USS Excalibur-Ambassador Class

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

USS Excalibur-Ambassador Class

Post by trekriffic » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Here's a model I completed several years ago built from the AMT clear plastic Yamaguchi kit. The model is lit with grain-of-wheat bulbs which came with the kit; this was sometime before LEDs became so popular. The clear plastic was a real bear to work with and I was constantly having to repair chips to the paint along the saucer rim from bumping her against the workbench as I removed paint from the window slots. I went pretty much with the Ent-C paint scheme although I did go a little less pastel with the blues and did overspray with Testors Pearlescent Blue Metallic Overcoat, a gloss clear overcoat that gave it a metallic finish. The model has an overall semi-gloss finish. I really should take some pics including some low light ones with my new camera so you guys can see how well she lights up but these are all I have for now. Hope you enjoy them!

Ambassador Class Excalibur- AMT2 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Ambassador Class Excalibur- AMT4 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Ambassador Class Excalibur- AMT5 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Ambassador Class Excalibur- AMT1 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Ambassador Class Excalibur- AMT3 by trekriffic, on Flickr

I did a lot of research into the different striped tones underlaying the transparent blue metallic overcoat. Thankfully there were some great closeup pictures of the Yamaguchi and Ent-C available on the internet.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: USS Excalibur-Ambassador Class

Post by Cubey Terra » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:14 am

Hey, that looks really great. Yeah, those transparent bits in the kit were pretty fragile, and they didn't really fit properly. I see that you had the same issue that I did with the flux chiller grill at the back end of the nacelles. The seam is impossible to hide if you want to light it.

That said, it's a great looking Yamaguchi. I'm envious of how perfect your windows are drilled out. :)

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:24 am

Looks great!

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by RogueWolf » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:04 pm

I wish I could paint like that. :cry:
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:22 pm

RogueWolf wrote:I wish I could paint like that. :cry:
The painting was the hardest part of building this kit. The clear plastic means you avoid having to drill out all the windows but it also means that any windows you want lit have to be masked or, as the kit instructions tell you to do, scrape the paint out of each window slot with an exacto knife. I wasn't too keen on the whole scraping idea, I mean, I didn't think it would be easy to get all the oblong window slots looking neat, clean, and uniformly shaped scraping with an exacto knife so I decided to mask them instead. Now, tape can be cut easily to fit square or rectangular windows, but this ship had long narrow windows rounded at the corners which made cutting masking tape difficult and tedious. So I used liquid mask instead. Now, as anyone who's worked with Micro Mask will tell you, once you've got a few layers of primer and paint over it, it can be really tough to get it to peel up. So, after painting, I took a microbrush and carefully dabbed each window with denatured alcohol to soften the paint and the underlying dried masking fluid. Then I took a round needle file and spun it at the corner of each slot to get a nice round top and bottom for each window before working the file back and forth in the slot to clean out the paint. At that point the liquid mask was loose enough to peel off the clear plastic. After that I cleaned any remaining residue out with rubbing alcohol and a microbrush. Denatured alcohol can cloud clear plastic so I addressed any clouding issues by painting the slot with Future. It was time consuming but it worked quite well.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Post by Moongrim » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:40 pm

All in all I'd say you did a remarkably good job. And thanks for the tips.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Max Nex » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:56 pm

well done !
I look forward to the lit up shots you are planning.

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by TrekMD » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:32 pm

She looks great! Well done!
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

aurora-7
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by aurora-7 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:37 pm

Really nice finishing work.

I love the Ambassador class. I've got a resin swept pylons for the warp nacelles (can't remember who made it) and was planning on mounting some spare Enterprise-E style engines to it.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:12 pm

Well done! She looks great!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “1/1400”