Section 31 JJPrise construction so far...

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Section 31 JJPrise construction so far...

Post by kobayashimaru » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:27 pm

although I'm not a fan of nuJJTrekWarsTrek,
, I can appreciate an awesomely finished and detailed model :D
look at that aztecing...

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:55 am

Thank you for the very kind words! It's an interesting design to sat the least, and...love it or hate it...it's certainly memorable. But I really appreciate the comments about the build. It's been challenging at times, frustrating during mistakes, but I'm happy to say that it's almost done and ready for final photography.
I put the last coat of semi gloss on the kit tonight. For this last coat, I mixed in a dash of interference blue prism powder. The final effect is subtle, but noticeable in the right light....which is kind of cool.
I'll be doing the final wiring of the base tonight when I get back from the mall, which is where I am right now. Sitting outside of Sephora, chained to a Man Chair, while Wifey is inside trying out new stuff. Could be worse. Could be in there with her. :shudder:

Gorn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Gorn » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Really good modelling skills. But why in the blue hell would you want to make the !!!!!!!!-terprize?
"I shall be quick and merciful."

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Post by Moongrim » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Gorn wrote:Really good modelling skills. But why in the blue hell would you want to make the !!!!!!!!-terprize?

The challenge? Hone out your skills before getting down to a REAL ship?
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:19 am

For a couple reasons.

1: Because I like it. There, I said it, and it's true. It's an interesting design that appeals to me (even though certain aspects are unbalanced). Imagine for a moment if this was a design that had somehow cropped up as a ship during the Excelsior era of the 23rd-24th century. I doubt many people would complain about it as a ship from that time period. It's just the idea of retconning the classic grey lady that gets many people up in arms.

2: Because it wasn't REALLY meant to be lit, but the kit whispered at me to give it a try. So try I did.

3: And I can say this now that it's done: Because it is a gift for someone who deserves a nice surprise. They don't yet know it's coming. I hope they like it.

I finished wiring the stand tonight. Had a boo-boo with some zip kicker versus the enamel paint of the stand, but nothing I can't fix tomorrow. So-called "professional" pics will be taken tomorrow. In the meantime, here is a picture of a messy, messy workbench.

Gorn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Gorn » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Imagine for a moment if this was a design that had somehow cropped up as a ship during the Excelsior era of the 23rd-24th century. I doubt many people would complain about it as a ship from that time period.

ya, uh, no.

It looks like a compressed dwarf, even though it's supposed to be the size of Ent-D. Reliant is not as kick ass as Ent-A, and even Reliant looks far more kickass than that 2-turd monstrosity.

Nice technique though! Got pix to your comparative skilled version of the real Enterpise?
"I shall be quick and merciful."

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:49 pm

novahobbies wrote:
andyh wrote:Luv it, Luv it, Luv it. I have resisted buying this kit, but I'm having second thoughts now :)

Andy
Andy, you ought to. I already know your build would blow mine right out of the water, and I'd love to watch it happen. :lol:

So.....the decals are done. No, the model build isn't actually completed, but the decals are done. I still need to dulcote (maybe a semigloss??), trim a couple decals, and then drill thru the paint to reveal the saucer rim windows. And of course, finish the stand which is still in its infancy. But all that can be done next week. I'm heading out of town to visit my mum tomorrow afternoon for the weekend, so we're done for this week. Of course I snapped photos. To wit:

Terrific job, nova! Love everything about this build... well, except for that static-clung hair on the starboard Bussard in the second pic. But I'm sure it's gone now ;)
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:10 am

Yes, yes, the hair is gone......

.......punk. :lol:

Resin-Modeller
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Resin-Modeller » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:15 am

She looks gorgeous
RESIN MODELLER

1/2500 and 1/1400 Scale Star Trek Modeller. New Models monthly.
Full listings can be found here and are dispatched across the globe!

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:59 pm

novahobbies wrote:Yes, yes, the hair is gone......

.......punk. :lol:

:lol: :lol:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “1/1400”