AMT "K7" Station Project (UPDATED WITH NEW PICTURES)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

AMT "K7" Station Project (UPDATED WITH NEW PICTURES)

Post by novahobbies » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:15 am

Since I'm wrapping up my two 1/1000 scale projects, the time has come to start seriously prepping and wiring my 1/350 scale Refit. I've put it off long enough, and I've finally gotten almost everything I want to use for my particular kit.

This is not the build thread for that model. It's going to be the build thread for the SIDE PROJECT. :lol:

How many of us focus on a single model at a time? I find it more comfortable to do two projects when I sit down to model: a main kit, and a secondary model that's usually much easier and less stressful. In this case, I've chosen the old AMT K7.

I hemmed and hawed about the scale for a while. The model is about 17 inches in diameter. If Ex Astris is correct and the station is really just 450m in diameter, then this model is very close to 1/1000 scale! If, however, I want to call this kit 1/1400 scale, then I'm going to have to assume the real station (ahem) is about 650 meters in maximum diameter. I think I can live with that. It's obviously not going to be the K7, anyway, so.......my model, my scale. :mrgreen: I think I'll put a couple docking ports along the sides of the outboard pods as well, since those areas always seemed like logical docking stations to me.

Since this isn't going to be K7, I have a little leeway to play with the kit a bit. I've always hated the idea that this huge station was supposedly almost completely devoted to storage, and hence had no windows beyond those in the towers. I'm definitely going to light this, and I may use this kit to try that white-plastic trick I had mentioned in the E-E thread.....I'll light block from the outside, then use a pin vise to drill lit ports through the paint and expose the bare white plastic underneath. I'm not going to go overboard with windows, but at least a few seem sensible. I think I may be able to use the interior lighting LED to also light up the red/green bits at the ends of each arm.

I haven't decided if I want to mess with opening up the shuttlebay. If I leave it closed, then I can use the space to mount the female end of the power connector so my model can come off of the stand. If I open the shuttlebay, chances are that I'll have to permanently mount the station and run wiring down to the power connection in the base. Decisions, decisions.

Either way it should be a fun build. I can get away with lighting it with just 8 LEDs if I don't open/light the shuttlebay, and probably 10 LEDs if I do. I may start this as early as this weekend....I'll keep ya posted.
Last edited by novahobbies on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: AMT "K7" Station Project

Post by novahobbies » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:10 pm

Well, I pulled this model out last night even though I'm still technically decalling the 1/1000 ships still. But I wanted to start getting the feel for this model, so I thought I'd play with it a bit to start planning my attack.

Boy, the plastic of this kit SUCKS. The tab for one of the arms ripped....I mean the plastic literally RIPPED at the joint. How's that for sturdy stuff?? The arm is still serviceable and I won't have any problems mounting it, but it definitely didn't give me the warm & fuzzy feeling. At least this way I know beforehand that certain reinforcement is going to be necessary.

I also lightly scribed the circumferential lines in the main hull. Even using super-light passes, I could feel the plastic scratching and catching under the scriber's tip instead of cutting cleanly. That should be fine, though, because I want these lines to be very, very minimal in this scale.

All that being said.....I have to say I'm actually quite excited about this build! I built my own K7 years and years ago out of resin using the Jackills' plans, so the shapes of this kit are similar and somewhat nostalgic. I know it's not the real K7 but in this case....I don't need it to be. It's a cool trip down memory lane, and that's definitely cool enough for me.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Post by Moongrim » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Ripped plastic? Oh yeah that brings back memories. Thus we all learn the ins and outs of reinforcing techniques.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Moongrim wrote:Ripped plastic? Oh yeah that brings back memories. Thus we all learn the ins and outs of reinforcing techniques.
YEP!! I tell ya, when they repopped this old "beauty, " I didn't think they would use the old plastic formula also! :D

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:22 am

I got the bottom of the outrigger pods scribed tonight.

Instead of a "companion build" for the 350 E Refit, I think I may just build this first to brush up on my lighting and soldering skills. It's moving faster than I thought.

Maybe the companion build will have something to do with the 4inch clear sphere I just ordered from Amazon. Or the 1/144 shuttle stack I'm bidding on. Or maybe both of those items are part of the same companion project I'm thinking of. :lol:

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:24 pm

And yes, I concentrate upon a single model at a time.

Right now I have enough models in reserve- that I could do one a month for the next ten years without having to purchase another kit- if I so desired.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Funny how those easy side bulds can get so complicated! I have this kit too and am enjoying following your progress.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:32 pm

Let's spice this up with some pictures.

I've spent a lovely quiet afternoon soldering LED wiring for this build. It's a great way to warm up to the big E Refit, since to be honest it's been some time since I've put iron to solder for a lighting project.

Scribing on the hulls:
20140328_174854_zpstvcb7j7k.jpg
20140328_174854_zpstvcb7j7k.jpg (68.89 KiB) Viewed 26 times
When dry fitting this kit, I discovered that some arm pieces fit their counterparts better than the others. So I labelled my upper and lower outer pods A, B, & C. It's a silly trick but I think it'll help the final assembly.
20140328_174937_zpsalco1vzy.jpg
20140328_174937_zpsalco1vzy.jpg (102.78 KiB) Viewed 26 times
I talked about the tab support on this. All I did to reinforce the joint was cut a second circle out of thick styrene and glue it with micro-weld to the opposide side of the joint. Basically made a sandwich with the tabs in the middle. Between this and the outer hull pieces, I don't think I'm going to have a problem with these pods any more.
20140328_175014_zpsmlmjbxux.jpg
20140328_175014_zpsmlmjbxux.jpg (86.24 KiB) Viewed 26 times
If this hasn't been done by someone, it needs to. :lol:
20140328_175052_zps1brujn2x.jpg
20140328_175052_zps1brujn2x.jpg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 26 times
Last edited by novahobbies on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:49 pm

Each pod will have 2 LEDs...one for the clear tower, and one inside the hull to shine through for the windows I'll drill later in the build.

I was toying with the idea of going crazy with the LEDs and adding some 1.8mm LEDs on the bottom of each pod and in the tips of the clear tower all on the flasher, but I decided to settle the hell down and just use this as a basic modeling exercise. I'm using 5mm LEDs for this build since those are the ones I have the most to spare.
20140328_180416_zpsug8gxgbd.jpg
20140328_180416_zpsug8gxgbd.jpg (72.12 KiB) Viewed 26 times
Last edited by novahobbies on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:40 pm

Wiring in progress.

Return to “1/1400”