AMT "K7" Station Project (UPDATED WITH NEW PICTURES)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: AMT "K7" Station Project

Post by novahobbies » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:37 pm

I tell you what. I applied the UFP decals last week, and the biggest reason I haven't photographed the final model is.....I HATE those decals. First of all, Kudos to Round2 for apparently finding some of the original decals from the 70s. :evil: Those mofos kept trying to fall apart into a million pieces. They were nothing like the decals from Round2 that I've used for the E-A and others. Secondly, I felt that the "United Federation Of Planets" decal fit nowhere well on the main hull of the station. I wound up using it, but it looks....to me, the term is Beyond Hideous. Finally, the deep black lettering for the station is totally out of scale and makes it look toylike in my estimation. These need to be a deep grey, or even perhaps Federation Blue....but absolutely NOT the 120% K black that they look like right now.

I'll be scraping these off and re-designing my own decals in Corel. I just won't be happy with these in the long run. At least this way I will be able to design them so they fit well between the ribs. Sheesh.

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:44 am

indeed, novahobbies;
I've heard it was a bad batch of unusual inconsistency for those decals...
it might've been a machine fault or storage issue, but
it seems to have effected a lot of units.
they just insta-mush, even from experienced modelmakers on a lot of other fora as well.

Yet, as you say...
we're now in an era post Eye of Error's kickstarter etc,
to have decal options like never before :lol:
so, hopefully you're able to finish the project to your envisaged final outcome standard,
because it's been awesome to see the further refinement into the project over time :D
the K7 is as iconic as Regula or the big Mushroom Starbase 001 or the ringworld, and its awesome to see some detailed buildups.
not only that, there'll be elements of your personal refined decals that's be nice for starbases or spacedock projects too from that TOS era.
Maybe we'll see a to-scale spacedock project later?

will you be recreating the TOS scenes later with some photoshopping?
that'd be AWESOME to see
thanks for sharing nova hobbies

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Kobayashi. I hope I can finish it to look nice with the updated decals.

Here is a shot of the fugly, poorly placed decals. Besides being too black, IMO the font is too bold for this text. That thick black looks OK for the K2 marking on the cone, but not for the hull.
20151004_095809.jpg
Now, here's what I came up with...
20151004_095757.jpg
20151004_095748.jpg
I used the correct hull lettering font and a less harsh color. I will need to adjust the kerning for the word "planets" juuuust a little bit so it fits in between the ribs, but I don't think anyone else will notice.

I also want to fit the UFP symbol somewhere on the kit, but I haven't decided where. I left the "KA, KB, KC" decals off of the outer cones because I think they look silly, so....maybe 3 UFP symbols, one per cone? Or would that be too much?

Thinking out loud here. Maybe put "Deep Space K-2" as part of a ring decal on the hull, scrape off the big "K2" from the cone, and put the UFP symbol there. A military outpost only has one large flagpole.....hmmm.

FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi Novahobbies,

Where can I get this little ship which is docked at the station? Is it in 1/1400? Isn't it from a book cover...

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:57 pm

Right here:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q8ZNK ... li=ostatus

It's in 1/1250 scale, but at this size the scale difference between it and my 1/1400 collection is minimal. So it looks good with the station.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:34 pm

I'm actually on Corel, drawing up decals for this tiny little bird as we speak. Guess I'm going to see just how small my printer can really go. The main hull registration is 1.2 font. :lol:

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Done playing with Corel for the day. Final decision: make the "Deep Space K-2" a circular decal on the hull, and put a UFP flag symbol on the cone. I may also use the UFP banner for the opposite side of the cone...not sure yet. But it's here in case I decide to use it. Also, spent a good 90 minutes drawing up decals for the teeny tiny USS Sagittarius. I have NO idea how well these will translate...I need ink for my printer before I can try them out. But I guess we'll see!
K-7 decals2.jpg

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:47 am

Score! thatsa some nicea decals.

I do see what you meant with the decals...
that's just a shame when that happens, and again,
I did hear it was an exceedingly bad batch across the board.
(probably the sheets were stored in direct sunlight, or in high temperature)
i'm looking forward to seeing how your custom decals pan out.

will you be printing at 600DPI+
on a lazerjet onto decal paper?
The only thing from my own limited experience in making decals with at-home decal paper (and experimentally onto larger OHT film),
is to maybe seal the decal prior to affixing to the model, so as to guarantee no bleeding of the ink
when applying washes etc :D
(learned that one the hard way myself hehehe)

FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:47 pm

novahobbies wrote:Right here:

It's in 1/1250 scale, but at this size the scale difference between it and my 1/1400 collection is minimal. So it looks good with the station.
In which quality you ordered it?

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:45 pm

FLEETYARD wrote:
novahobbies wrote:Right here:

In which quality you ordered it?
I was wondering the same thing. I've kept my eye on that one and was wondering about the resolution in WSF. I now see that we have other printing options.

Great job on the station, too. Love what you've did with it. And if my vote counts, I would do a banner versus K2 on the main cone.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “1/1400”