new reference shots of wolf 359 ships...

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: new reference shots of wolf 359 ships...

Post by el gato » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:04 pm

I do find the possession of these models curious. Typically, the studio considers anything used/created for the show to be "its" property, even if it's not using them, doesn't intend to use them or has no plans for using them, unless it has chosen to sell them. They even frown upon people taking stuff out of the trash. I'm not saying there's anything wrong or improper. I'm just saying that the studio seems to be so relaxed about this, especially when they're so hard-nosed about other things. Maybe they worked out some arrangement when production ceased.

I have to say I liked the Springfield better without the third highlighter pod on the ventral side.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Gidiot
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Gidiot » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:12 pm

I seem to recall a story about the USS Pastuer history, it was a model made at home by Bill George for his own personal use and then he brought it in for the series finale as the production team liked it. So the had him bring it in and touched it up. It was originally the USS Olympic. But Mike Okuda changed it to the name as seen in the series finale. On the other hand, when I asked if he still had it he neither confirm nor deny that he ever did. It could be that the original quote was a misprint and he has the images of the check on the other hand, when I asked if he still had it he neither confirmed nor denied that he ever did. It could be that he only had the images and not the actual model of the Chekov ....

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:17 am

el gato wrote:I do find the possession of these models curious. Typically, the studio considers anything used/created for the show to be "its" property, even if it's not using them, doesn't intend to use them or has no plans for using them, unless it has chosen to sell them. They even frown upon people taking stuff out of the trash.
Where does the studio's control over its apparently very valuable rubbish end? On paper, at least, those models were thrown out and taken away for burial at the local tip (NA: dump). Their owners just cut out the middle man and took them away while they were in the skips on the studio lot. At this point the studio cannot possibly have any legal claim to those models.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:40 pm

The kits were probably bought and owned by the studio. for the wolf 359 ships, i'd bet good money they got cash to buy the kits from whoever controlled the budget, bought TONS of them and the graveyard scene was the result.

As far as the Pasteur, that guy still has his model. He probably can't say anything because I bet someone threw him a bone and let him keep it. Lots of actors and behind the scenes crew take mementos when they technically aren't supposed to. Blind eyes are turned everywhere in hollywood.

Gidiot
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Gidiot » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:21 pm

I do know that not all of the kits were thrown away if you look the Buran and many background pieces that were used got auctioned off at the Christie's auction. And they still do auction off quite a few of them every now and again... If I only had a few hundred thousand dollars I could've purchased some of them.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:37 am

Yeah, the studios can dispose of them however they like. They can be thrown away, sold or given away. With Christie. they opted to sell them and make money along the way
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

paul01
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by paul01 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:00 pm

I think the pod might have to be eventually scratch built. I've gone through dozens of images of various toy and model lines from right through the 80's and 1990 (when the episode aired), and still nothing.
"It's time to put an end to your 'trek' through the stars and make room for more worthy species"

Gidiot
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Gidiot » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:37 am

paul01 wrote:I think the pod might have to be eventually scratch built. I've gone through dozens of images of various toy and model lines from right through the 80's and 1990 (when the episode aired), and still nothing.

Yeah, I've not found it, but I do have a "toy" expert looking as well. Other than that I'll keep politely asking Rick and Mike (Andrew Probert also was very kind in responding but he wasn't around for that timeframe and has no images hidden away).

Gidiot
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Gidiot » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:07 am

ok.... I was thinking.... Mike says Robotix.... hmmm... then I saw a Robotech Invid (mospeda) used as a gun in DS9...
CavBJHyUkAAQ25w.jpg
Invid "weapon" and Leg makes this DS9 Gun!
CavBJHyUkAAQ25w.jpg (40.5 KiB) Viewed 2284 times
so I started looking at Robotech (Hey, that kinda sounds like Robotix too doesn't it?)
IMG_0998.jpg
IMG_1002.jpg
2839775154_7a16b2ae83_z.jpg
2839775154_7a16b2ae83_z.jpg (92.81 KiB) Viewed 2284 times
Then I I got worried... it's so "big" at the end.... but then I thought if the secondary hull is at all like the Ent-D's it is slightly curved... and the views we have we could be slightly deceived.... Not 100% sure, and I've posted my theory to Mike Okuda (and am awaiting his response)... so I wonder if this might be IF not the piece, certainly a step towards finding the correct one....

paul01
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by paul01 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:03 am

I have to say it's the closest match to the pod so far but the hinge on this is integrated into the actual canopy itself rather than sitting on top like in the reference pic.
"It's time to put an end to your 'trek' through the stars and make room for more worthy species"

Return to “1/1400”