I have a stash of half built, opened and un opened kits, but I instead fell for the shiny new thing and bought a new 1701-E kit.

I have built and painted this model OOB back in the late 90s when it had the First Contact borg box. Great model, under appreciated and under represented in my opinion.

I also have a love/hate relationship with lighting models. I love the finished results, but hate that they so rarely get finished. This year I will finish stuff, and not light stuff for the sake of it. That said, this will be lit. Possibly with flashy strobes.

I also have the really good Starcrafts Nemesis conversion kit to give the model a more accurate appearance to the later movies. Photoetch will be acquired in the near future... I don't need it yet, and decided to spread the cost and nkt overwhelm myself getting all thebells and whistles before starting.

One thing that I am still undecided about is the paint scheme. Accreation decals for the Nemesis (and FC) Enterprise are still available reasonably easily, but the question over their quality and colour remains. There isn't (yet?) a paint mask set for the ship so that seems out, unless I make my own. I think I will make my own decals, based on those found at starshipmodeler.

One thing that I am very keen to do is a more traditional aztec pattern. There are pictures of John Eaves' concepts for the 1701-E with the old school aztec applied and I love it! The idea that the aztec would have been applied in drydock and seen in films after Nemesis really appeals to me.
enterprise-e_isometric_front_v01.jpg
Anyway, so far I'm happily drilling tiny windows, it's rather therapeutic!
1484417696191882309458.jpg
14844176461321485104128.jpg
"No matter where you go, there you are."

My fledgling YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PapanurgleForums

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Enterprise 1701-E post nemesis

Post by kobayashimaru » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:12 am

@asmcelhinney
yeah! some post-nemesis Big E, this'll be one to watch.
especially, with the 'digital' pattern of aztec

an intriguing part of your post was the lighting for the nacelles and bussards;
"possibly with flashy strobes" -
does that mean maybe even a small LCD film screen in there or something? you program the display with flash to cycle a .gif hehe
an MED that cycles through colors and is programmable with an arduino? (rainbow colored lights "Q!")
I will be very interested to see how you get the circuit to fit in there and what you wind up doing.
bonus points if you make the connections inside the model have an RC quick detach adaptor,
that way you can easily take the model off it's display stand for storage etc. :D

will you also be getting the after-market dish and photoetch accurizing kit for the main deflector?
post nemesis, it's more oval shaped and larger than the very circular one seen in ST:FC
that will be awesome to see also, though there's not a lot of space in behind there for the LED/MED.

good luck on this build asmcelhinney

starchwreck
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by starchwreck » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:42 am

Awesome!!! I've always wanted to see someone do up this version!!
Check out the models and props:

https://www.facebook.com/starchwreck

asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by asmcelhinney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:51 am

kobayashimaru wrote: an intriguing part of your post was the lighting for the nacelles and bussards;
"possibly with flashy strobes" -
does that mean maybe even a small LCD film screen in there or something? you program the display with flash to cycle a .gif hehe
You sir are a loony. Sounds like an epic idea but not for this ship - too small for such a thing to be worth doing. Maybe on something bigger, If I ever get a 350 scale ship.
will you also be getting the after-market dish and photoetch accurizing kit for the main deflector?
post nemesis, it's more oval shaped and larger than the very circular one seen in ST:FC
I shall certainly get the paragrafix photoetch, the deflector detail especially is stunning, as for making the whole dish more elliptical, not likely, unless there is an aftermarket kit that does just that?
starchwreck wrote:Awesome!!! I've always wanted to see someone do up this version!!
Hey starchwreck! Love the youtube channel, did the 350 NX-01 refit get finished? I'm really pumped to do the aztec design. Looking forward to getting my teeth into it.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

My fledgling YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PapanurgleForums

STR

Post by STR » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:03 am

I'll be watching this. I explored the possibility of doing something similar on my 1/2500 E-E, but I just went with decals instead. I've got a pile of reference material, though I'm guessing you have about as much post-new stuff as I do as all of it came from a couple of posts on John Eave's blog.
kobayashimaru wrote:post nemesis, it's more oval shaped and larger than the very circular one seen in ST:FC
That's the first I've heard of this. I looked up all of John Eave's post-New renders and sketches and none of them depicted anything more than a new surface treatment.

Though, it's hard to tell, because he'd sometimes sketch up early FC drawings from before the filming miniature was built. The AMT kits, BTW, are based on the same drawings sent to ILM, but the actual filming model was altered significantly to (in the opinion of the esteemed and venerable makers) improve the look and practicality of the product. AMT was much more faithful to the drawings.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:00 pm

OK, I am going to follow this thread because I have the same kit — that I bought from our mate "nicholassagan" — with the valuable Paragraphx PE. Thanks, Nicholas!

:mrgreen:

Let's see what happens then!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Double post... :?

Anyway, good luck asmcelhinney!